What's new

Death Star over San Francisco.... (1 Viewer)

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Geepers that was well done. Very creepy and ominous seeing the unfunished Death Star hanging there.

Makes me wish I had skills like that to produce such cool images!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That is cool! And I'm always moaning about how my Photoshop skills are so weak...

==============

Usually I associate San Fransisco with Dark Star rather than Death Star.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I definitely want to know more on how they've accomplished this. I'm seriously considering resurrecting an old Canadian sci-fi series from the seventies, and this is exactly what I need for the exterior shots. It has to be inexpensive to produce, yet remain entirely convincing.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Stunning work. I've done blue screen home video work that took hours to put together and didn't look anything even close to that. Im inspired to get better.

@Francois
Has to be frame by frame blue screen matting.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Maybe there's a way to automate the process without doing it frame by frame. If the shot is of the same subject, a computer program could theoretically "follow the landmarks" and insert the desired effect at the correct position, even including motion blur where appropriate. If you don't move the camera around too much (as you shouldn't), it could pave the way to cheap yet convincing special effects.

If anyone's interested, the series I want to bring back is "The Starlost". I'll use actual villages and small towns from around the world as the habitat domes, adding the correct backdrop in the sky and at ground level where appropriate.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

It seems that Lucas has usually been pretty suppotive of fan projects, unless, I suppose it's something being done for profit. I wouldn't think Lucasfilm would have a problem with this.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Kind of like the "magic wand" function? Hum....

I finally got to see this on a PC that could play it smoothly (stupid work PC!) and it really is some stunning work. When the flock of birds fly over it seems like that would be hell to reproduce. I'd love to know how it was done. Certainly some software working there that I'll never get a chance to use. *stomps foot really hard in anger* I wonder if you can see anything if you zoom in on the birds. Must be come edging artifacts or something.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
A good hint: composite in higher resolution than the final video. I think a lot of beginners get frustrated at how bad their keying comes off when they try using standard-def blue/green screen footage. DV format is especially tricky because of the lower color resolution.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
You got that right! I used Sony Vegas to put 2 parts of some digitized VHS material together. Vegas has some very nice controls for helping it blend together, like fading the edges where the different videos meet. My problem was it had a clicking-along look that wasn't as smooth as I'd like it since I processed about 25 or 30 frames separately and placed them as a single frame with the blue parts added using a photoshop app.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks