Reciever or separates...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Libby, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Ryan Libby

Ryan Libby Stunt Coordinator

I was going to go with a Denon 3802, Marantz 7200, or NAD T761 but some guy I met said I should find separates for around a grand,(what I want to spend.) If I go sepearates I may go used, they seem to have good warranties. Are recievers that much inferior? I'll be using dreamcasters, or axioms, or aperions or other speakers in that quality range. I'll have to do some serious homework...the good kind. Much appreciate your assistance.

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

For a grand you'd be hard pressed to find any separates. All the receiver choices you mentioned above are great for music and HT so I think that would be your best choice and later on when you want to go separates you can add outboard amplification and get to the next level in sound.

3. Ryan Libby

Thanks Yogi. After doing some homework I have come to the same conclusion. Plus a retailer in town wants to sell me a marantz 7000 new for $500. Sounds good to me.

4. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Marantz 7000 is an excellent choice. I had contemplated purchasing it about 1.5 years back but couldn't come up with the $$$ I think it was selling for $900 back then if my memory serves me right. Last year I bought the 3802 and have been happy with it since. For $500 its a steal plus you can right away step into separates by buying a 125WX5 separate amp(used) from B&K, Rotel or Parasound for about $500. In any case it should make you very happy. Best of luck.

5. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

If I were you, unless you really want the 7000 bad, you can probably bring that price down to about $350 or so. The Marantz 7000 is a great unit, dont get me wrong, but it is now two generations behind, and it does not have prologic II or any extrat channels of amplification, if you need them. But if you are more into music listening, the 7000 is a good choice, just not at $500. If I were you, I would look out for a used 8000, as these were routinely seen as the best 5.1 receiver on the market a couple of years back. Same feature set, but better build quality and stronger amps than the 7000.

6. Ryan Libby

It appears the 7200 has better D/a converters and the inputs required for DVD-audio. Are these issues that should keep me from the 7000. I would be using this for HT a lot. Really appreciate the help.