What's new

Denon 2802 DD-EX display? (1 Viewer)

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
I love my Denon 2802 matched with my Diva speakers, but I was wondering about the Denon when it came to DD-EX sources?

What will the tuner display when I am watching a DD-EX encoded DVD?

When I have a DTS-ES Discrete Disc it says "ES Discrete" and then when I put in a DTS Matrix Disc it says "ES Matrix", but when I play DD-EX encoded disks it says "6.1 surround"

Is "6.1 Surround" the way that Denon says DD-EX? Or is that just what it does automatically.

BTW: I have the 2802 set to find the flag automatically.

Does this have to do with something about the disks that are not flagged with DD-EX? Or does the 2802 only display "Matrix" only if it is DTS Matrix and not DD-EX?

Does it still play decode DD-EX (which is Matrix) But just does not display it?

Thank you for all your help in advance!

You are correct. 6.1 Surround is Denons way of saying DD-EX. They released the receiver before the DD-EX name could be used. DD-EX was named THX-EX and they would have needed THX certification to sell the product with that display. In the end, 6.1 Surround is the exact same thing as DD-EX.

KwongC

Agent
6.1 indicates there are 6 channels, which means you have a "rear center channel" correct? Isn't DTS-ES also a 6 channel signal?

DevinT

Grip
Grady,
From my experience with the 3802 the only time I have ever seen the surround back signal detect light up is on a dd-ex disc with a flag. I don't believe many discs have the flag. The only one I have used that the receiver recognized was Disney's Atlantis. Most discs with dd-ex don't contain the flag such as LOTR and Harry Potter. These ex discs don't read any different on my 3802 display than a standard 5.1 DD disc. That is what I have noticed from my experience. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
Devin:

I really wonder about that, because I have a THX Demo Disk (i.e. the Kenwood Entra promotion DVD) and it has THX-EX trailers and they have the flag and my receiver says Matrix. But just like you I have played Atlantis and it too does have EX on it!

But.... is my receiver playing a DD-EX sound out of the back speakers with it is playing a DD-EX disk? I want to make sure that I am hear the best possible sounds from the disk if I am watching The Lord Of The Rings, or am I just getting a 5.1 playback? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks