What's new

Death On the Nile (2022)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Title: Death On the Nile

Tagline: Whilst on vacation on the Nile, Hercule Poirot must investigate the murder of a young heiress.

Genre: Mystery

Director: Kenneth Branagh

Cast: Kenneth Branagh, Gal Gadot, Armie Hammer, Annette Benning, Dawn French, Jennifer Saunders, Rose Leslie, Sophie Okonedo, Letitia Wright, Russell Brand

Release: 2022-02-11

Plot: Murder On the Orient Express sequel.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I know we've talked a little bit about this already in the Murder on the Orient Express thread, but now that we're getting casting announcements, I figured this was as good a time as any to give this sequel its own thread.

Gal Gadot will star in Death On the Nile for Fox.

https://deadline.com/2018/09/gal-gadot-death-on-the-nile-movie-1202473170/

Officially, its release date is December 20, 2019, against a little movie called Star Wars Episode IX. But once Disney takes over Fox and assumes their release slate, I can't imagine they would release two films on the same day. No way Star Wars moves, so Death on the Nile will likely be on the move.

Fox had originally dated it for November 8, 2019, which was going to be up against Bond 25, but then Bond moved. Fox is now deciding to use November 8 for Kingsman 3 (again, everything could change pending the Disney merger.) I actually think that Death On the Nile would do fine in November, except that with Gadot starring, they won't want it too close to Wonder Woman 1984, which is dated for November 1. But this does present an opportunity for Death on the Nile starring Gadot to trailer on the front of Wonder Woman and reach her fans directly.

We'll see where it lands.

Belated edit only to correct a typo.)

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Gal's character Linnet Ridgeway is the murder victim so like Johnny Depp in the first one, she's not around for long. I know she'll likely get equal billing with the other supporting actors in the drama, but her role is the least interesting one in the cast. It's good casting, don't get me wrong, but unless the writers turn it into something else, I wish she could have gotten one of the more interesting roles. Jackie, perhaps.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That's interesting that she is the victim.

In the end of Murder on the Orient Express, Perroit is told there's already been a death on the Nile -- so if that's the case and it picks up from there, we wouldn't need to see her prior to her death necessarily as happened with Depp in that film, since she'd already be dead.

I understand from the previous thread that this is a change from the book where Perroit is on vacation when the murder happens. I've not read the book so I don't know firsthand. But either they'll have to retcon the movie they just made in order to make it like the book, or they'll have to figure out how to go forward with the murder having occurred before he arrives.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I imagine they'll have to ret-con the last movie to have it be another murder that Poirot has come to Egypt to solve. He will try to take yet another vacation by taking a pleasure cruise down the Nile (as in the original novel) and will solve that case (the new one) in the movie.

I think Gal Gadot is a fine choice for Linnet Ridgeway, as that character is supposed to be a rich, glamorous American. Gadot still has an Israeli accent, but should be able to pull off the glamor and spoiled rich girl aspect of the role. Hopefully, Branagh populates the rest of the film with plenty of other heavyweight British thespians and solid character actors.

Death on the Nile is a really good story...it's not as audacious, but it's more interesting, lively novel than Murder on the Orient Express. I liked Branagh's take on the latter, and look forward to his version of Nile.

Oh, and more actual scenery and less CGI would be nice this time out.

I understand from the previous thread that this is a change from the book where Perroit is on vacation when the murder happens. I've not read the book so I don't know firsthand. But either they'll have to retcon the movie they just made in order to make it like the book, or they'll have to figure out how to go forward with the murder having occurred before he arrives.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Gal's character Linnet Ridgeway is the murder victim so like Johnny Depp in the first one, she's not around for long. I know she'll likely get equal billing with the other supporting actors in the drama, but her role is the least interesting one in the cast. It's good casting, don't get me wrong, but unless the writers turn it into something else, I wish she could have gotten one of the more interesting roles. Jackie, perhaps.
Dude. You just spoiled her role for me!! I know you didn’t mean to but :angry:

And I’m glad I saw MOTOE or you would have spoiled that for me too!:D

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm assuming you're joking.

Even if you haven't read the books (which I haven't), I recall the marketing making clear that Depp was the one who died on the train (and, given my distaste for Depp these days, that suited me just fine.) I suspect the same will be for Gadot in Nile.

Actually, her having a small role makes sense, if she's going to have to juggle production of this with Wonder Woman. I know Wonder Woman is going on now. Not sure when this one will star, but it's possible she wasn't in the market for a large role depending on how much overlap there is between the two productions, since obviously Wonder Woman has to be her first priority.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
That's interesting that she is the victim.

In the end of Murder on the Orient Express, Perroit is told there's already been a death on the Nile -- so if that's the case and it picks up from there, we wouldn't need to see her prior to her death necessarily as happened with Depp in that film, since she'd already be dead.

Yes. The ending of Orient Express didn't make much sense to me either as it deprives us of Linnet Ridgeway even before the next picture starts. Personally, I didn't care for the Branagh revamp for a multitude of reasons, not the least of which were the major alterations in plot and characters. Agatha Christie was the mistress of the locked door murder mystery. Superb writer. No need to embellish her work. It's already all there for the asking. Just do a faithful adaptation and you already have a winner.

I could have also done without Branagh's insistence to re-envision this iconic super sleuth so he looks like Kurt Russell's Wyatt Earp from Tombstone. And truthfully, I think the original Finney and Ustinov classics - still MIA on Blu-ray in Region 1, unless one count's the Studio Canal imports that were released region free first before being region locked and remastered - did Christie fans proud. If you're going to do adaptations for the big screen, then why not the myriad of other amazing Christie/Poirot stories available? Okay, David Suchet did those proud on ITV's Poirot Mystery Series, playing states' side on PBS. Love those too.

If they do retro-fit Death on the Nile to accommodate this flub it'll seem rather silly to say the least, and if they don't and decide to simply reference it as another murder solved before the real/reel story gets underway, then it just reminds me of a quote the late movie critic, Gene Siskel once made during a critic's black tie gala in New York about the TV series Murder She Wrote, in which Siskel laughingly said "Jessica Fletcher is the last person I would invite to a dinner party because you just know the guests are going to start dropping like flies!" By the way, just FYI - its Poirot - not Perroit.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'm assuming you're joking.

Even if you haven't read the books (which I haven't), I recall the marketing making clear that Depp was the one who died on the train (and, given my distaste for Depp these days, that suited me just fine.) I suspect the same will be for Gadot in Nile.

Actually, her having a small role makes sense, if she's going to have to juggle production of this with Wonder Woman. I know Wonder Woman is going on now. Not sure when this one will star, but it's possible she wasn't in the market for a large role depending on how much overlap there is between the two productions, since obviously Wonder Woman has to be her first priority.
Nope. Not joking at all. I like to know as little as possible. Knew nothing about Orient Expreess before seeing it. And that Gal Gadot Nile comment is definitely a spoiler.

I know Matt didn’t deliberately do it so no biggie. Just being honest.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
And that Gal Gadot Nile comment is definitely a spoiler.

Not if the trailers and TV spots and promotions make it clear as well.

There's a certain amount of setup from the beginning of the picture which has to be okay for the marketing to show in order to get butts in seats. I don't think identifying the murder victim in a movie we know is a murder mystery, which itself is an adaptation of a popular work, is a problem, especially if they get offed early in the film (or, according to the end of Orient Express, she was already offed.)

I didn't know Orient Express before seeing it either, but did not consider it a spoiler to know that Depp was playing the victim, because he is dispatched in short order as the inciting incident of the movie. YMMV of course.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Yes. The ending of Orient Express didn't make much sense to me either as it deprives us of Linnet Ridgeway even before the next picture starts.

Unless he is called there to solve another murder that's not in the book, and then the one from the book happens while he's there.

Or they could just be like the recent Mamma Mia! sequel and just disregard anything from the previous film which is inconvenient to the new story.

By the way, just FYI - its Poirot - not Perroit.

Thanks.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Not if the trailers and TV spots and promotions make it clear as well.
By the way They don’t. I just watched all three trailers and none of them say who the victim is other than it is a “he”. Not clear in any way.

Whatever. Let’s move along. No worries.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
I enjoyed the different take on "Murder On The Orient Express" although I was distracted with each significant departure from the prior versions that I have seen several times (Suchet version being my favorite) - never imagined Poirot being as "athletic" as he is in Brannagh's version.

It was therefore no surprise that we got a reference to a murder in Egypt at the end - funnily enough the first thing I thought of was "James Bond will return in ...."

I am pleasantly surprised therefore to learn that there will be a "Death On The Nile" as I wasn't sure if the first one had made enough of a profit to justify the follow up.

Regards,

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I enjoyed the different take on "Murder On The Orient Express" although I was distracted with each significant departure from the prior versions that I have seen several times (Suchet version being my favorite) - never imagined Poirot being as "athletic" as he is in Brannagh's version.

It was therefore no surprise that we got a reference to a murder in Egypt at the end - funnily enough the first thing I thought of was "James Bond will return in ...."

I am pleasantly surprised therefore to learn that there will be a "Death On The Nile" as I wasn't sure if the first one had made enough of a profit to justify the follow up.

Regards,

Your comment about "James Bond" is well taken as everything being made today seems to be an attempt by film makers to spin off a franchise. In Agatha Christie's case, there is certainly NO shortage of good material to draw upon for inspiration.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
No. A spoiler's a spoiler. If you've not read a Christie book or seen the film, then it's new to you. It doesn't matter how many decades old it is.
So we should never talk about popular culture in public, for fear that someone might not have read it or watched it? Even something that will in all likelihood occur in the first 15-20 minutes of the movie?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Perhaps there’s a middle ground to be found? If this thread is about a movie that’s yet to be released, maybe there’s a way to designate things as “book spoilers” and warn appropriately? I agree we can’t expect to avoid all references to a decades-old work, but maybe if we treat this thread for this movie version as though the movie was “new”, that could be a path forward that benefits everyone.

I’m thinking about how, for instance, we had this wonderful thread while “Sharp Objects” was on HBO. Despite the book being about ten years old, where we could have just read the book (or it’s summary on Wikipedia) to find all the answers, no one who previously read the book spoiled the ending in the TV show thread. Or how no one is spoiling what will happen in the next Avengers movie, even though it’s based on a decades-old comic book arc where it would be fairly easy to look up the likely resolution to the story.

I don’t see any malice in anyone’s posts and I totally get both sides of the argument. I personally never read the book for Death on the Nile or saw the previous films, so this new movie will be my first exposure to the story.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
So we should never talk about popular culture in public, for fear that someone might not have read it or watched it? Even something that will in all likelihood occur in the first 15-20 minutes of the movie?
What’s the harm in not discussing a potential spoiler?

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WavyJawn
Recent bookmarks