What's new

Deep Space Nine - I Miss It (1 Viewer)

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Hey All,

I have been watching alot of my taped DS9 episodes lately. All the great ones I saved over the years. I know we finally have the DVDs coming out, but I can't afford them just yet. But God I miss that show.

I forgot how really wonderful it was. Not just for the great battle episodes but for the drama ones... and there were so many good ones. One that always stands out to me is "Far Beyond The Stars." I just got finished watching the Final Episode which always disapointed me, mainly what Sisko does, but man what a ride it was getting to that last show. The dominion, the founders, Worf Joining the show... it just got better and better. I will be buying most, if not all of the series as soon as I can.

I very much hope that crew finds it way to the big screen. We need to see them again. At least I do.

VicRuiz

Second Unit
You don't have to buy the DVDs, just rent them from Netflix. That's what I'm doing.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I agree. ST has not been the same for me since DS9. I've tried to watch Enterprise and Voyager while it was on. Neither of them held up in comparison. I wanted them to but it never happened.

I'm definitely buying seasons 4-7 but I'm going to hold off on 1-3. I want them but I also want to upgrade to separates and that has priority at the moment. I'll pick up 1-3 when they come down in price or show up on Ebay.

BTW, "Far Beyond the Stars" is one of my favorite episodes, along with "The Visitor" and "In the Pale Moonlight".

Jeffrey_Scotts

Stunt Coordinator
I agree, DS9 was a VERY good star trek series with the exception of the last few episodes. The ending just seemed a little rushed to me trying to make it fit together. They needed a little more battle and planning with Sisko in the end before his final fight. It's certinly worth owning on DVD box sets for collectors.

On a side note, Blalock said on Howard Stern that she would NEVER take a role on TNG or DS9 because they were all OLD cast members and not YOUNGER like on Enterprise. Gee, maybe the real reason I'm thinking is because the writers back then would never have cast someone like her in the first place due to her "acting" looking for more seasond crew.

Todd K

Second Unit
It was a great show. I hope this turns into an appreciation thread.

Certainly, it was the last Trek endeavor to begin before the franchise started going south. (I guess I'd consider 1994's Generations to be a big turning point).

Admittedly I found it a little bland the first two seasons, but after that I was hooked.

The show had some nice character development over the years, too.

ps. and regarding Enterprise and Blalock's comments, I wonder if I'm the only one praying for a premature end to the show, a sort of mercy killing for this diseased franchise?

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Having just picked up season 2 two days ago and already being on disc 6 I concur:).

The 3 part opening for season 2 concerning The Circle and their attempt to overthrow the provisonal government had me in complete anticipation for whats to come later in the series. I'll admit to not having watched DS9 as religously as I did Next gen and part of that was the odd times at which the show was shown in my area. Now thanks to the wonders of Paramounts DVD release schedule I can really dig in with the series!

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
DS9 was by far the most "developed" of all Trek, in terms of character, atmosphere, and continuing plot.

I can understand why some people didn't like it... those looking for traditional Trek didn't find it. But the characters were SO well written and developed... and the conflicts were so much more REAL and PERSONAL than we Trekkies had seen before...

I loved TNG, and bought the DVD's, but the fact that the episodes were all self-contained made it seem less epic. And TNG relied more (too much, IMO) on Trek Jargon... it too often got lost in technology as a device, at the expense of character. Ironically, the only character that really developed on TNG was the android, Data.

In DS9, all the characters evolved, and the stories revolved around THEM, not the Tech of Trek.

I'm trying to hold myself to watching 4 or 5 episodes on DVD per week, to stretch my viewing enjoyment as long as possible until the next season's release.

I love this show.

-Scott

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Ironically, the only character that really developed on TNG was the android, Data.
I disagree. There's also Worf, Wesley and (to some extent) Picard.

I love DS9 too. :) I'm enjoying rewatching season 2 on DVD. The Circle trilogy is fantastic. Louise Fletcher's dialogue on the bridge in 2.02 has me in stitches every time. Terrific actress. Anyone know why Frank Langella was uncredited?

In fact, acting's where DS9 excels - not so much in the main cast (Nana Visitor is often way OTT) - I'm talking about the supporting cast. Andrew Robinson (Garek), Marc Alaimo (Dukat), Jeffrey Combs (Brunt and Weyoun), Wallace Shawn (Zek) etc.

I feel sorry for Jolene Blalock, and am very glad she was never in TNG or DS9. She walks around like some poor, uglier understudy of the T'Pol in TNG's "Gambit", or the Vulcan in DS9's "The Maquis".

Todd K

Second Unit
I really have to go back and watch those 2nd and 3rd season episodes again. I have copletely forgotten about the details of "The Circle," "The Maquis," and even the Defiant's introductory episodes.

One thing about Louise Fletcher's Winn -- she is my least favorite character in the whole series!

She was involved with some dirty business, what with the murder plotting and all. She was selfish and evil right up until the end and I don't feel she got her come-uppance in the end. She should have been sentenced for life in a hard labor Cardassian prison camp or something.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
This darker take on the Trek universe is hands down the best. The characters that developed over the seven years were some of the most lifelike on television. I've heard many say that the series finale was a disappointment, which I have to wholeheartedly disagree with. The first hour was the biggest Trek battle ever shown on the small screen, followed up in the second hour with appropriately closing the book on all the characters.

I particularly enjoyed when the Dominion/Cardassian forces are defeated, and Sisko and the commanders of the Allies stand around the ruins and attempt to toast the victory. They've been dreaming of this victory for well over a year. Yet one look around the untold destruction of the area, and Sisko is too disgusted to bring himself to do it.

However, the best episode was the wonderfully crafted, "The Visitor", in which a freak accident traps Sisko in subspace, and Jake spends the rest of his life trying to save him. The ending is as a powerful and touching as Trek can be; I just may have to pick up season 4 on DVD for this particular ep....

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I agree about "The Visitor" being an excellent show... definitely in my top 5. Touching performances all around, including a gut-wrenching performance from Tony Todd as the elder Jake.

I disagree. There's also Worf, Wesley and (to some extent) Picard.
Okay... I'll give you Worf... but given the potential for growth over a 7 year series, we should have seen more from the other characters. TNG tried too hard to be action-oriented and high tech... and it had a cast too large to develop given what the show wanted to be. I'm not saying that TNG was a bad show... It was more "situation drama" than a character piece... and in that mode it worked well.

-Scott

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Before the recent DVDs, I had only watched the last couple of seasons of DS9 (I'm a late Trek bloomer). Except for "Tribunal," I had not seen anything from the 1st two seasons, so this is almost like brand new Trek for me.

The first season started off well and kind of lagged in the middle. The second season is way better than I expected. The introduction of the Dominion and the Maquis, the machinations of Vedek Winn, the first episode about the parallel universe, the flashback episode about how Odo first met Kira and Quark- there's a lot to love here.

I can't wait for season 3.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

This thread is hereby declared to be an official we-love-DS9 thread.

For anyone planning to start his or her DVD library with Season Four, I respectfully suggest you are making a mistake.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I disagree that Nana Visitor's performance went over the top, except perhaps when playing the "Intendent". Besides that, she did things for her uniform for which the uniform should be eternally grateful.

I definitely am learning to appreciate Avery Brooks' performance more than I did the first time around.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
As for Louise Fletcher:

Ask any wrestler. The key to a good villain is that they REALLY BELIEVE WHAT THEY"RE DOING IS RIGHT. She let her jealousy of the Emissary consume her, and by the time she saw her error it was way too late to back out of it

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Jack Briggs:
For anyone planning to start his or her DVD library with Season Four, I respectfully suggest you are making a mistake.
Its true that the first three seasons of DS9 are very, very good. Many reviewers of the first DVD box set said the series wasn't up to par yet, but I think even season 1 had its momemnts ("Emissary" is as exciting as two parters get).

Character driven episodes like "Tribunal","The Wire", "Necessary Evil" and "Shadowplay" make the earlier episodes a joy to sort through.

Then, the addition of the Defiant to the show allowed the stories to expand outward, all the while making the Dominion a formidable threat.

Yet, its in Season Four where all the elements click: action, humour, drama, wonderful acting, writing and direction gel to make a very strong season. While it would be nice to have all 7 seasons, if you must own one, make it season 4.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Paul McElligott:

I definitely am learning to appreciate Avery Brooks' performance more than I did the first time around.
How many actors could carry an episode like "In The Pale Moonlight" (in which Sisko must work with Garak to force the Romulans into the war, no matter what the cost) without it seeming boring or drawn out, or make the final line so laced with regret and determination?

"Computer delete last log entry..."

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
This thread is turning out nicely. There sure are alot of DS9 lovers out there.

The acting episodes is what really made DS9 stand out for me. The battle ones were very impressive but I loved the deep drama ones just as much. "The Visitor" gets my vote as one of the very best. I forget that episode's name alot though and think of it as the episode where Jake ages.

"Rapture" is another great one, "Far beyond the stars" like I said before and another one I adore is "The begotten." Definately one of the very best. (That's the one where Odo finds the baby changling.)

One thing always surprised me about Ds9. I know it had plenty going on with the circle, the dominion, but ever since episode I, I always waited for them to have a Borg episode. I just figured it was a matter of time given Sisko's history with his wife being killed. But of course we never had a Borg episode... but of course they didn't need one.

I said it before and I will say it again, this show needs to be brought to the big screen.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Adam Sanchez
One thing always surprised me about Ds9. I know it had plenty going on with the circle, the dominion, but ever since episode I, I always waited for them to have a Borg episode. I just figured it was a matter of time given Sisko's history with his wife being killed. But of course we never had a Borg episode... but of course they didn't need one.
I think Voyager got the Borg storyline, for all the good it did them.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
DS9 exists almost in its own little world. A part of the universe but a step apart. One of the reasons why it's so good. Aside from Buffy, this was my most wanted show *hugs season 1 and 2* and I'm very satisfied (would love some commentaries though)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks