What's new

Should I set my Denon2802 to automatically detect Matrix EX and DTS-ES? (1 Viewer)

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
I have it set to automatically detect any DD-EX disks of DTS-ES Disks, but I thought that Harry Potter was a DD-EX disk, and yet all it says is Dolby D.

How do I force my Denon 2802 to be in Matrix mode (i.e. DD-EX)?

And if I do force it into that mode what will the display say?

Thanks for all your help and assistance!

Robert G

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm. I am not sure. I am new to the EX & ES world. I just got my 3802. When mine is set to automatically detect EX it will decode even non EX material into 6.1. This is what it does on Harry Potter. I do not think that the Harry Potter disc is lableld properly because my 3802 does not see it as EX material but as I said before it decodes the 5.1 into 6.1 on it's own. Maybe someone with more experience will come along.

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
Robert:

What does your Denon display when you are viewing Harry Potter?

Does it say "6.1" or "Dolby D" or "Matrix EX"?

I hear sound out of my rear speakers, but the display says "Dolby D" I just want to make sure that my receiver is putting the sound into a Martixed EX, and not just Dolby Digital 5.1. Thanks!

WesleyHester

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Hester
Grady, first check out this link:
http://www.docdvd.com/exdvds.shtml
As you can see from this list none of the Dolby 5.1 EX discs have flags to tell your receiver to switch except Atlantis. I have the same "problem" with my Onkyo - it's set to auto but I haven't come across any flagged EX discs. A good example is Harry Potter: encoded in EX but without a flag.
DTS-ES Matrix is another story, my Onkyo does allow for ES detection to be set to AUTO. As you can see from the list again, only 3 discs have ES Matrix flags (I personally know they DO work though). Again, without the flags you'll have to set the mode manually like EX.
From the list, you can see that ALL the ES Discrete discs have flags and should switch your receiver over automatically if it has an ES AUTO mode. Furthermore, the nature of ES Discrete allows it to "kick in" more times than not via the ES decoder itself.
Hope this helps. Just remember, your receiver's AUTO features will work if you can just get properly flagged disc. The studios just haven't released them as such.

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
OK, Thanks Wesley:

I guess what I am asking for those Denon owners is how do I switch to EX and ES manually if the disk does not have the flag?

Thanks

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
I've got a 3802 and I've turned off the AFDM feature. I'd prefer to have be able to turn the SB channels on and off at my discretion.

Robert G

Stunt Coordinator
Grady,
It says 6.1 DVD I beleive. I am not home to check it right now. But I will tonight or tomorrow night. By then you'll probably have more answers with all the details laid out as there are many Denon owners around here.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
On the 3802, you can leave the rears on all the time. Thats what I do. And it will be discrete when you have a discrete source. Otherwise it will pump surround stuff through them. I feel that if I have 7 speakers by George, I want to hear them pumping all the time. Just hit the 6.1/7.1 button. You can manually select EX, I think!!!! I just got Harry and have not tried it yet. Let me put the beast on!!!

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
OK, I had some weird results. It played fine the first time and I set it to auto flag detect and Matrix for non 6.1 material. I tried to play it again after the BORROWERS and the Doby digital light would not come on. So I took the auto flag off and played another disk with DD and then played Harry Potter with the DD lite on. I will do the whole thing again. The auto detect flag may be a bug??????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????

One of the DVD's played with the 6.1 in the display window of the 3802 the first time. I never noticed that scroll before in the display.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Just did the auto flag on and I get a 6.1 surround DVD scroll in the display and the DD light is on. WOW. It must really screw up the system when you go to a non flagged disk and back again.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
ES mode
Terminator 2. I put the auto flag sub channel detect on and matrix for non sub material in the setup menu. It gets stuck on matrix in that mode with a sub light on(ES selected on the DVD menu)( I even tried nonmatrix and off and it still was stuck in matrix). I go to no sub channel detect and it shows a sub detect light and everything is normal( no matrix banner in the display).

EX mode(DVD menu)has no sub detect light no mater what I do.

So I am baffled as to what to put it in myself for EX. I think I got Harry to work in sub detect once with martix selected for non sub material and a 6.1 in the display. Boy , this can be a real mess trying to keep up with all the settings. I may just skip EX and only use ES or 5.1.

Just checked the link above and I guess it was supposed to be stuck in matrix. I did not realize that ES matrix was a flag on DVD's. Now I need to check a real 6.1 ES disk with a auto detect on an matrix for non auto detect disks to see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks