What's new

'Day of the Dead: SE' audio dubs identified-NOT THAT BAD (1 Viewer)

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

Rin:

I do "get it" - if you don't see that, I can give you a "hint hint hint".

Anyway, no hard feelings, bro. Peace - out!

Ooops - you can't hear me 'cause I've been banished!:frowning:

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
Wow rin, you're the one who doesn't seem to "get it". To call dissenters from your position that audio dubs are OK (which is what I've gathered from what you've said) "pathetic" is ignorant and offensive. If stating an opinion is tantamount to shoving it down one's throat, then you are just as guilty. But your position is even worse because you choose to put people on your ignore list that you disagree with. That's fine; it's clear you have no intelligent argument to offer as you refuse to defend your position that dubs that are unecessary are OK. You'd rather just call those who are upset "pathetic" and a "minority". It's clear to me that those are annoyed with Anchor Bay's incompetence that has been seen many times are not in a minority. I have a hard time understanding anyone who defends the shoddy production work found on this DVD.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy

Thats going to be hard issue to avoid when you read other people posts on an internet forum. Sounds like you need to add all HTF members to your ignore list. I guess I don't have the right to post because Im about to give an opinion.

I am going to buy the DOTD DVD on tuesday. I acknowledge the errors on the audio, and wish they were not there. I dont know all the dialogue by heart, so I wont notice the mistakes. I made decision not to find out what all the errors were.

I can sympathize with the people who notice the errors and choose not to buy the disc. If one word of dialogue was changed in Raiders of The Lost Ark, I would probably freak out too.

There are two valid sides to the "will I buy it" arguement. I have knowingly bought discs with worse problems than this one. I agree that anchor bay has issues, but its hard to argue that they did not put forth a great effort on this disc, with the intention to deliver the best product possible.

Im not defending anchor bay. This is a problem that should be fixed. I will get a replacement, if they issue it. Until then, Im going to buy the disc on tuesday, watch it, and enjoy it.

Topher

Stunt Coordinator
I just watched this a second time last night, more carefully albeit, and still didn't really notice anything. Is that what this thread is still about? Should I flame someone? :D

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Since Anchor Bay doesn't own the movies they put out...is it possible they had to use what they had? I have bought other movies and shows that are that way. You get what they get. I have never seen Day, but i was going to get it.

rin

Stunt Coordinator
eff Anchor Bay.
:angry: Nice.
:thumbsdown:

BTW, there are 39,501 HTF members who aren't on my ignore list. That makes four individuals who made the list because they just couldn't seem to have an intelligent discussion about anything. They resulted to insults, accusations, changing the subject and other various annoying tactics when others didn't agree with them. Everyone uses the ignore list but no one ever really mentions it. I'm not sure why that is. If I can put all these people on the list, I will have more time to interact with those members who are able to discuss a topic rationally, to agree to disagree. Also, If I tell you that you're going on the list, you don't have to waste your time and energy replying to me because you know I won't see it.

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator

Let me take you by the hand and explain this quote to you as you don't seem to understand it. While, yes, you have every right to purchase this dvd and I'm not telling you not to, but if you do AND you don't complain to Anchor Bay THEN they won't think anything is wrong and will continue to put out product such as this, with flaws. Get it?

BTW, go ahead and put me on your ignore list please. If you haven't already. And I don't have anyone on my ingore list.

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
Alright, let's just agree to disagree. I don' think the dubbing is that bad and anyone who was a little iffy on buying this probably appreciated another's opinion. Those of you not buying this I admire the fact that you're sticking to your guns, also says you have a lot of patience. Being one of my favorite films that first DVD was just a slap in the face, it's the worst transfer I've ever seen. I wasn't willing to wait for Anchor Bay to do a recall or what have you, I have no patience when it comes to knowing that there's a better product out there. Until Anchor Bay has an announcement I'm happy with the release and if there are others who are not buying it due to the dub that doesn't bother me at all, it just shows that you have high standards and there's nothing wrong with that.

All I'm really trying to say is that the dubs are not OK, not in any sense, but they're tolerable and shouldn't ruin the film.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Travis... is your sig from the new DVD or the old one? ;)

IM RUNNIN' THIS MONKEY FARM NOW, FRANKENSTEIN!

Dave Anderson

Second Unit
I haven't had time to watch this just yet. Obviously this comes down to one's own preference regarding the partial mutilation of a film. Something like a few changed lines isn't a show stopper for me. Yes, Anchor Bay SHOULD acknowledge the problem and even correct it and offer replacement discs. But if they don't, well, like I said, it's not a show stopper for me.

I was more upset over the loss of colors on Halloween 25.

rin

Stunt Coordinator
While, yes, you have every right to purchase this dvd and I'm not telling you not to, but if you do AND you don't complain to Anchor Bay THEN they won't think anything is wrong and will continue to put out product such as this, with flaws. Get it?
Terry, I disagree with your statement. I think something done deliberately by the studio, like releasing a MAR disc or censoring dialog is unacceptable and complaining about it might have a positive effect on the studio's policies for future releases but there are always going to be mistakes made by the mere mortals who create them. Do you really think there will ever be a 100% perfect disc? Haven't you guys ever made a mistake?

Yes Terry, the flawed discs are bound to keep coming since they are all made by imperfect humans. If we can be reasonable and calmly discuss our opinions together, and state our case to the studios in a like manner, we are much more likely to get positive results all the way around.

BTW, I didn't even notice the dubs as I haven't seen DOTD in a few years and I don't know the dialog by heart. I still plan on contacting Anchor Bay about the problems though to help out my HTF buddies who are upset about this issue.

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator
Because Anchor Bay refuses to make any type of statement regarding this issue and chooses to ignore my (and probably others') e-mails then we don't know if it was a mistake or intentional. That's why we have to hound them until they respond. If it's a honest mistake, fine, fix it. If the discs were put out there, knowing the dubs were not original then they have some serious explaining to do and then they should fix it.

Of course people make mistakes but Anchor Bay has made way too many lately. Changing the look of Halloween after it was approved by Dean Cundy on the 1999 release is ridiculous. Not to mention stating here in a chat the tv footage would be on the new set and now it isn't. The Opera fiasco. The Suspiria soundtrack changes. Tenebre having edits for 'print damage.' Deep Red having altered end credits and newly created digital opening credits. Phenomena screwing up on almost every machine in the world. And these are just from the dvd's I own. BTW, I have dozens and dozens of what I would consider 100% perfect dvd's for the time in which they came out.

Ray_Gootz

Stunt Coordinator
Hi everyone, long time lurker, first-time poster

Well I bought DOTD on Thursday and was happily watching it until the power went out. At first I was perplexed "Great not only did they use the wrong audio dubs but it also destroyed my computer!"

All kidding aside this is a fantastic DVD and just because two curse words were removed dosen't change that fact. I've barley noticed it at all. There's so much great stuff on this disc that the good FAR out-weights the bad and if your a Zombie fan and not picking this up...well you value curse words far more than I do. I can certainly understand if all the curse words were removed but it's barley noticeable. This movie looks brand-new.

Hopefully those that don't buy DOTD will also steer clear of the Indiana Jones box set. We've all heard the rumors of them touching up one scene. To me that's the same as the messed up audio dubs in DOTD. If your gonna hold a cult movie to high-ass standards you should hold Paramount and their three flagship titles to the same. So if the folks on this thread turn up on the Indy thread in a few months praising the set...can anyone say Hypocrites? Because I sure can!

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
It doesn't make a difference to me about whether or not people want to buy this movie. Sure, there is an audio problem, but it doesn't really make a big difference to me. I'm not saying the studio is wrong or right, but it is a personal decision. Should we boycott the FOTR releases because they removed the car from the background? IMHO, if you want to buy a movie, go for it. If there are problems that bother you, then don't.
I skipped the new Halloween because of the color problems because that bothered me. Others bought it. I'm not going to say, "Damn you all for buying a flawed release!" Instead, I say, "Enjoy it, not for me, but maybe they'll fix it. Life goes on."

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Well, like Mr. Ray_Gootz, I too am a long time lurker, first time poster, but I had to respond to the attitude that somehow Anchor Bay was responsible for the dialogue change on Day. In a post by Don May, Jr., on the Horror/Sci-fi Board at the Mobius Home Video Forum, he said

These audio changes were NOT done by Anchor Bay. The audio that was given to Anchor Bay for this was on a set of mag audio tracks that were given to them right from the vault from the licensors.
So, if anybody is to blame the licensors should be first on the list for giving Anchor Bay a set of audio tracks that were different from the final theatriacl audio.

I do, however, think that Anchor Bay needs to publically address this issue (as well as the color screw up on Halloween).

Since I'm new here it wont let me post a link to his post, but if you go to the horror/sci-fi board at MHVF and do a search for the thread you can read all of Mr. May's post (where he says that the upcoming The Hills Have Eyes DVD will have the original Mono soundtrack):emoji_thumbsup:

Derrick King

Screenwriter
With all due respect to Mr. Don May, he is not a spokesman for Anchor Bay.
You do know who Don is, right?

Anyway, I did say that it'd be nice for somebody at Anchor Bay to address this issue. But failing that, I'm taking Don's word on this, because, as Damin said, he does know what he is talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks