Dead Ringers Criterion vs Anchor Bay

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jacob_St, Feb 17, 2002.

1. Jacob_St

Jacob_St Second Unit

I have the Anchor Bay Dead Ringers and I'm wondering if the picture and sound on the Criterion is good enough to warrant a repurchase. I love this movie but 30 bucks is alot to pay unless there's a big improvement.

2. JackJD

JackJD Stunt Coordinator

I would pick it up (if one can find it) if for no other reason as a collector... It is out of print. Regardless of the OOP issue, I think the disc is well worth the money. -JD

3. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I agree, the making of segments are also very interesting on the Criterion version.

4. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    The compression on the Criterion disc is a lot better than the Anchor Bay version. To my eyes they appeared to be taken from the same master but the Criterion had a little more detail (due to the higher bit rate I'm guessing) and a lot less mosquito artifacting. The Anchoy Bay disc was released years ago, Back when they where just as bad as Fox Lorber. Dead Ringers was actually one of their better dvds at the time but the Criterion disc is noticeably better.

If you are more interested in picture quality than extras, You may want to hold off a little longer and see if MGM release it with an anamorphic transfer.

5. Jacob_St

Jacob_St Second Unit

I just wanted to thank everyone for their comments. I decided to hand over the cash and buy it.