What's new

Denon 3802/2802 3801/2801 ? (1 Viewer)

Harvey S

Grip
I'm researching my next receiver. Last week I asked about the Marantz and got a lot of help from this forum. Thanks, the 7200 is one of my candidates now.

The Denon 3802 and 2802 are now up for review by me. They seem to have similar features to each other and to the Marantz 7200. The differences in output power between these 3 are not significant to me. The Denon's seem to have an adjustable crossover frequency for the subwoofer output and memory for the settings used for different processor modes. I can't tell whether the Marantz has those features, can anybody tell me?

The Denon 3802 and 2802 seem very similar to me with the main differences being output power and whether there are 6 or 7 amplifier output channels. Those two features don't mean much to me as I am presently happy with a 5.1 speaker setup. Are there any other differences that would affect a decision? I have read the descriptions provided on various websites but without having them side by side in a checklist its hard to be sure, so I'm hoping someone familiar with the 2802/3802 can advise me.

At 6ave.com they also list a 2801 and 3801 that seem to be the same products as the 2802/3802 but at a discount price (595/695). I suspect they have done this as a way to advertise a lower price without getting in trouble with Denon but if I'm wrong can someone explain the difference between the '02 and '01 versions?

6ave.com seems like a favoritie source for Denon on this forum. Is there anyplace else I'd want to consider ?

kevitra

Second Unit
I don't think 6ave actually has the 2801/3801. You can get the 2802 for $595 and the 3802 for $695 from them - just ask.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Hello Harvey,

I'm sure Marantz owners will correct me on this but the 7200 is limited to either an 80Hz or 100Hz crossover only. This is often used as a knock on Marantz but few owners I've come across have ever complained about the sound...just the lack of adjustable X-over as a feature.

The main push for the 3802 seems to centered around the reasonable price step-up for the extras. Lately, as you know, the gap has closed a good bit. But if saving the extra money is important, I see no reason not to stick with the 2802...it's an excellent, quality receiver.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
There are a couple of other reasons to consider the 3802 over the 2802.

The 3802 uses a 32-bit chip vs a 24-bit chip for the surround sound processing. While it may not be perceptible to many of us, I always consider better technology important.
Since the 3802 has 7 amps on board, that also means it has a bigger/better power supply. Which means that under similar conditions, it can drive speakers easier. (Which translates to a potential longer life.)
The 3802 has a little better remote. (Although IMO, it still is not the best.)
The 3802 can drive 2 different programs at the same time...a pair of 2nd room stereo speakers and a 5.1 setup in the main room.

Almost forgot. The '02 series has Pro Logic II. The '01 series doesn't. It's only important if you listen to alot of 2 channel stereo in surround (such as regular TV or older movies that aren't true 5.1.) For me, DPL II is VERY important...

Hope this helps!

Willy burz

Stunt Coordinator
I have the avr 3801 and I love it, I was thinking about trading up to the 3802 but it's not really worth it. Really all you get is Pro Logic 2(I like DTS Neo6), 5 watts per channel more(If you think that makes a difference your crazy), and the crossover setting doesn't go low enough to warrant the 3802 over the 3801. BUT if you can find the 3802 real cheap ya might as well go for it, otherwise pay a little less for the 3801... It DOESN'T dissapoint! :emoji_thumbsup:

Aslam Imran

Second Unit
I have the avr 3801 and I love it, I was thinking about trading up to the 3802 but it's not really worth it. Really all you get is Pro Logic 2(I like DTS Neo6), 5 watts per channel more(If you think that makes a difference your crazy), and the crossover setting doesn't go low enough to warrant the 3802 over the 3801. BUT if you can find the 3802 real cheap ya might as well go for it, otherwise pay a little less for the 3801... It DOESN'T dissapoint!
I am in the same boat. Didn't think it was worth upgrading to the 3802 just for PLII and some useless crossover settings (as I have full range speakers). After reading all the complains about the 3802 (like hissing, distortion in the surround channels etc.) and after knowing about the inferior build quality of the 3802 (like plastic knobs and faceplate) I was glad I didn't upgrade. Soundwise the 3802 is supposed to be warmer than the 3801 but mated with suitable speakers they both kick ass. OTOH the 2802 is definetly a step up from the 2801 featurewise. I didnt listen to the sound of either so I couldn't comment. The 3801/3802 has a bigger and more robust power supply. That would be my reason for picking up the 3802 instead of the 2802. Most people wouldn't be able to hear the difference between 32 and 24 bit processing so dont delve into that feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks