What's new

3D Dear Ron and Bob: The Future of 3-D on Blu-ray...? (1 Viewer)

Mike Ballew

Second Unit
Real Name
MIKE BALLEW
If nothing else, the current attitude of CE manufacturers towards 3D has convinced me that my future in home theatre lies with projection...

I share your enthusiasm for projection. I have also recently gained some appreciation, indeed great enthusiasm, for VR/HMD technology. I hope that Oculus Rift and its competitors will really light a new fire for 3-D in the minds of consumers.

Even humble Google Cardboard is a big hit in my house. Granted, I did splurge thirty bucks for a nice plastic headset instead of a cardboard box with lenses. :)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
From The Bits today. Doesn't exactly give me a warm feeling inside

Also, here’s something interesting, but we qualify it as rumor until it’s officially confirmed by the studio: We’re hearing from some of our industry and retail sources that you shouldn’t discount the idea of a Blu-ray 3D version of Star Wars: The Force Awakens from Disney, despite the recent decline of BD3D support by Hollywood and the leading CE manufacturers. We don’t know if a 3D version would be a wide-release or a retailer exclusive, or if it would be released day and date with the regular Blu-ray version or held for a later date. But don’t give up on a 3D version of Force Awakens in 2016 just yet. If there’s any title that would sell well in Blu-ray 3D, it’s this one (much like the Marvel films) and Disney certainly knows this. We expect an official announcement of the title in the 2 or 3 weeks.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
What the hell is THAT supposed to mean? Sounds like a 3D version won't be out on the same day as the lousy 2D version, or if it is it'll be available in only a few places? A Star Wars movie in 3D should be the "killer app" to get more people on board with 3D- it'd certainly be one of the biggest-selling 3D titles ever! That means have it EVERYWHERE and have it playing in stores and all that! If the industry can't even sell THIS properly, then that shows they really don't know what they're doing!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I know Bill Hunt has forgotten more about home video than I'll ever know but I can't believe that Disney would release a 3-D version later this year. The only outcome of waiting to release a 3-D disc would be smaller sales (that are already small as it is) and no business is trying to achieve that. A 3-D version may be a store exclusive but it'll either be out at the same time as the regular disc in April or it won't be coming at all.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
When Frozen came out in 2D only it was rumored that they were saving the 3D edition for Christmas that year, but it never happened (they put out that silly sing-along DVD instead!) That would've been too late for me anyways as I'd already gotten the 3D disc from Europe. Funny that now the recent doom-and-gloom reports for 3D have been coming from that area rather than the US.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
While it does seem unfathomable to think that the 2nd highest grossing movie of all time wouldn't be released in 3D. My scary suspicion on the uncertainty of a 3D release is that the people at Lucasfilm/Disney don't think that by the time Episode VIII and beyond is released on home video 3D BD will officially be dead, so why bother now

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
And in other news today...

I just discovered that our local (Maine) Wal*Mart has discontinued support of 3-D. There are titles scattered around, but they no longer merit special 3-D shelving, and the head of the department told me this was because "We weren't selling enough to do that anymore." I am assuming this is the case in Wal*Marts nationally...?

In any case, as unfortunate as it is, this f**king chain pretty much determines what is going to be produced by major studios. Thank God for Kino and Mr. Furmanek and other smaller companies, who may wind up soon being the sole protectors of 3-D Blu-ray!

Hate to add to the doom-and-gloom, against which I have fought for years, but this is ominous.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I am assuming this is the case in Wal*Marts nationally...?

I was visiting the in laws in PA last weekend and needed something at that local Wal*Mart. I stopped by the DVD/BD section and they still had a separate 3D section. Note that this was a super Wal*Mart so I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not. Foe the record, the Wal*Mart near me in CT never had a 3D section and very seldomly stocked 3D titles. So, I guess it all varies to some degree.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I was visiting the in laws in PA last weekend and needed something at that local Wal*Mart. I stopped by the DVD/BD section and they still had a separate 3D section. Note that this was a super Wal*Mart so I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not. Foe the record, the Wal*Mart near me in CT never had a 3D section and very seldomly stocked 3D titles. So, I guess it all varies to some degree.

Most people that shop for 3D movies don't go to Walmart, unless you want to pay more. Check out this link for the latest lowest prices for 3D titles at Walmart. Most of those titles are a lot less at Amazon and Best Buy.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I only buy in B&Ms when on sale, sadly. Best prices are usually from online retailers. My most recent B&M purchase of a 3D title was The Martian, and before that, The Three Musketeers (2011) and Pina for $10 each (keep in mind that with Pina, it is the Canadian Mongrel Media release, not Criterion, and as such is missing some of the special features). That was at HMV.

phillyrobt

Second Unit
Real Name
Robt C
I'm still wondering if that Black Friday sale at Walmart was an accident or a marketing plan (Godzilla, Edge of Tomorrow, Jupiter Ascending, San Andreas. 300 Rise of An Empire all $10 or less)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Damn, I missed Edge Of Tomorrow for $10? I've been wanting to pick that up on BD3D for a while, but whenever I check it on Amazon, it's around $35, which seems a little high.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I have another idea which I'm wondering if others here will get behind- everyone with 3D equipment and a good-sized collection of movies should do a 3D marathon, watching a ridiculous number of hours in 3D even if they can't stay awake through all of it. Invite people over if you can, but at least publicize it online and let the industry people know about it.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Cnet's latest doom-and-gloom report:
http://www.cnet.com/news/3d-tv-is-now-more-dead-than-ever/

I'm working on my open letter to the industry, I'll post it here when it's done (might take a few days, but I have to do SOMETHING about this at this point.)

Yeah, it's bad. I don't see anyway to say otherwise. I think if the The Force Awakens is not released in 3D (and also not a good sign, none of the materials that have leaked thus far regarding the release have indicated a 3D version) it's another huge nail in the coffin.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
Yeah, it's bad. I don't see anyway to say otherwise. I think if the The Force Awakens is not released in 3D (and also not a good sign, none of the materials that have leaked thus far regarding the release have indicated a 3D version) it's another huge nail in the coffin.

According to the official press release, the 3-D version will be available later this year.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
That's absolutely ridiculous- I know they already have a 3D disc authored. What could they possibly gain by delaying it???

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks