What's new

3D Dear Ron and Bob: The Future of 3-D on Blu-ray...? (2 Viewers)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
That's absolutely ridiculous- I know they already have a 3D disc authored. What could they possibly gain by delaying it???

A double dip close to the release of "Rogue One" and that's if they actually do make good on their announcement that a 3D version is coming

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Honestly, how many people double dip anymore? This could've helped 3D a lot with the right promotion, but they're obviously trying to do even more to kill it. (Remember that they said Frozen would be out later in 3D also, but it never came out in the US.)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
This could've helped 3D a lot with the right promotion

I doubt it. I don't think there's anything that's going to resurrect 3D if the display manufactures are getting out of the business. Unfortunately, 3D had its shot and it never caught on beyond the niche (of course, we can talk all day about why it never truly caught on)

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Ironically, I kind of hold James Cameron accountable for the lack of 3D's success on the home front. For all he did for the format, he allowed the Blu Ray 3D to be a Panasonic exclusive. I have hard time thinking he couldn't have done something to prevent that. I believe that was your best window for adoption. It took way too long for the wider release. I'm not saying it was the only reason, just that it didn't help.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Ironically, I kind of hold James Cameron accountable for the lack of 3D's success on the home front. For all he did for the format, he allowed the Blu Ray 3D to be a Panasonic exclusive. I have hard time thinking he couldn't have done something to prevent that. I believe that was your best window for adoption. It took way too long for the wider release. I'm not saying it was the only reason, just that it didn't help.
With hindsight you can logically put in perspective to what probably happened. By all the comments Cameron made, he wanted 3D to succeed. He was also an industry insider who knew the quality of the initial LCD 3D displays and the 3D inefficiency causing artifacts for the majority of consumers purchasing that very technology. What else could he do but isolate the initial 3D release and the imminent reviews to the one initial technology that was more efficient? Proprietary to Panasonic's 3D plasma displays.
In hindsight, the most positive move that could have been made for home consumer 3D which would give 3D a better chance at succeeding.

Edit: In the end IMO it is the inefficiency of consumer 3D display reproduction that causes the reputable decline.

Last edited:

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
With hindsight you can logically put in perspective to what probably happened. By all the comments Cameron made, he wanted 3D to succeed. He was also an industry insider who knew the quality of the initial LCD 3D displays and the 3D inefficiency causing artifacts for the majority of consumers purchasing that very technology. What else could he do, but isolate the initial 3D release and the imminent reviews to the one initial technology that was more efficient? Proprietary Panasonic's 3D plasma displays.
In hindsight, the most positive move that could have been made for home consumer 3D which would give 3D a better chance at succeeding.

ugh...reading my original post and seeing I forgot to include the actual title. anyways, Avatar was the 'killer app'. I'll have to look back, but the time it took to get released (non-exclusive) was pretty sizable. surely there were more capable displays and players before then. if anything, having it limited to only active displays probably turned some who are sensitive to that technology away.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
ugh...reading my original post and seeing I forgot to include the actual title. anyways, Avatar was the 'killer app'. I'll have to look back, but the time it took to get released (non-exclusive) was pretty sizable. surely there were more capable displays and players before then. if anything, having it limited to only active displays probably turned some who are sensitive to that technology away.
IMO, outside of DLP, Plasma, professional LCD and recently some OLED, there are still no capable efficient 3D consumer displays to date. Edit: The reviews tell it all.
With hindsight, until efficiency for consumer-grade 3D display reproduction matures, it is one of the logical reasons why manufactures are discontinuing consumer production.

Last edited:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
In terms of projectors, given that 3D is unlikely to exceed 1080p for home use, they would be the longest lasting displays as they are either semi-transparent (in the case of LCD) or reflective (in the case of DLP, SXRD, LCoS, LCoQ) meaning that so long as the relevant chip works, all you have to do is replace the light source at regular intervals; as I understand it, projector lamps are standardized from manufacturer to manufacturer (Epson for Epson, etc, etc), in addition to 3rd party manufacturers of high quality lamps. In the case of laser projectors, it's conceivable that you may never have to replace the light source. As for HMDs, the only reason for their existence is 3D, be it VR or 3D movies, and as economies of scale kick in, their price is only going to go down.

HDMI is actually a boon here, as all HDMI cables would be backwards compatible to the earliest HDMI versions, AFAIK.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks