What's new

Dayton -- Sub Hum (1 Viewer)

Mark_H

Stunt Coordinator
Just purchased my first Sub, its one of the Dayton 10" 100w versions.

Sounds great but it seems to have one annoying problem.

If I get close to it I can hear a hum, even when its not turned itself on. By that I mean its set to auto-on but the light is red and the amp has not powered on yet.

Parts Express sent me another amp and I changed it out, it seems maybe a bit better but the hum is still there.

Is this normal?

Would appreciate any advice.

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator
are you using shielded cables? I changed mine and it took care of the problem. Good Luck
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Mark_H

Stunt Coordinator
The Sub is in the back corner of my Room under the RR Surround.

I'm using about 25ft of RG-6 under the floor with a 3ft Sub cable on either end to connect to the Sub and Reciever.

Since the Sub is not on the same wall as the receiver its not hooked to the same outlet. The Receiver and all other equipment Run off of an AR Surge/Power Conditioner Strip and the Sub runs off of a wall plate type surge protector. I've tried it straight of the wall plate with the same results.

The Sub doesn't have a ground pin on its plug, only the two prongs.

Its not a loud hum and I'm not sure its coming from the speaker because it happens when the Amp is off (Auto-On Position)

It sounds like a Transformer humming to me and it happens whether or not I have the signal cable from the Receiver plugged in or not.

Also disconnecting the RG-6 from my Dish Receiver to the TV Didn't help.

The hum isn't loud but if the rooms very quiet and I'm sitting close to the Sub I can hear it. If you put your head close to or on the Sub you can hear it in a normal noise setting.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator
If you've got a tester you can check if there's a ground loop on the wall socket itself. That tends to be the usual culprit of sub hum.

Vito/D

Stunt Coordinator
I had the very same problem. Sounds like a ground loop. Do you have cable t.v?
Make sure you connect the OUTSIDE cable into the cable box.
Try that and see what happens.
Or if you a power conditioner with cable in and out, connect the OUTSIDE cable FIRST into the power conditioner, and then to the cable box.

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
My Dayton 10" hums regardless if it's on or off but I have to put my ear right up to it to hear it.
It sounds as loud as the transformer in my avr125.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks