What's new

Dear God...please tell me there isn't a problem with... (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
my new HP DVD Burner.

I created two succesfully so far. One was a computer backup on CD R, the other was a server backup on DVDRW. But all of a sudden, it's telling me that there is a data verification problem first, and later says that there was a problem recording to the CD.

*Edit* In a bit of experimenting, after my initial emotional overload, I turned off Verify Files, and it worked perfectly, managing to burn two simple text files to a CDRW. But still, it never gave me this error message before. Any ideas?

Thanks

System: Windows XP, 384MB's of Ram, 1GHZ P3, All Applications closed while burning..

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I've had a lot of problems with turning the "verify" on. I disable it and just give the disc a quick data check after it's written.
Also, you might want to disable DMA for the device as a test if you notice any other problems. (Conversely, if it is currently disabled, enable it.)
Good move writing to DVD-RW first! Most people just assume that the burn will work or are afraid of compatibility issues and use regular DVD-R. That's still an expensive coaster to make. :)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
What model of HP burner is it? And how much does it cost?
I second checking the DMA...also, is the DVD burner sharing another drive on the same IDE cable? Hopefully your hard drive is not on the same cable as it!
If the burner is sharing the cable with another CD-ROM/CD-R drive, try physically disconnecting that drive. I had a major compatibility issue with an Asus 50x CDROM and my new Liteon CD burner. Removing the Asus drive and replacing it with a Toshiba DVD-ROM solved all my CRC-error issues.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Hey all.
Don't know if DMA CAN be enabled. It is a five year old hard drive, after all. However, it is soon to be replaced with an upgraded 60GB 7200 RPM Maxtor. Right now it's a 10GB Maxtor.
As for the IDE Channels, yep, it is connected to the Hard Drive, so as to free up cables in the system and make it easier to spot things in there. But, that's easilly switchable as soon as my TV tuner is finished recording :).

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
As for the IDE Channels, yep, it is connected to the Hard Drive, so as to free up cables in the system and make it easier to spot things in there.
Bad boy! :) Make sure that the DVD writer is on a separate IDE channel from the hard drive. It is generally good practice to put hard drives on the primariy channel and optical drives on the secondary. This of course assumes that you only have a maximum of two each.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks