What's new

Danny Kaye on blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
You did say you were embarrassed by his post which he took as a slight from you towards him. Smiley or no smiley.

Oh, now seriously - the "embarrassed by your post" was a direct PLAY on his "I"m embarrassed by Danny Kaye." It wasn't a slight and the smiley was put there just in case someone didn't get it.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Very little impetus out there to preserve the work of DK.

Dear Mr. Harris:

It has always, in tandem, marveled and baffled me what gets released to Blu and what continues to be ignored. Danny Kaye's presence as a world-wide phenomena in his own time should have warranted at least a handful of his movies making their way to Blu-ray by now. But again, it's always been a source of consternation to see a movie like, say, Two Weeks in Another Town, come to Blu, when the movie that launched it, The Bad and the Beautiful, remains MIA in hi-def. At some level, the rights holders to these creative legacies must recognize that asset management means more than simply locking away the world's entertainment in climate-controlled vaults that stave off, but do not halt the overall deterioration of original and/or surviving elements.

An archive is, frankly, worthless, if its content is denied to the outside world. Art is meant to be seen - and, in the case of films - re-seen. And in a condition befitting the original intent of the artists who created it. Having just screened the Kino Blu of Lana Turner's Portrait in Black (1960), and lamenting its pathetically faded Pathe color, I can't help but reconsider the two schools of thought on releasing 'old' movies to hi-def.

On the one hand, as a collector, am I to be elated that the aforementioned title has actually arrived on Blu-ray, or am I to feign insult by the deplorable condition Universal Home Video considers 'acceptable' to satisfy my insatiable need to own this deep catalog title in whatever condition it currently exists? And, on the other hand, are we to continue to buy into the age-old argument that it is just 'too expensive' to do anything to preserve and restore the moldering relics of the past, and therefore, merely resign ourselves to the reality that some great movies will never see the light of day again? For this passionate champion of the cause - option #2 is no option at all!

In a perfect world, every movie would be slated for a 'ground-up' photochemical and digital restoration to resurrect its original brilliance. Not practical - I know. But keeping the likes and legacies of stars like Garbo, Gable, Shearer, Garland, Turner, Stewart, Wayne, Esther Williams, Powell (Jane and Bill), Lanza, a buried secret from newer generations isn't the answer either. Hollywood's legacy was not founded on the movies being made today. Nor is it likely to survive into the future on the disposable content that in no way compares to the classics most of us adore and champion on these message boards. Just 'my' two cents, of course, but is there no one working behind the scenes today - present company excluded of course, and with admirable nods to Martin Scorsese at the Film Foundation - who cares enough about film to honor the past as it ought to have been so long ago.

Ted Turner's monumental push to release virtually anything and everything to VHS back in the heady days of early home video proliferation was the valiant kick start that helped spawn the cottage industry for 'nostalgia'. Time for someone to do the same for great classic art on Blu-ray! It can, and has to be done. I don't have all the answers. But I sincerely would like to try. I'll leave you with the tag line from the movie poster to 1974's classic compendium, That's Entertainment!

"More than a movie! It's a Celebration! Boy, do we need it now!"

Your thoughts, sir, would be greatly appreciated herein.

Best in all things,
NZ

Last edited:

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Dear Mr. Harris:

It has always, in tandem, marveled and baffled me what gets released to Blu and what continues to be ignored. Danny Kaye's presence as a world-wide phenomena in his own time should have warranted at least a handful of his movies making their way to Blu-ray by now. But again, it's always been a source of consternation to see a movie like, say, Two Weeks in Another Town, come to Blu, when the movie that launched it, The Bad and the Beautiful, remains MIA in hi-def. At some level, the rights holders to these creative legacies must recognize that asset management means more than simply locking away the world's entertainment in climate-controlled vaults that stave off, but do not halt the overall deterioration of original and/or surviving elements.

An archive is, frankly, worthless, if its content is denied to the outside world. Art is meant to be seen - and, in the case of films - re-seen. And in a condition befitting the original intent of the artists who created it. Having just screened the Kino Blu of Lana Turner's Portrait in Black (1960), and lamenting its pathetically faded Pathe color, I can't help but reconsider the two schools of thought on releasing 'old' movies to hi-def.

On the one hand, as a collector, am I to be elated that the aforementioned title has actually arrived on Blu-ray, or am I to feign insult by the deplorable condition Universal Home Video considers 'acceptable' to satisfy my insatiable need to own this deep catalog title in whatever condition it currently exists? And, on the other hand, are we to continue to buy into the age-old argument that it is just 'too expensive' to do anything to preserve and restore the moldering relics of the past, and therefore, merely resign ourselves to the reality that some great movies will never see the light of day again? For this passionate champion of the cause - option #2 is no option at all!

In a perfect world, every movie would be slated for a 'ground-up' photochemical and digital restoration to resurrect its original brilliance. Not practical - I know. But keeping the likes and legacies of stars like Garbo, Gable, Shearer, Garland, Turner, Stewart, Wayne, Esther Williams, Powell (Jane and Bill), Lanza, a buried secret from newer generations isn't the answer either. Hollywood's legacy was not founded on the movies being made today. Nor is it likely to survive into the future on the disposable content that in no way compares to the classics most of us adore and champion on these message boards. Just 'my' two cents, of course, but is there no one working behind the scenes today - present company excluded of course, and with admirable nods to Martin Scorsese at the Film Foundation - who cares enough about film to honor the past as it ought to have been so long ago.

Ted Turner's monumental push to release virtually anything and everything to VHS back in the heady days of early home video proliferation was the valiant kick start that helped spawn the cottage industry for 'nostalgia'. Time for someone to do the same for great classic art on Blu-ray! It can, and has to be done. I don't have all the answers. But I sincerely would like to try. I'll leave you with the tag line from the movie poster to 1974's classic compendium, That's Entertainment!

"More than a movie! It's a Celebration! Boy, do we need it now!"

Your thoughts, sir, would be greatly appreciated herein.

Best in all things,
NZ
I feel your pain Nick. Movies and TV are a unique situation. If someone writes a book, you buy it. It's yours. In the case of film - they let you peek at it when and if they want to. Only recently have we been able to purchase the work and still they decide which ones and at what quality. These released works have now been saved - even if the studio lets them rot - has a flood or fire - goes bankrupt and the assets are thrown in the trash, etc. the works still survive in the hands of collectors. For those not released, studios have the right to let works of art rot and die and we, the public, can only lament their passing. This is like letting the Louvre being allowed to put the Mona Lisa in the cellar to rot.

In my world - extended copyrights would only be granted on works where the owners could demonstrate that they have restored and preserved. If not they lose their right to withhold the film. Once that has been done then to distribute them would be a small cost.

I have already stated that I'm not a huge Danny Kaye fan (it varies) but I still strongly agree that all his works should be preserved and available for viewing. All film should be.

Last edited:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
There's been a very nice looking HD transfer of The Secret Life of Walter Mitty shown on the BBC a few times. I'm not a great fan of Danny Kaye, but I'd love to buy Mitty & The Court Jester on Blu-ray. I can't see how they would sell any less well than any other 40s & 50s film (unless it was horror/sc-fi). The big Hollywood stars/legends don't mean much anymore, time moves on, but the people with the money to buy this stuff & the equipment to show it on remember them.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
One man's meat etc...

I'm in my eighth decade now and I loved Danny Kaye films when I was a child. I've gotta say that I found that embarrassingly unfunny now. :(
Not even laugh when he sings "give em the FIIINGERRRRRR!!! "? LOL I never want to outgrow THAT! I remember staying up late one night in the 80s watching Inspector General followed by The Pirate Movie, the musical from the 80s. It's hard for me to be embarrassed by anything... (as you can see, lol)

Todd Mattraw

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
I can’t imagine ever not loving Danny Kaye’s films, especially THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY and THE COURT JESTER. And STILL they’re MIA on Blu.

Both of those (and a few others) are coming to the Criterion Channel in January --- fingers crossed that they are new masters.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Presumably the original elements are rotting.

If the owners aren’t particularly concerned…

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I can’t imagine ever not loving Danny Kaye’s films, especially THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY and THE COURT JESTER. And STILL they’re MIA on Blu.
the court jester has been available since last year...255204524543

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 23

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
There's been a very nice looking HD transfer of The Secret Life of Walter Mitty shown on the BBC a few times. I'm not a great fan of Danny Kaye, but I'd love to buy Mitty & The Court Jester on Blu-ray. I can't see how they would sell any less well than any other 40s & 50s film (unless it was horror/sc-fi). The big Hollywood stars/legends don't mean much anymore, time moves on, but the people with the money to buy this stuff & the equipment to show it on remember them.
the court jester has been available since last year...255204524543

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 16

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty and The Inspector General are the ones on my hitlist..niether have surfaced on BRD. Although WB did release the DVD format for TSLOWM, the TIG is suspiciously MIA?? There are many 3rd gen Dups on $1 DVDs, the problem is there is no HD editions in the market right now..?

It's like when you want a homemade french Vanilla icecream with real vanilla bean and they hand you an immation wanna be milk bar, it's just SAD!!!
The closest I have seen to anyone trying was the "restored" Edition from Film Detctive. It's the best I've seen ao far but still in need of major help, at least they are trying!!

Someone needs to step up and do what some of these independent outfits, like Kino, Criterion or Olive films are doing, approaching the studios and negotiating a deal where not only they both benefit, but the audience will as well!!!
I saw a comment from Martin Scorcese saying that the clock is ticking on the films from the past and that todate almost 70% of so many films have already been lost!!! And many more are on thier way to becoming "Dead in the Can" from neglect...sad!!

Attachments

• 889290005304.jpg
    889290005304.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 51d0glYGw+L.jpg
    51d0glYGw+L.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 21

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks