'Day of the Dead: SE' audio dubs identified-NOT THAT BAD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Travis_W, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Travis_W

Travis_W Supporting Actor

I picked this disc up early today (hint: major chain) and sat down to watch it right of the bat. I'm fully aware of the audio controversy and have read every review known at this point. I've watched this film... easily more than thirty times and know it nearly verbatim (audio based memory). So I knew I'd pick up on these audio dubs over the original soundtrack...I did...you know how many times they dubbed it...get ready for it...2. 2 times, that's it. Human error/ unfixable problem. Here are the exact times and dubs that occurred, the line on the left is from the previous release, the second of the special edition.

09:34- "Shit..." becomes "Right..."

1:11:19- "Oh, Jesus-" becomes "I can't bel-"

That's it. Hardly anything to not buy this great disc over. There were some reviews that stated they heard it 6 to 7 times. Nope. One review even said a line was changed to something like, "Stick me with your needles and make me shout!"...nope. 2 times that's it and some people aren't buying this because of that.

They probably used the Japanse laser transfer and were unable to fix the problem. I mean the transfer is just...stunning. This is one of the best transfers I've ever seen, zero edge enhancement, no compression artifacts. Some people are trying to find the old disc just because of this small flaw in the audio, boy would they be sorry if they saw this transfer.
    The bottom line is that the entire soundtrack is somehow flawed now and that's a shame. But does it detract from the film? Absolutely not. Anchor Bay won't fix this problem, mainly because it's so insignificant. So if you're a fan you NEED to pick this disc up, you won't be dissappointed.

2. Pete T C

Pete T C Second Unit

Good stuff, some of the reviews made it sound pretty bad.

3. DeanWalsh

DeanWalsh Second Unit

Great to hear your take on it Travis. As important as it seems for the soundtrack to be identical, I think people are getting overly anal about such releases lately... it's definitely going to be the best the film has ever looked and sounded, and obviously it can come down to available source material as to what can be produced. I say if someone's picky enough to pay a fortune for the old, awful transfer, then let them spend it., it's their loss, especially if they are boycotting this new release... lol

4. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

This makes me feel a lot better about being unable to resist purchasing it when I discovered it on the shelves early, most likely at that same major chain. [​IMG]

No willpower, must find willpower... [​IMG]

5. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

Can't wait... can't wait...

6. Edward Schatz

Edward Schatz Second Unit

More power to you guys. I won't give my money to them until they at least admit the fault and state why they won't or can't fix the problem.

7. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy

Meanwhile, Ill be watching Day of The Dead SE with a huge grin on my face. Have fun!

8. Edward Schatz

Edward Schatz Second Unit

And you are grinning about what? The fact you spent 20 dollars on a product that has known faults and the company that produced it won't even admit it? I hope you enjoy your defective product. [​IMG]

Hm, I wonder if they'll be more inclined to let mistakes like this slide in the future.

9. TerryW

TerryW Stunt Coordinator

Anyone who buys this and doesn't care about the sound issue is part of the reason why we're continuing to get faulty product such as this. I saw this in the theaters about a dozen times while hanging out with a friend in the projection booth and that 'jesus' line is a very memorable moment. There is absolutely no reason why they couldn't take those few lines from yet another source to make it complete. I'm 100% convinced that Anchor Bay is deliberately screwing up these releases as well as 'discovering' new extras or finally 'getting' the Criterion commentary (for Halloween) to make some of us buy multiple versions. eff Anchor Bay. [​IMG]

10. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

Thanks Travis, I'll pick it up now. I'm not familier with the film so it won't bother me much - it's just 2 bits of dialogue...that's all.

11. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

There are complete breakdown reviews on other sites such as DVDManiacs and its not 2 lines its 6 lines. I agree to buy this and say its ok without a statement from Anchor Bay is giving them the ok to make mistakes on all future releases.
    No Sale [​IMG]

12. Jonny R

Jonny R Agent

6 audio changes:

9:15- It's crazy, different voice

9:35- Sh!t to "Right"

58:48- Gunshot is partially missing

1:01:33- It's the Spic, different voice

1:11:20- Oh Jesus to I can't look

1:20:30- Jesus to "Stuck".

13. Travis_W

Travis_W Supporting Actor

I don't know about those 6 audio changes, sure they're in there but if they are I didn't notice them and I was watching it like a hawk.

14. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

I hope this disc is a giant, gonzo, major... success for ABE! [​IMG]

15. Christopher_J_F

Christopher_J_F Stunt Coordinator

16. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

17. Todd Robertson

Todd Robertson Second Unit

yep....'nother sale here. got it Tueday and I've watched it twice. this dvd rocks!! the transfer is jaw-dropping...the best I've ever seen it look. the few and minor audio issues do not take any pleasure away in having this...even if I am pissed that it could not be done right. the love out-weighs the hate.

18. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Well, some pan and scan transfers don't look all that bad either...

19. rin

rin Stunt Coordinator

Comparing the deliberate act of mutilating a film by cropping and scanning it to fit into a 4:3 AR with making a couple of inadvertent mistakes in the audio is really quite a stretch. Very amusing statement. Bravo! [​IMG]

While I agree on the OAR stance completely and would never knowingly buy a non-OAR disc, the film is always more important than the presentation. A lot of people lose sight of that. If something as minor as this can upset you to the point of not being able to enjoy the film, you'll never be satisfied with any DVD. Let's face it, there will probably never be a perfect disc.

This thread could go the way of the Silent Hill3 thread fiasco.

20. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

"Citizen Kane" would still be a great film if "Rosebud" were dubbed over with another word, but it would be nonetheless inexcusable. Now, "Day of the Dead" isn't exactly "Citizen Kane" but every movie is somebody's favorite and "Day" ultimately deserves a proper presentation just as much as any other title. I won't be buying it until Anchor Bay acknowledges their error.