1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Denon 2802-buy or wait for 03?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KevinVM, Oct 10, 2002.

1. KevinVM

KevinVM Agent

Hi,

Im looking at possibly purchasing a 2802(I would go 1803 but I need preouts), or would I be wise and wait to see what the 2803 will offer(for more money im sure)? Im looking at spending roughly 600 or so on a receiver. Thanks

Kevin

2. Justin H

Justin H Stunt Coordinator

I've been looking into the same issue. The release of the 2803 could be a ways off (may want to check the 3803 thread for release date info) so I've been looking into other options. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on the 1803, because I really want all the options possible for decoding (DD EX, dts-es, PLII, 6 ch, etc) and at 80 wpc I think it will be sufficient in powering my JBL N38's and S26 surrounds. The 2802 can be had at a good price right now, but with more features right around the corner I just can't do it. You may also want to check out the Onkyo TX-SR700. I was looking at that piece last night, has all the features the 1803 does and 100 wpc. It's priced between 550 and 600 on the 'net.

3. Barry BB

Barry BB Stunt Coordinator

The 2802 is a great receiver and with the new models ready to come out I would think that dealers will be willing to negotiate a good price.

I have not compared the features on the 2802 against the new models so I don't know what is different. But if you've done your comparisons and there is nothing on the newer models that you feel you can't live without then I'd try and snag a 2802 for a good price.

4. Richard Harvey

Richard Harvey Stunt Coordinator

I've had nothing but a FABULOUS experience with my 2802. Like you, I also wanted preouts. The only thing "missing" at this point is DD-EX, but if I'm reading my manual correctly they get around this a little by offering a "matrixed" DD 6.1. So, really, I haven't found any formats I would want or need that isn't handled by this receiver.

As another poster pointed out, if/when the 2803 is announced with a street date, you might be able to snag a heck of a deal on a 2802.

Rich

5. KevinVM

KevinVM Agent

Has there been any specs released for the 2803 or a release date of any sort?

Also..what do you think about a 2802 with a Rotel 980BX power amp on assist? Ive got the amp and might as well use it..hence the need for preouts.

Kevin