What's new

Need help - Marantz vs. Denon (1 Viewer)

Dan V.

Auditioning
I'm planning on adding a home theater room to my basement and am in the process of acquiring new gear. I've done my research and have narrowed it down between the Marantz 7200 and the Denon 3802.
Denon, it would appear, has an amazing reputation and I've read nothing but rave reviews. Marantz a bit less, but from what I've picked-up is a pretty much similar product. Denon claims to have better sound and Marantz claims to have more punch for the buck with a much more user-friendly remote.

Can anyone help me out on this? My priority number one is sound quality, with 80% home theater and 20% music use.

P.S. Still undecided as to what I'll be hooking up to the receiver as well, but it's narrowed down between Mission M70's (although I'm thinking of going 77's), PSB Image series, Kef Q series, or Klipsch Reference series.
(check out speaker forum)...

James_N_H

Stunt Coordinator
I was in the same situation as you for a couple on months, but I went for the 7200 a few weeks back and couldnt be happier. Admittedly I probably use it 80% music and 20%cinema and as the Marantz has a better sound quality with music thats the main reason I went with it. The Denon is regarded as the better with Movies but I couldnt tell the difference and prefered the sound in music with the 7200 so went with that.
I also used to have the Mission M74's, for the money very capable speakers but you would be better off with the 77series, they may be an older design but are much more capable.

Dan V.

Auditioning
Thanx. That's pretty much what I was told. However, I've just noticed that the Denon has SEVEN discreet amps which kinda swings the balance towards the AVR3802, even if it does only have Dolby Digital 6.1.
I've also read rave reviews about the Mission Cinema 7 series, so that confirms my idea that the 70's are really an introductory series.
Appreciate the info. :)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I compared the 6200, 7200 and the 3802. I chose the 6200 because I didn't need some of the additional features of the 7200 (12v triggers, dual room, etc..), but the remote with the 7200 probably would have made the 7200 worth it had I known about the one that came with the 6200.

I've just noticed that the Denon has SEVEN discreet amps which kinda swings the balance towards the AVR3802, even if it does only have Dolby Digital 6.1.
I don't know what you mean by that. Both offer the same processing, DD EX, DTS ES discrete and matrix, DPL II. The exception is that the Denon has 7 channels instead of 6.

Specs are not the key, you have to LISTEN to them. I chose Marantz between the two because I prefer the way they sound. Marantz wins hands down for music. HT is going to be very comparable among most receivers in their respective price ranges, though I did feel the 3802 sounded a bit better for HT (hard to quantify - had to do with channel separation and sound placement).

JohnFF

Agent
No knock on Denon, they are very popular, but if sound is your thing you've got to go with Marantz. Listen to both and pick the one that sounds best to you.

Myki Cantero

Stunt Coordinator
I'm thinking of changing my receiver too. I have a Pioneer VSX-D510 as my first receiver and only after 4 months, I want to change it already.

Am thinking of getting a Denon 1802.

John, what makes Marantz better in sound as compared to a Denon? Frequency response, cleaner sound, power? Just curious. And would you know if the Denon or Marantz will definitely sound better than what I have right now?

Thanks.

Nick V

Second Unit
John G,

I was under the impression that the Marantz models do NOT posess DTS ES discrete decoders, or DTS Neo:6. I have owned both the 5200 and 6200 and am positive that these models do not have these decoders and am 99% sure that the 7200 is in the same boat features wise.

Dan,

If I was in your situation and had the same priorities, I would definately go with the Denon 3802 over the Marantz 7200. For mostly HT it seems like the better choice. It has more decoded formats and has that 7th channel of amplification that could be very useful in a larger room.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
The 3802 also has b speaker outputs for the surrounds. This is helpful if you want to run dipoles on the walls for movies and direct radiators in the rear for music.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks