What's new

Deep Space Nine - I Miss It (1 Viewer)

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Anyone know why Frank Langella was uncredited?
It was his gift to his children and Star Trek. He didn't want to be credited for it.

DS9 will always hold a special place in my heart, along side it's thematic twin, Babylon 5. All 7 seasons in one year is not being kind to my wallet (or all the other releases out there waiting to be purchased), but I don't think I'd have it any other way.

Terry St

Second Unit
Certainly, it was the last Trek endeavor to begin before the franchise started going south. (I guess I'd consider 1994's Generations to be a big turning point).
Actually, in a way I feel DS9 was the series that was responsible for the franchise going down the tubes. Don't get me wrong, I loved DS9. Just let me explain...

The early seasons of DS9 were very similar to TNG. Plots were frequently focused on ethics, politics or diplomacy. Exploration of the new and strange in the form of visitors from the gamma quadrant, the Bajorans, or the non-starfleet residents of the space station were also common themes. While the tone of the show was often dark (e.g. terrorism, poverty, torture, exploitation, ambition, greed, etc.), fistfights and phaser battles were present only in small quantities to support the occasional plot that called for them. Fan response was luke-warm. People were getting tired of the control-freak peacenik Starfleet that TNG developed. So DS9 adapted.

The introduction of the dominion conflict and the Defiant heralded the change to a much more action oriented series. In the later seasons action sequences were the norm, rather than the exception. For the most part these sequences were mandated by the plot, and not vice versa. It was war after all! It worked. The later seasons of DS9 became very popular with Trek fans. Here was the Star Trek series willing to "knock some heads" that fans had been yearning for! Then someone got the idea that the violence and special effects were what was making DS9 a success, not the plots. This is where I think Trek started to go wrong.

Voyager and Enterprise are both extemely formulaic. To be more specific, they are based on an action formula. A brawl, phaser fight, space battle or special effects climax is manditory for almost all episodes. While DS9 had a war going on, these shows have to fudge their exploration driven plots up in a major way to fit the action in. This has resulted in two relatively poor action series rather than intelligent sci-fi dramas like TNG or TOS. The action isn't even that good. Nothing in Voyager or Enterprise to date comes close to being as spectacular as the Defiant ripping up rank upon rank of Dominion fighters. Then there's crap like Vulcan Kung-Fu!!

So you see why I have mixed feelings about DS9. It was indeed the last good Star Trek on TV, but it was also the series that paved the way for the unimaginative drek we're stuck with today. We can only hope the major retooling for the third season of Enterprise that is in the works actually improves the show. With our luck it will probably involve more bleeping time travel hijinks.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Well, one thing you must remember is that Rick Berman had virtually NOTHING to do with DS9 after Voyager came along. That's when Ira Behr was brought on as showrunner, and the show went from great to incredible. Given that it's his Voyager crew that's destroying things right now, and that most of the DS9 crew have moved on, I'd say there's no real corelation

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
DS9 will always be my favorite sci-fi show as you can tell by my online nickname is :). I love it all from the Emissary to What you leave behind. I think the reason i like it so much is it intergrated so much from the trek universe. TNG had there aliens of the week. Sometimes klingons and romulans would be in the same episode, but they never stuck to one continual story line. DS9 everyone interacted all the the time and each decision affected what happened every week and in future episodes. Klingons, Maqui, Romulans, Cardassians, Bajorans, Ferengi, Dominion, and the list goes on and on. The main cast of was terrific but what made ds9 special was its supporting cast of charectors. Martok, Dukat, Rom, Nog, Damar, Weyoun, Garek, Sloan, Kai Winn, Vic, Shakar and the list can keep going on and on till the end of the world. I can not wait for seasons 3-7. I may have to watch my VHS tapes im so hyped for the rest of the series.

capt

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I miss it too, and have been greatly enjoying the show on DVD.

Trekkie moment: My wife dragged me to a Sci-Fi convention in Baltimore last year, cuz Spike (from Buffy) was there. I had the pleasure of meeting Nana Visitor, and told her that DS9 was always my favorite because of the characters growth. She very enthusiastically agreed with me, and we chatted for a bit more.

And another side note: Last year Pocket Books started releasing new DS9 novels taking place after the series end. This month a hardcover is coming out featuring the return of a prominant character.

Has anyone read any of these? I know they will be losing something in the translation, I'm just wondering if they are worth the read.

Here is a link that lists the books in the relaunch. There may be a spoiler or two ahead. This may be the only way to see the continuing adventures of the DS9 crew. I have heard that the folks presently in charge of ST have little interest in doing a DS9 movie. However, they may consider mixing in some DS9 characters into another film, if there ever is one!

Lee Jamilkowski

Stunt Coordinator
Author S.D. Perry gave birth during the writing of the hardcover novel Unity, so the book's release date was delayed until November.

And the "relaunch" books are well worth the price and the continuing story.

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
Any series that goes with a three-part second season opener is good in my books. Rather than do a cliffhanger and resolution, they kick things into high gear right off the bat and then spend the time to actually do it.

And amazingly enough, there were enough correlations with the world today, ten years ago. Good stuff.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
That's something I always liked about DS9 - they never ended a season on a cliffhanger, but just gave the audience good reason to come back.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
"In the Pale Moonlight" is one of Treks best episodes. And yes Garak's speech and Sisko's last line are chilling.

Todd K

Second Unit
Well, one thing you must remember is that Rick Berman had virtually NOTHING to do with DS9 after Voyager came along. That's when Ira Behr was brought on as showrunner, and the show went from great to incredible. Given that it's his Voyager crew that's destroying things right now, and that most of the DS9 crew have moved on, I'd say there's no real corelation
-Alexander grows up over night, played by a new actor and old enough to join the Klingon military. Boo. And speaking of Worf's relatives, his brother joining a new family was totally ridiculous. And what happened to Kurn's children?

-Anybody can sit at any station on the Defiant? Ok, now I'm being a geeky nitpicker.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
I watched "The Hem'hadar" last night and it reminded me about 2 things.

I had forgotten how that episode shows the dominion's resolve by ramming the oddessy and destroying it. I remember the first time I saw it, I was like "OH, daaaamn."

The other thing that always bugged me a little about DS9 (even though it could be forgiven) was there USE and RESUE of the Freakin' Enterprise D Model. It the Oddessy, for example and it was in alot of other episodes, believe me. I know it's not easy to just build a new model, but dang did they have to keep reusing one so well know? I mean, no offense, but I'm going to notice!

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
My post again, without all the mistakes... sorry!

watched "The Jem'hadar" last night and it reminded me about 2 things.

I had forgotten how that episode shows the dominion's resolve by ramming the oddessy and destroying it. I remember the first time I saw it, I was like "OH, daaaamn."

The other thing that always bugged me a little about DS9 (even though it could be forgiven) was their USE and RESUE of the Freakin' Enterprise D Model. It was the Oddessy, for example and it was in alot of other episodes, believe me. I know it's not easy to just build a new model, but dang did they have to keep reusing one so well known? I mean, no offense, but I'm going to notice!

And I also watched "Far Beyond The Stars" last night. Sisko's speech near the end always gets to me. He has alot of passion. I never get tired of that episode.

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
I liked DS9 alot. Especially after Worf came on board. His character rocked. What season was that?

As for it being superior to both TNG and Enterprise.. I can't really rush to the defence of Enterprise, as it HAS been pretty dismal. But I do hope they hit their stride, as the show has alot going for it.. TNG was awesome, my favorite episode being "The Inner Light". But even their 1st and 2nd seasons had their share of bumps in the road.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The other thing that always bugged me a little about DS9 (even though it could be forgiven) was their USE and RESUE of the Freakin' Enterprise D Model. It was the Oddessy, for example and it was in alot of other episodes, believe me. I know it's not easy to just build a new model, but dang did they have to keep reusing one so well known? I mean, no offense, but I'm going to notice!
Umm, The Odyssey was a Galaxy Class starship, just like the Enterprise. These are "flagships" like aircraft carriers are today, which lead a battlegroup, and have more firepower than most _2_ starships. So why wouldn't they just paint "odyssey" on the Enterprise? Costs about 1/2000th of what it would cost to build another Galaxy Class model

Todd K

Second Unit
There are many identical ships out there, so it's not unreasonable. At least it wasn't like the original series where every ship they came across was identical to the Enterprise.

What bothered me more was the constant reuse of the Excelsior and Reliant models, which were 100 years old by the time DS9 came around.

And regarding the Odyssey, can you think of any other class of ship whose destruction would have made more of an impact in the story?

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
During those giant armada space battles toward the end, I sure was hoping to see the Enterprise E out there among the ships. Or at least a ship that looked like it could have been it. I always thought it stood out by it's absence. And I certainly don't mean to be taking away from our heroes on DS9, but why wouldn't Picard and company be involved in the biggest battles? Just a shot of the ship, would have done alot!

Ric

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I forget, when does Jake stop wearing the body stocking? Honestly, children's fashions in the 24th century suck :) It's like living in the 1800s except instead of waiting for long pants you're waiting for a shirt and pants :)

Terry St

Second Unit
forget, when does Jake stop wearing the body stocking? Honestly, children's fashions in the 24th century suck
At least his pants zip all the way up. I have no idea how any self respecting actor could have run around in Wesley Crusher's pants.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks