What's new

Death On the Nile (2022) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
What’s the harm in not discussing a potential spoiler?
I'm not trying to be a prick here; it's just that the idea that the death of the character in question not being common knowledge honestly wouldn't have even occurred to me.

In Murder on the Orient Express, "Who killed Ratchett?" is one of the most famous resolutions to a mystery novel there is. But I would have still spoilerized it because it's such a great ending that people deserve to experience it fresh.

On the other hand, the identity of the murder victim in Death on the Nile is telegraphed early on, so you're waiting for it to happen rather than surprised when it happens -- which it does in the first half of the novel. In my mind, that would have been more premise than spoiler.

All that being said, Josh's post is well-taken and I will try to be more circumspect going forward.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
By the way They don’t. I just watched all three trailers and none of them say who the victim is other than it is a “he”. Not clear in any way

Okay, I stand corrected. I didn't seek out information regarding the film before seeing it but still remember going in knowing that Depp was the victim, so I assumed incorrectly I got it from the trailers, which I had seen in advance of several other films. I'm not sure where I got that from now. (Although, as I said, knowing Depp's role would be brief was a selling point for me, because I can't stand him these days.)

"Who killed Ratchett?"

Yes, *who* killed him would be a spoiler since that's the entire plot of the movie. But he dies in what, ten minutes? So the fact that he dies is base setup information. I assumed the same regarding Gadot's character when you mentioned it. Plus, remember, according to the end of Orient Express, someone is already dead, so she might in fact already be dead by the time the movie starts, unless they rearrange things or ignore that.

Last edited:

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
In the Ustinov version, the victim doesn’t die until well into the film.
And who will die is not telegraphed. A different prominent character (who is a bit of a pest) could easily been the target

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
In the Ustinov version, the victim doesn’t die until well into the film.
And who will die is not telegraphed. A different prominent character (who is a bit of a pest) could easily been the target
We'll have to disagree about that. Linette has a bunch of people who despise her, whom she's in conflict with or whose future well being depends on her dying, which is what makes the murder suspects so intriguing after she is killed. Almost everyone on the ship has a motive to do away with her. That can't be said about that pest you're referring to.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
We'll have to disagree about that. Linette has a bunch of people who despise her, whom she's in conflict with or whose future well being depends on her dying, which is what makes the murder suspects so intriguing after she is killed. Almost everyone on the ship has a motive to do away with her. That can't be said about that pest you're referring to.
All I know is that the first time I saw this (not having read the book), I didn't know who was going to die. It wasn't obvious. So knowing beforehand would have been a spoiler.

As for motives, like most Christie stories, motives are often not revealed until after the crime solver shows up, so we don't realize that various characters may be a suspect.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
OK. Now I’m outta this spoiler filled thread.

See ya after the movie opens.

ByeEEE:D

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
It would be a bit dull if all versions faithfully followed the source material. With the number of Christie adaptations about there needs to be a bit of reworking. After all she herself changed the ending of her most famous book for the play.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Fox pushed the release date to October 2, 2020.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-fox-merger-combined-box-office-strategy-begins-1153553

The previous release date of December 20, 2019 is earmarked by Disney for Episode IX, so there's no way that was going to happen.

Honestly, I think any and all release dates Fox sets now are subject to change once the merger goes through, but it's at least more plausible for Nile to release in October (a month Disney doesn't use very often) than against Star Wars.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
I wonder how frustrating it is for people who are in a film, or working on a film, to have to wait an extra 10 months beyond what they expected to be able to see their work in it's finished form.

That's gotta sting a bit.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
You're not wrong, but on the other hand, the October 2020 date will give it more of a chance to succeed than if it had opened against Episode IX, so the people working on the film should be happy that it i being set up to succeed. More people will see their work with the delay than would have in the old slot.

And it's entirely possible that they will be taking more time to complete the movie for the new date, so it might not be an issue of "It's going to be completely done in 2019 and sitting on a shelf until 2020."

Plus, anybody with the slightest business sense know that Disney would never release another film against Star Wars, and it will be Disney releasing this by the time it comes to fruition.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm not surprised. Modern Disney likes established brands. Mystery on the Orient Express established that Branagh's take on Poirot is a viable brand. He's also a director that actors want to work with, so he can attract marquee names on a moderate budget.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Disney has also worked with Branaugh before across multiple divisions. He directed the original Thor for Marvel and the forthcoming Artemis Fowl for Disney-branded live-action. So they know him and already have a good working relationship with him and probably want to work with him again.

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
“Crimes of passion are dangerously sexy,” said Branagh. “Agatha Christie has written a riveting story of emotional chaos and violent criminality and Michael Green has once again written a screenplay to match. With a cherished group of long-time artistic collaborators and a brilliant international cast, it is truly a pleasure to join Disney, Fox and Agatha Christie, Ltd. in bringing this daring thriller to the big screen. There are significant new twists, an awe-inspiring desert landscape and a chance to celebrate big screen entertainment in glorious 65 millimeter celluloid!

YES!++

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I know there were 70mm prints of Murder On the Orient Express, but my arthouse (which is the only theater around here capable of showing 70mm) didn't book it. Oddly enough, they are booking a 70mm print of Joker, and I'm not sure how that one was shot.

On another note, the thread title should be updated because the movie is now being released in 2020. Incidentally, Branaugh will have two movies in 2020 now, both for different divisions of Disney, between this and Artemis Fowl.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
"Branagh's comment about using "65 millimetre celluloid" for his version, however, tells us a lot about his ambitions for this movie. That's the most technical way to refer to 70mm film — the reasons for the difference don't really matter in this context, just trust us! We're professionals.

Not many movies are shot on film, much less on large-gauge film. Christopher Nolan does, certainly, and that immediately puts DEATH IN THE NILE into the company of "movies that must be seen on the big screen." Clearly Branagh is aiming for a classic spectacle that combines the grandeur of Egypt with the glamorous appeal of his ensemble cast."

Sounds good to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks