What's new

Denon 1602/1802..recommendation (1 Viewer)

Richard_s

Second Unit
I have the JBL N26 fronts and N-center. A few individuals have recommended the Dennon 1602 or 1603 based on a few factors. Would like to find out how those of you familiar with these units like them. If you have a JBL setup even better.

Factors:

Are a good match for my speakers.

The 1602 met my $400 price

Has my minimum requirement of DTS, DD5.1 and DPL II

I have already been warned about the remote being less than wonderful but I can live with that.

The 1802 is $100 more than the 1602 and it appears that the only difference between the 1602 and the 1802 is the amplifiers are 70w vs 80w? Is that the only difference?

With my current 70W/channel older Pioneer VSX-602s I get some sibilance not to mention only DPL. I assume that when I am told that the Dennon is a good match for my JBL's does that mean that the Dennon Receivers are "warm" (won't emphasize the sibilance)?

Thanks ALL!!

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
One other difference between the two that I'm aware of: the 1602 only has "spring clips" for the "B" speakers where the 1802 has binding posts. Yes, the remote is crappy as indicated. However, I never expected it to be the remote that could control all of my components because I needed "learning" capability. I'm using the MX-500 universal remote which is a steal at $115.00 (delivered).

I would go for the 1802 if I were you. There are lots of sources where you can purchase this receiver from. Don't overlook the following: For Sale sections of the various home theater forums and also consider some of the on-line vendors that sell the receiver for a good price but kick in their own 2-year warranty since they are not an authorized Denon dealer. Also, remember that the Denon AVR-882 is the same as the 1802. Some vendors sell the 882 for a bit less. For example, I've found one vendor that sells the 882 for less than $350 - shipped.

Richard_s

Second Unit
Thanks I did not know that the 882 is the same as the 1802. Also the heads up on the warranty issue is a great help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks