What's new

3D Dear Ron and Bob: The Future of 3-D on Blu-ray...? (1 Viewer)

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
With the information provided in the Digital Bits link telling us that Samsung and LG are dropping 3-D support on their 2016 t.v.'s, I ask: is this a deterrent for you, Mr. Furmanek, to continue getting 3D Blu-rays out on physical media (I surely hope not)? Are you, Mr. Epstein, with your admirable review support of 3D releases, seeing writing on the wall?

Isn't the LG OLED65G6P a 2016 model? That has 3D. (I don't know the model numbers of all the new sets)

As for Samsung, all that's known is that there have been no new orders to the company that makes the active 3D glasses. For all we know, they could be switching to Passive.

One thing we do know...HTF has eliminated the 3D Forum and have left off any reference to 3D in the BLU-RAY/UHD forum title.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
One thing we do know...HTF has eliminated the 3D Forum and have left off any reference to 3D in the BLU-RAY/UHD forum title.

At the top of the Blu-ray/UHD forum, you'll find a row of "tags." One of them is 3-D. Click it and you'll see all the on-going threads on the subject of 3-D. It has not been the subject of a dismissal. The new platform for the forum has precipitated a number of such reorganizations.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
As for Samsung, all that's known is that there have been no new orders to the company that makes the active 3D glasses. For all we know, they could be switching to Passive.

That seems more likely to me- 4K sets can do full resolution 1080p 3D passively, so no need for active.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
perhaps.. but if you can go big screen, does the lack of blacks really matter?

Jacob
Well, it would be nice. In theaters, since silver disappeared from prints and screens went white, there have been no rich blacks, either. But I love the incredible contrast, in which (if brightness and contrast are properly set) you can just make out the available detail in the shadows, but where deep dark should be is genuinely pitch, velvet black. This is especially important to me with films that feature a lot of night skies, as do many sci-fi titles such as 2001, GRAVITY, STAR WARS and STAR TREK, etc. There's just nothing like those plasma blacks, and I would miss them a lot.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I've said this before many times and it's worth repeating: we are VERY busy with 8 to 10 vintage 3-D feature restorations in the pipeline...

I was very aware that you were working on some 3D titles, but I believe this is the first time I have heard the number was between 8-10. Holy Moly, that would -- with the titles you have already released or announced -- constitute about a quarter of the classic Hollywood 3D titles either available or being currently developed for Blu-ray release. My many hats off to you, sir! My head spins trying to imagine what the thus-far-unannounced titles are. Rumors have pointed toward ROBOT MONSTER and THE MAZE. But I so-o-o hope you have made arrangements with Paramount (as you did with Universal for IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE) to get HONDO to us and Sony for THE MAD MAGICIAN and the two Stooges shorts. Well, I can dream, right?

Maybe you could help the anxious among us by, rather than revealing titles you are working on, letting us know which studios/films you absolutely cannot get cooperation for.

Anyway, I am forever in your debt for filling in this important gap in my massive collection of classic films.

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
While I understand that not all classic 3D movies will be released....I truthfully believe that we need to get as many as we can before the format is no longer adapted for home video.
Especially if a 3D master is already done...there is NO excuse for it to not come out.
For gods sake Hondo comes to mind. It is a 3D film with John Wayne...that alone will get a TON of sales.
The 3D fans will go nuts, the John Wayne fans will go nuts...the western fans will go nuts. I feel like it would sell hotcakes if released in 3D.

The 3D 1980'S titles would do well. I feel like it would be smart to eventually release Jaws 3D and Friday the 13th 3D. Those are two BIG franchises. I'm still shocked that these have not come out yet. I think that they too would sell well if released. Hopefully both of them do actually come out on 3D Bluray.

Other 1980's ones I would die for..
If shout did Treasure of the Four Crowns 2:35 3D bluray. The dvd is pan and scan 4x3...YUCK.
If someone licensed MGM Charles Band film Parasite and released it in 3D.
Spacehunter would be FANTASTIC. Cmon Sony..get on it!
and Metalstorm from Universal.

While I love the classic 1950;s 3D. I hope that more of this other 3D era gets represented on 3D BLU.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Sony and WB have not been receptive to our overtures.

One of the Columbia 3D titles that Sony owns will probably be released by Twilight Time this year.

Fort Ti
The Stranger Wore a Gun
Gun Fury
Miss Sadie Thompson
Jesse James vs. the Daltons
Drums of Tahiti
The Mad Magician
THE NEBRASKAN

Shorts:
Spooks
Pardon My Backfire
Down the Hatch

Last edited:

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
One of the Columbia 3D titles that Sony owns will probably be released by Twilight Time this year.

Fort Ti
The Stranger Wore a Gun
Gun Fury
Miss Sadie Thompson
Jesse James vs. the Daltons
Drums of Tahiti
The Mad Magician

Shorts:
Spooks
Pardon My Backfire
Down the Hatch
Mad Magician and the Stooges Shorts are the prize of this lot to me. Rita in 3D wouldn't be bad either.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
No love for THE NEBRASKAN?

Nebraskan-three-sh.jpg

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
I can't help wondering if you've seen both features. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Vincent Price fan, and a great fan of classic horror, but Miss Sadie Thompson blows The Mad Magician out of the water.

Rumor has it that the next 3D release from Twilight might be SADIE. Can't verify so take it with a teaspoon of salt.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks