What's new

Definitive DCU Animated series scorecard! (1 Viewer)

I wanted to start a DCU thread to find out what DCU animated( Dini universe) DVD's were currently available,the correct order of viewing and any upcomming releases and thoughts in general. Just thought it would be nice and easy to find all that in one thread.

Anyone that is in the know want to start the list of what's out, whats missing and what's upcomming?

Ok to get things going. Here's what i know that it out.

Batman the animated series complete seasons 1-3
Superman the animated series complete season 1
Batman beyond: Return of the Joker, The Movie.

I know there are the assorted Justice league DVDs, as well as Batman Beyond. But i have no idea as to the correct order that they are supposed to be watched and how many are available.

Does anyone know when Season 2 of Superman is to be released?

todd s

Senior HTF Member
The way Warner is handling the Justice League cartoons is atrocious. Sporadic episodes of the original and Unlimited series. :angry: :thumbsdown:

I think if they were smart they would strike while the iron is hot on JL and release full sets. At this rate who knows how long it Will take to get those.

Here is a list of the stand alone Batman movies/Direct to video releases.

Batman

Batman & Mr. Freeze: Subzero
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (uncut)
Batman/Superman: Worlds Finest
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman (never seen it, not sure about the quality)

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
Besides the various Batman: The Animated Series compilation discs, Seasons 1-3 (as mentioned earlier in this thread) are available. Also, the theatrical release of Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, as well as the direct to video features Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (which is available in both uncut and edited cut releases), Batman and Mr. Freeze: Subzero, and Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman, are available.

The pilot to Batman Beyond (which includes the first few episodes of the series) has been released, along with a couple of compilations discs of various episodes.

Superman: Last Son of Krypton, and The Batman/Superman Movie are out, but they are simply three-part episodes of Superman: The Animated Series (of which the entire first season is available) edited into feature length movies. I believe there was also a compilation disc released of Superman: The Animated Series too.

The three part pilot of Justice League, and the three part episode, Starcrossed, were released as feature length DVDs as well. There are also, as mentioned, a few other sporadic compilation discs of Justice League and Justice League Unlimited out there.

So what we really need (as far as I'm concerned) are season sets of ALL these series...with Justice League and Justice League Unlimited in anamorphic widescreen...as well as an anamorphic release of Return of the Joker (which is widescreen, but non-anamorphic) and Mystery of the Batwoman (which was filmed widescreen, but released cropped).

Subzero was released in both widescreen and full screen on Laserdisc, but only the full screen version is on the DVD. It would be nice to have the matted widescreen version available (anamorphically, of course).

BrandonJF

Second Unit
We'll also be needing a few episodes of Static Shock...

The Big League - with Batman, Robin, and The Joker.
Hard as Nails - with Batman, Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn
A League of Their Own (Parts 1 and 2) - with the Justice League
Toys in the Hood - with Superman and Toyman
Future Shock - with Terry McGinnis and Bruce Wayne
Fallen Hero - with Green Lantern and Sinestro

I suppose it could be argued the whole Static Shock series is part of the animated DC:U... It does seem to be in continuity with the ongoing series' and the charcter has also appeared on JL:U. There is currently one Static Shock DVD out with the first half of season 1 (no "regular" DC hero appearances, though).

Hey Brandon are those episodes strictly from the Static Shock series?

If Krypto is to be counted then i will have to gouge out my eyes and ears out first! :D

BrandonJF

Second Unit
Yeah - those are all Static Shock episodes.

I'll never count Krypto.

I didn't throw in Teen Titans, either, since I'm convinced it is not within the same continuity that all the other DCUA shows exist in.

I'm not counting the Green Lantern Corps episode of Duck Dodgers, either. :)

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator
I don't care what anybody says, officially or otherwise, I like to think of Teen Titans as a prequel series. In S1 of BTAS, Robin is already ~18 years old. On Teen Titans, he's more like 14-15. And in the episode, "How Long is Forever," TT's Robin has aged into Nightwing, which we all know was Dick Grayson (the first Robin) after he got old enough.

So continuity-wise, you could put it like this:

TT
BTAS
STAS
TNAOBAR
SS
JL
JLU
BB

Inserting the various movies where applicable. And no, I don't count Krypto, either.

If I had to, I'd put the Duck Dodgers episode before JL in continuity, because Hal Jordan is GL of earth (before John Stewarr) in that episode. Of course, the show takes place in the 24th 1/2 century, so never mind.

BOMM,

CS

I guess you might be able to include Tean Titans but given the tone of the show i have a hard time taking any of it seriously enough to include it.JMHO.:)

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
How do Last Son of Krypton and World's Finest appear on the Superman season set? Are they edited into 60-minute features instead of 3 20-minute eps?

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
World's Finest will be on a later set (most likely the third, I think). Last Son of Krypton is made up of three twenty-something minute episodes.

BrandonJF

Second Unit

We know he's Dick Grayson, but he is a completely different character than the Dick Grayson in the Dini/Timm DCU. Never takes off his mask, probably sleeps in the costume, acts like Batman (something the BTAS Grayson could never be accused of)... If that Robin character somehow fits into continuity with BTAS, he did ALOT of changing between his time with the Titans and his intro in BTAS. There is nothing that has ever linked the shows, while BTAS, Superman, Justice Leauge, and Static Shock have all referred to each other at some point. I think Batman mentioned the Titans on a Static Shock episode (or somewhere), but I'm pretty sure at that time Tim Drake would have been Robin.

I don't think they've ever said he was 14-15. I've always assumed he was at least 16 given the fact that he has a license to drive a motorcycle. :) I would hope he was 18, since he has zero adult supervision and apparently doesn't attend school (unless every episode takes place on a weekend). Or, given the style and tone of the show, it just doesn't matter.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

They'll be unedited. World's Finest will appear in the upcoming V2 set. As already mentioned, Last Son of Krypton is unedited on the V1 set. There are a total 54 episodes, broken up into 3, 18 episode volumes.

I'm glad to hear that Gotham Knights will be out before the end of the year and packaged as V4 of the BTAS set. I'm glad that WBHV is tying the two series together.

Anyone who's a fan of BTAS needs to get their hands on Batman: Animated by Chip Kidd & Paul Dini if they haven't already. It's the behind the scenes scoop on the making of both series with fantastic pictures and a handy episode guide.

I believe Ace is the dog in Batman Beyond, sans the talking and costume. While the BB ace is based on the old (silly concept)of Ace The Bathound, it is not to be taken literally as the same dog. More of a wink at the obscure(until now) concept.

Even though Superman may have appeared on Krypto there is no way that i will consider it Canon to the DCU(dini U), much the same way i don't consider Teen Titans, just way too silly.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
Rumour has it that "The New Batman Adventures" (aka "Batman: Gotham Knights") and "Superman: The Animated Series Volume 2" DVD sets will arrive in December.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks