What's new

keiga or hypex plate amp (1 Viewer)

Bstloukal1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Byron
I have started a diy sub project. Build is a dual ported 9.5 cubic foot box tuned to around 18hz for HT use only. The sub is a dayton RSS390HF-4 15. I have been in a holding pattern on the plate amp as i have seen the reviews on the dayton's and do not feel that the quality of them are worth the purchase do to the humming and sleep mode popping issues. Also the oaduio bash amps are currently out of stock and there is not currently a restocking date on them. So I believe my only choice are below. Let me know your thoughts or if these are over kill.
Does anyone have experience with the keiga 52100 sp 1000 watt amp or the Hypex DS8.0? If so what have your experiences been? Don't really want to drop that kind of money but if thats what it takes to get a good quality amp then maybe that's what I need to do. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What about the Behringer iNuke DSP models? You can control the subsonic filter and use the EQ to flatten the in-room response.
That's a big box for a 15. How did you determine the specs?

Bstloukal1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Byron
The spec on the Dayton Rss390hf-4 15 calls for that volume. I got help from forums and winisd also on the spec and ports. I am not educated at all on the inuke dsp. I did glance at the 1000dsp but that's as far as it went. I was planning in doing an active sub but could change that if it is a better option. If you can let me know the advantages of the inuke dsp versus the plate amps. Also I heard that I would need to change the fan out on the inuke as it runs loud. Thoughts on this? Also thoughts on the sub I have picked? I have no problem
Going a different direction on that either. Thanks

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The spec on the Dayton Rss390hf-4 15 calls for that volume.
That's the Vas parameter. That's not the enclosure volume recommendation. On another forum, I've seen ported enclosures up to about 8.5 cubic feet. But the recommendation with your available space is to double up on the drivers, go sealed and use the EP-4000 amp.
I was planning in doing an active sub but could change that if it is a better option.
Internal amp vs. external amp. Same results.
If you can let me know the advantages of the inuke dsp versus the plate amps.
More power for less money. Plus you get 8 bands of parametric EQ. That's like a small Feedback Destroyer built-in.
Also I heard that I would need to change the fan out on the inuke as it runs loud. Thoughts on this?
$15 at the most and 15 minutes. That's what it took to change out the fan on my EP-2500 amp.

Bstloukal1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Byron
Planned enclosure dimensions are 26.5" cubed with 2 ports 4" diameter flared tuned to 18hz Would that amp be over kill for this project. Also, do you know what fan and from were you picked it up at?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
One channel of that amp would be enough to push the sub in that enclosure to xmax.
I'll find you the part number. I picked up my fan from Digikey a few years ago. I think Behringer amps all use the same fan but I'll check to be sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks