What's new

denon 3802 for 699 at 6ave.com (1 Viewer)

Walt N

Second Unit
Check out this thread on using the 3802 as a pre/pro. http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf...&threadid=92881
It's been demonstrated over and over again that people tend to "hear" a lot of things during audio hardware comparisons which they can no longer hear once biases are removed and they can't see which component they're listening to. As with reports on "amazing" cable differences, expensive but dubious tweaks, and reports of UFO abductions this type of report is meaningless without some testing protocols in place. No blame or fault given to the reporter, we are all prone to bias coloring our objective evaluations and that's why you'll never see "Wow, I just completed a DBT with a Rotel amp vs.a Sunfire amp and the Sunfire blew the Rotel away!"
It would be very interesting to see or partake in a verifiable blind comparison of the two units in question. I have little doubt that some very different results would be obtained.
With regard to the warranty issue, Earl's posted message from the Denon website says it all. The Denon rep quoted above knows not of which he or she speaks. Too bad the bargain AVR-3802 deal is over at 6th Ave, $699 was an absolute steal for this unit.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I would also think that the 3802 would give the 1066 a run for its money. In spite of the "Rotel lovers" posting on the other link! :)
And when the 3803 comes out with 24/192 DACs, for me, the choice would be even more clear. Or should I say, "audible" ...

Jason Price

Second Unit
Doh! I'm rather bummed that the price went back up... :frowning:
My Yamaha 2095 was taken out by lightning recently, and I was considering going with the 3802 + 3ch amp as a replacement. I've been unable to pull the trigger on the 3802 because my insurance company is taking its sweet time letting me know what they consider "replacement value" for the receiver (I'm a bit worried about that). Guess I'm going to have to look elsewhere... :frowning:
Anyone have an ETA on the 3803?

JohnVB

Stunt Coordinator
I just got my 3802 today.

For some reason I can seem to change the tuner to listen to different radio stations using the remote. The only way I can listen to stations is to select the 'preset' button on the unit itself and turn the Function dial. That only lets me get to the preset stations created in the setup.

As a test, I tried to select preset stations using the remote. The instruction manual says to press the enter/shift button until the memory preset block is displayed. Well, when I do this, the display only shows options for adjusting individual speaker volumes, but the presets aren't displayed.

The remote's mode button doesn't seem to do anything to the tuner. and neither does the band button.

I have so far been unable to just change the tuner to some arbitrary frequency. I don't believe there's a way to do this on the unit, and the remote isn't working the way I expect.

Am I missing something, or is my unit or remote possibly bad?

- bones

DevinT

Grip
If anyone has an Ultimate Electronics in their area and are interested in the 3802, they sold me mine for an even 720. I had to talk them down quite a bit but I went home with a smile. The company has been really good to me in the past and I highly reccomend them. I got the best of both worlds: internet pricing with the full warranty and the convenience of dropping it off if ever there is a problem. I am only 20 and they still treated me with respect, something that is a rarity at my age

Debra F

Agent
I called 6rh ave ,figured i give it a try .Sometimes these deals pop up again after awhile.

Well, "6th ave" did the right thing for me : >

When i called they said it's no longer $699 and the special deal is over.

I mentioned this thread ( also emailed it to xxx@6th ave.com)and xxx was very nice and gave it to me for $699 which he didn't have to.

xxx will get my buisness in the future for sure! Even tho the deal was over they came thru!

Debra

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Best place I have done business with for mail order.Circuit City is a good place but CC's selection is very limited and they don't sell appliances anymore .:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: . Sears will sometimes come through with a great delivered price for heavy items(65"tv). But through the mail , 6th Ave is tops and JR, Oades is up there with them for non Denon stuff.:emoji_thumbsup: :D ;) :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Debra F

Agent
Earl,

I buy all my appliances from Sears. They always come thru and price match,also never any problems with returning things. I couldn't get Sears to price match my Mits 65" HDTV ( went to 3 sears stores) so went with local dealer (Authrorized dealer) and they priced matched.

As for JR their prices seem a little high. Do they do deals like 6th ave if you call them up instead of placing order online or in the brick/mortar?

Debra

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Debra:

In my experience with J&R, their website prices are negotiable. If you call them about a product and ask them if they can do better on a particular price, they often do. Many times I've heard something like: "what can I do to get you to buy this today?"

Also, as a native NYer now transplanted south of the Mason-Dixon line, I feel good about supporting J&R. They're part of the downtown economy, after all.

--AM

Debra F

Agent
Angelo,

You said: "Also, as a native NYer now transplanted south of the Mason-Dixon line, I feel good about supporting J&R. They're part of the downtown economy, after all"

Wow, My hats off to you : >

I'm looking for POlk speaker's. I'll call J and R this afternoon and see what happens.

My 3802 arrived about a half hour ago, i can't believe
it : > There was a hole in the box ,but when opening it i noticed it was double box and filled with styrofoam,inner box didn't seem to be damaged, great!

Less than 24hrs, ok it came from NJ to NY , but I have bought things online from NJ and it took much longer to arrive. I guess it all depends upon when they fill your order.

6ave promised me it would arrive today and it did.Thanks 6av!

Now i must go speaker hunting (big grin)this will be my third speaker upgrade, LOL, and the last unless i hit lotto,lol.

Debra

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Kinda off topic, but for any of you that have ever been to the actual J&R store, is it worth stopping in? I'm going to NY next week for a few days and wondering if it'd be worth stopping in.

Aaron

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Aaron

Though I've never been there J&R's store is huge. I think you would have a ball.

Oh yeah, be prepared to get a case of the "wants" from visiting the store.

Artie

Debra F

Agent
YES IT'S PRETTY BIG!

Takes up about a block. Different entrance for each section, Music, Computers and audio.

As for prices you might be better off calling their online number and haggle with them.It's been mentioned here that JR will work with you regarding prices.

I haven't been there in years ,but it's fun walking thru and checking everything out.

Check out their site.If you see anything you want call their online number and see what they can do. Tell them you will come in and pick it up when your in town:>

Have fun in NY : >

Debra

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks