What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Definitive DCU Animated series scorecard! (1 Viewer)

Eric F

Screenwriter
I also tend to think TT inspires deliquency among the young folk.:D

You'd also think that what with all the "doomsday" scenarios the TTs face that some of the major DCU players would show up. Bats has never been mentioned by name, but Robin has said "I've been trained by the best"- Whatever that means.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
Just out of curiosity: what is the official title of the first reincarnation of Batman in the modern DC Universe, Batman: Gotham Knights or The New Adventures Of Batman & Robin? And why do both titles exist (I think I know, but I'd like confirmation)?

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
According to Batman: Animated, Gotham Knights was Timm, Dini, et al's preferred title for the show. They even did up title cards for use in the series. But TPTB at WBA decided on the catchy title of "The Batman/Superman Adventures." I'm not entirely sure where TNAB came from, but the best bet is that it's a creation of WBA. Most die-hards call the show Gotham Knights, which is how it is listed at the imdb.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

I always wanted to see Dini, et. al., take a stab at the Teen Titans. They could be thrown into the mix on JLU. They'd be able to do more interesting things with them on JLU than the more cartoonish TT.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
Okay, then. Gotham Knights it is.

I wasn't watching anything animated by the time Batman: Gotham Knights came on, because I thought that it wasn't cool or whatever. Man, I was a stupid fifth grader. It sounds Gotham Knights was as good as the B:TAS storylines, but with cleaner animation.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

One of the all-time best episodes is in this batch: Over the Edge. Batman is unmasked and hunted by Commissioner Gordon and others. Mad Love is another gem. The tone of B:GK is, on the whole, quite a bit darker.

BTW, imho, The Joker was never any funnier than in World's Finest.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
How is the Tim Drake incarnation of Robin? Obviously, he would be different from the Dick Grayson Robin, if for nothing else because of the age difference.

BrandonJF

Second Unit

This really doesn't have much to do with that quote - I'm just using it as a springboard to whine about the character design. :)

The Joker is my favorite character, but even Dini or Timm admitted that character design didn't work. I hated it and couldn't believe they took away pretty much every distinguishable feature of the Joker. He looked like an old, blue man. I was so glad that they "fixed" it for Batman Beyond : ROTJ and Justice League. At least we got a brief reprieve in the fantastic "Legends of the Dark Knight" episode where we got the 30's/40's version of Joker.

The character remained great, though, and World's Finest was very good.

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned The Zeta Project, the short-lived spinoff to Batman Beyond. I consider this series a part of the official DC animated continuity, though others may dissagree. I really hope it gets released on DVD someday, as I never got to see all the episodes.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
Every time there's a DC Comics Classic Collection DVD release, there are two titles released, and one has always been Batman affiliated. Batman Beyond Volumes 1 & 2 will probably be released next year with Superman Volume 3 and SuperFriends Volume 3. The Zeta Project (and/or Justice League/JLU) will probably start on releases when Batman, Superman or SuperFriends releases are completed.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
"The New Batman Adventures" is pretty weak compared to "Batman: The Animated Series" not just in style of drawings/animation, but also in writing. I'm debating whether or not to get the DVD set when it comes out. The two previously mentioned episodes (Mad Love and Over The Edge), are some of the only ones in the series that had the emotional depth and intelligence of the best dramatic "Batman: The Animated Series" episodes.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I didn't catch many of the Gotham Knights eps when they first aired, but the ones I caught, I enjoyed immensely...ESPECIALLY Mad Love. I also remember a great one about the Ventriloquist being released from Arkham, but dealing with the temptation of becoming Scarface again due to the machinations of some thugs who aren't ready to let their old boss go. That was an excellent, and really dark (to the point that is surprised me) episode.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex

there may be a reason for that... :)

personally, i'm hoping that Batman Beyond is the volume of Batman: TAS after v4's Gotham Knights.

that would be _very_ nice.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
Do you mean that Batman Beyond should be B:TAS V5, or that it should just follow after B:TAS V4?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Is this some kind of web-based animated show? Who worked on it? The Dini/Timm team or any of the TAS crew?

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex

either would suit me. i thought that it was a pretty decent followup (overall) to the TAS stuff. i never saw Gotham Knights (at least, if i did, i didn't realize that i was watching it), but have definitely enjoyed the BB episodes that i've seen to date.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I got into BB pretty early. My (then girlfriend) wife and I would watch it every Saturday. At first she thought I was a nerd. Now, she still thinks I'm a nerd, but she liked the show. It was smart and fun, and showed the love of the DCU and superheroes inherent in Dini/Timm's work. That said, it's over 50 shows, so it'll need two releases. I don't care what they call it...as long as it gets released.

Hopefully, when GK is released this December, we'll hear something about it.

Take care,
Chuck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks