So how good is that Monster Warranty? You feel lucky, punk?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Chu Gai, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Moderators, if you feel this belongs somewhere else, please move it to where you see fit.

The following isn't so much about Monster, as it is about warranties that you find on surge protectors. However, seeing as you can find Monster products just about everywhere, I've arbitrarily chosen them.

"Congratulations Mr. Smith, that's a fine system you've put together. I'm sure you want to get the most out of it and protect your investment. So many people were sorry during this summer's blackout that they didn't buy a Monster (surge protector, power conditioner, whatever) to protect their cherished electronics. Yes, I know you can buy something over at Ace Hardware, but really, what does Madden know about protecting your electronic? Your investment in Monster products means that not only will Monster replace this unit if it fails, but should your equipment be damaged, Monster covers it. After all, you get what you pay for."

"Yes honey, I know it's over $150 (or whatever) but I don't want anything to happen to this HT system that we bought. Besides if anything happens Monster will replace it."

Well the seeds were planted. Get what you pay for. Big company. Replace my equipment. Sound familiar? Ever buy something because a salesman waved a warranty in your face? Well actually, they don't wave it, they just give you an abreviated Reader's Digest version of it. For those old enough, remember those undercoating warranties that the dealers would try and hit you with? And besides, you want to get that system home and hook it up. God forbid my power's dirty and god forbid a surge comes and fries this equipment. My wife'll kill me.

Well let's look at the Monster Warranty: http://www.monstercable.com/warranty/warranty_mp.asp
    Click through the various pages and study them. Let's abstract a few of the more interesting things that the salesman didn't tell you.

Its time limit varies depending upon the unit you bought.
    Everything connecting to your system needs to run through the Monster PowerCenter. Not a Panamax. Not a Belkin. Monster. Most of the other companies say the same thing too.
    Does you building wiring conform to NEC or CED codes? Can you prove it and if you can will the cost exceed what you're claiming for?
    Got your sales receipt? No? Oops.

Let's say you pass all the tests. The HT was damaged. So what do you do? Well scroll down to the Connected Equipment Claim and read. Basically it goes like this.
    Call them and tell them what happened. You'll get an RMA for the Monster Product. They're going to check it and see if was damaged. If there's no evidence of damage, then claim denied.
    IF you're going to be reimbursed, it'll be at fair market value. Don't think for a minute that's the Audiogon price. Monster will determine what it's worth. But I just bought it you say. Nope, you bought it, you own it, it's used.

All this is going to take a very long time. They may well replace your unit and you might think, "Wow, I've got a brand new whatever, it's the latest model, and costs $50 more than I paid for the old one." Think again. Monster could've sold you 2, 3, 4 of those units and still made a profit. I have heard stories where a Modem's been replaced. Whoopee!

Let's look at some various stories, not neccessarily Monster, where we can hear about people's experiences with companies that offer a warranty.

From the newsgroup alt.video.ptv.tivo we have the following posted on 9/10/2002

2. Ted Pugh

Ted Pugh Stunt Coordinator

CHU,

Very good thread. I have always been nervous about buying expensive surge protectors, power regulators etc and that is why I buy the cheapest monster product avaible. I purchase just to have some sorta protection for a very little piece of mind.

3. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

The fact is equipment isn't going to get damaged very often because good surge protectors of all brands(not the little $10 strips you get at the hardware store)work very well and all of the manufacturers know that going in.

Sure, the protectors get fried in a big surge, but they do what they were designed to do; that is, stop the equipment from being damaged. If something does slip through, it's most often going to be the users fault for not having it set up properly(like giving the surge a back door through a coax cable).

It is only reasonable from a business perspective to not have a liberal replacement policy, otherwise they would be inviting fraud. So yes, the replacement plans are mostly for marketing purposes, but Monster and many other companies are very good about replacing the surge protectors. It is usually handled through the retailer though.

DJ

4. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

this is the reason im going with a richard grey power unit.

"To date, with well over 6000 units in service not one defective unit has been returned for warranty repair or MOV replacement, nor do we expect QC to ever be an issue due to the simplicity of our design. "

plus, they improve audio and video MUCH more than the monster units do.

5. Mark Danner

Mark Danner Stunt Coordinator

My only return experience so far (knock on wood) has been with APC. I went to turn my PC on at the surge station and it would not come on. I unplugged my pc from the APC and plugged it straight into the outlet. My PC booted up fine. I called APC they sent me a new surge protector under the provision that I send the cooked unit back in the box that they sent the new one in. No questions asked. I dont even think they asked for a receipt but I think I registered mine online when I bought it. Granted it was only a $50 protector and not a $200 Monster surge/line conditioner.

6. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Well, I know of four people who have gotten their HT's replaced due to Monster warranties.
    Only one of them had to send in more paperwork after having sent them his burnt unit. They sent out a check for all of their equipment. I was never informed of the exact amount, but they had been happy.

I've sent Monster cables of mine that I deemed defective, b/c they dropped my Satellite signal and s-video cables that had soldering loose. They cut me a check for the original amount and gave me the option of upgrading to their next higher cables for free.

Despite their markup the company has good service and makes a good product, which is good enough for most people. Not everyone has time to search for the best internet cables, but some of us do and there's nothing wrong w/ that.

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

No kidding? Monster replaced HT systems with no paperwork. You and I must have different outlooks on what constitutes a good product. You've had defective cables.

There's a couple of points that maybe need to be reemphasized. Firstly, this post was primarily directed to their surge protectors. Secondly, not a Monster, nor an el-cheapo, nor a Richard Gray is going to be effective at shunting a surge that comes from lighting. That requires the presence and proximity of a good earth ground and point of use devices are too far away from that. Heck, a whole house unit can be bought at Home Depot for less than many Monster units. And for that matter, various Panamax's, Belkins, APC's, etc. Further, if your HT system is important to you, why risk getting pennies, if that, on the dollar, when you can buy insurance that covers you %100? Heck you'll be praying for your stuff to get destroyed just so you can 'upgrade'.

8. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

Chu, you are my hero for today. I'd email you a beer for that post if I could.

9. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Well Chu you have an interesting "flare" for your responses.

"No kidding? Monster replaced HT systems with no paperwork."

Touche, except I never said this?! I said one of the customers actually had to fill out more paperwork in order to get his check.

Also, my response was to inform you that many customers have had Monster take care of their electric problems in an expedient manner. Why wouldn't they, considering their equipment is such a cashcow? It would just perpetuate more sales.

Realistically, most people just want a good cable for their equipment right when they purchase it. Monster has good name recognition and is always local in most chains.
    They charge for this. It's called capitalism. One of the HTFers may go for Bettercables or Blue Jeans Cable, all the power to them.

Just quit beating dead horses or dead limbs of horses.

10. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well my apologies Adil for misunderstanding your earlier post as it was suggestive that no paperwork was required. Perhaps you can get them to post their experiences. That would be enormously beneficial.

I'm not a fan of prorated compensation and it's a prudent thing to get insurance. For example the insurance can frequently be structured such that if your equipment was stolen, lost (don't ask me how that happens!), damaged in any way whatsoever (and that includes you dropping a glass of beer into the receiver), you can get a full replacement. Now if you want to pay less, you can always opt for a deductible.

Frankly, I expect most companies to give good service and if I don't like it, then someone hears about it. Hey look, there's charging and there's charging exhorbitant prices. I'm a fan of capitalism. I'm also a fan of well-informed consumers. Sadly there's next to nothing of substance on Monster's site and there's nothing there to help guide a consumer in choosing a product. Nor will one find much to suggest under what conditions a consumer would benefit from say balanced power or products that incorporate isolation transfomers. Nothing there that tells you what the cable requirements are for someone who wants to run component video. Not even the gauge of their wire. Consumer be damned. They do have a very nice compensation package for both the store and the employees. For those who care, you can read this link from Forbes Magazine to get additional insight.

So tell me, when you sell a power conditioning device, do you explain what the warranty is and it's limitations? Does Monster or anyone else tell you how long you can be expected to be without your system?

No dead horse...simply informed consumers and once they're informed, they can buy all the Monster or Panamax or APC they like.

11. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

I have a very nice Belkin surge protector for my computer, and a nice Belkin for my audio stuff.

I know the warranty stuff is a JOKE, so I just buy a good unit, and cross my fingers [​IMG]

Tell me more about the 'whole house units'?

12. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Nice post Chu. Drink a beer on me tonight.

13. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Looking forward to one day drinking a pitcher or two together Yogi.

14. Mike Boniferro

Mike Boniferro Second Unit

15. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

You're mistaken Michael. According to Monster, the Connected Equipment Guarantee varies with 5 years being the most typical. There is no lifetime provision except on certain products. For example, the AV600 has a lifetime warranty, the HTS1000 has a 5 year warranty, etc.

I've got a more jaded, corporation self-serving, outlook regarding many warranties. Out of curiousity, what do you consider a HUGE premium? Do you insure your house and the contents for fair-market value?

16. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

What can we, the apartment renters do in the way of electronic protec tion above and beyond renters insurance, that isnt a waste of good money?

17. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

Chu I must disagree with you even as educated as your post comes across. Have you ever dealt with monster, belkin, panamax, etc on product replacement? I can dig up numerous posts about numerous product positive or negative, just depending on what suits my purpose. Also you mainly list monster in your thread but yet you do not provide one concrete complaint about monster's product replacement,they are all quotes from other product names? I have seen countless products replaced and have yet to see the customer get the wrong side of the stick. You note about having to save the receipt for your products and your power strip, do you not have to have a receipt when you have pretty much most everything repaired via waranty? Again a very educated post but still no factual evidence to throw monster to the wolves.

18. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

It did regretfully get sidetracked to Monster, but in the beginning I did write the following.

19. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

Chu,
    You can go to their testimonials on their website of course those are biased to, you may say you are not calling out monster, but why are they in your title? Really tho you are the one talking down these company's, so shouldn't you provide negative feedback to reinforce your statement.

20. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

1) I've been to their power testimonial site (http://www.monstercable.com/speakup/....asp?SiteID=20) over a period of time. Not one post that dealt with claims. I've also seen Q-Ray testimonials but we all know that doesn't work. You do know that bad testimonials never make it to these sites.
    2) It's a headline grabber to draw attention to the aspect of warranty issues primarily and to inform people that point of use devices can't protect against truly deadly surges. Warranties are quite double edged and they are written in afford a substantial amount of protection to the companies. BTW, I'm marketing a contraceptive foam that will prevent pregnancies between humans and aliens from Venus. I have a warranty that states should the alien become impregnated, my company will cover all medical expenses associated with the delivery. Good deal, huh?
    3) I provided people's experiences and they were quoted with references so you could find them if you wanted to. Now it may be that my web searching skills are lacking, but I failed to see one example of a glowing testimonial for connected equipment that was replaced.

These warranties are by intent, vague and you'll find that claims will be denied because there are many exemptions and interpretations with the final arbiter of the interpretation being the company that's giving the warranty. For example, from Monster's site we have the following...