What's new

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
One would probably not wish to, as the mag stripes also covered an area of the frame not meant to be seen.
True on anything pre-digital, but if Branagh was intending a 2.39:1 frame, it would make sense to send unstriped prints to theatres. Of course, a film out to 70mm after creating a DI would not perfectly reproduce the DI look, right?

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Well, I'll go back to being uncertain, then!

One way or the other, I'm assuming that it was indeed 2.39:1, however they did it. That was part of my question. I don't know anyone who actually saw it in 70mm to verify.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
If Branagh decides to look into another Christie novel to adapt, I hope it is a decent remake of And Then There Were None (called something else in the UK for a long while, as Christie originally named it...that title is now quite offensive). The Blu-ray that emerged of the very good 1945 adaptation looks terrible, as did the DVD editions (I believe the film is in the public domain). Other versions calling themselves a bunch of other things, such as TEN LITTLE INDIANS, are generally inferior. It's a good story, and I think would benefit from a well-produced new edition. Kenneth...?
It's been done to death. He might have better box-office success with a lesser known Poirot mystery. They've already all been done in television movies, but a splashy big screen adaptation of Mysterious Affair at Styles or Hercule Poirot's Christmas might have a better chance at success as they feature Poirot but are not as well known. I just don't want him remaking any more of them that have already had big screen adaptations.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I used to know why movies filmed in 65mm were shown with 70mm release prints, but I lost track(s) of that information.
Meme Reaction GIF by Travis

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Watched this in 70mm this weekend.
Looked closer to 2.39 to me but then it may have been cropped to fit the wider screen in the cinema where I saw it.

I have to say that without any long forgotten memories about the 70s production and the novel it was quite enjoyable although I will have to re-watch a very early scene that I remember to contradict the conclusion of the movie.

I really enjoyed some of the Egyptian scenery and overall it looked less artificial to me than Murder on the Orient Express but that is faint praise. All scenes that showed the river cruise ship from a distance and the hotel where it was anchored in front have extremely obvious CGI. I would hope that Mr. Branagh could strive for a less artificial look for his next 65mm production both with regard to the CGI and the way they are shot in general.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Watched this in 70mm this weekend.
Looked closer to 2.39 to me but then it may have been cropped to fit the wider screen in the cinema where I saw it.

I have to say that without any long forgotten memories about the 70s production and the novel it was quite enjoyable although I will have to re-watch a very early scene that I remember to contradict the conclusion of the movie.

I really enjoyed some of the Egyptian scenery and overall it looked less artificial to me than Murder on the Orient Express but that is faint praise. All scenes that showed the river cruise ship from a distance and the hotel where it was anchored in front have extremely obvious CGI. I would hope that Mr. Branagh could strive for a less artificial look for his next 65mm production both with regard to the CGI and the way they are shot in general.

They both looked very artificial to me but I enjoyed Murder more because I like films set on trains. We seem to have come full circle with these types of film (another is jungle cruise), as they have returned to being amost completely studio based and highly stylised.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
They both looked very artificial to me but I enjoyed Murder more because I like films set on trains. We seem to have come full circle with these types of film (another is jungle cruise), as they have returned to being amost completely studio based and highly stylised.
There you go, I guess I prefer movies set on ships if I could choose but this is the first time I have thought about it :)

Yes it is a pity these are not at least partially shot with the actors on location and with most or all scenes showing real ships or trains. I am sure there are a good number of mostly financial reasons for that but it continues to take me out of the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks