Denon 2802 or 2803

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Angus*B, May 26, 2003.

1. Angus*B

Angus*B Auditioning

May 18, 2003
    I am looking to upgrade my old sony reciever and was looking at the h/k 525 and read a few threads on the them. Then went and ran accross a 2802 which the salesman said they only had 2 left making room for the next model 2803. I am able to get this reciever for less than normal selling price and was wondering if I should wait for the next series. Is there that much of a difference in the two?

2. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

May 29, 1999
    There are several improvements. But like anything else, some of the improvements are critical to some, not others.

The 2803 has (over the 2802):
    Melody SHARC floating 32-bit surround processor, separate control of DPL II and DTS Neo:6 Music and Cinema modes (treats them as separate modes for memory etc.), DTS 96/24, updated DACs (2 per channel), true HD bandwidth component video switching, and auto surround mode (remembers mode by signal type per input really cool!)

I went from a 3802 to a 3803 and haven't regretted it one second. Others may think I wasted my $$$.

Check out both units. You may find the 2802 will do all you're after.

Oh I almost forgot. The 2803 also allows you to turn off the sub individually in each mode. The 2802 only allows it in Direct mode.