What's new

HBO Max David Holmes: The Boy Who Lived (2023)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Title: David Holmes: The Boy Who Lived (2023)

Genre: Documentary

Director: Dan Hartley

Cast: David Holmes, Daniel Radcliffe

Release: 2023-11-16

Runtime: 83

Plot: As Daniel Radcliffe’s stunt double in the Harry Potter films, David Holmes’ work has been seen worldwide by millions of people. Tragically an on-set accident ended what David calls “the best job in the world,” leaving him paralyzed and confined to a wheelchair. Like the on-screen character he helped bring to life, David is determined to continue seeking adventure and living life to the fullest despite mounting obstacles.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This documentary focuses on David Holmes. He was Daniel Radcliffe's primary stunt double on all of the Harry Potter films until an accident on the set of Deathly Hallows left him paralyze.

I've looked at a lot of the behind-the-scenes material released for Harry Potter over the years, but I don't remember being aware of this story until the trailer for this film was released a couple of weeks ago. There is some behind-the-scenes footage here, but the documentary mostly focuses on Holmes' life now and how it was permanently changed because of this incident.

This is a significant reminder of how much stunt performers put themselves at risk in the name of our entertainment without much in the way of audience acknowledgment. I watch the credits on films, so I'm sure I have seen David Holmes' name scroll past several times. But during the films themselves, I don't think about that. I just see Harry, which is of course the point.

Radcliffe is in the documentary too, and they have remained friends since the accident and the end of the film series.

Harry Potter fans are obviously going to want to watch this, but it transcends the series itself because it is really about David Holmes as an individual. So I don't think you need to be a Harry Potter fan in order to appreciate this doc.

It is now on Max alongside the Harry Potter films themselves.

Last edited:
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks