What's new

Danny Kaye on blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Warner still owns the Goldwyn titles but they reportedly need a lot of work to be blu worthy. Warner does still have a Paramount deal but Paramount doesn't seem to be providing them any Blu Ray masters they are just re-issuing out of print DVD's. Paramount is licensing to Olive and Kino but only titles that have not been previously released on DVD except for those released by Legend films. So they seem to be holding onto the films previously released on DVD but are barely releasing any of them on blu. These don't really seem like something Criterion would be interested in. They sound right up Kino and Olives alley if they can get the rights and masters.

For the Danny Kaye titles Warner should have:
Up in Arms
Wonderman
The KId from Brooklyn
A Song is Born
Secret Life of Walter Mitty
The Inspector General
Merry Andrew

Paramount would have:
The Court Jester
The Five Pennies

Sony/Colombia:
Me and The Colonel
The Man from the Dinners Club

Fox:
On The Riviera

Well, if you could get most of these that would make an amazing boxed set. Or maybe two sets?

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Hope no-one else has commented on this fact .. I haven't read the entire thread .. just enough to note that most people want my favourite Kaye movie, The Court Jester.
Interesting fact .... Danny Kaye was the great Frances Faye's second cousin ... a fact she mentions in passing on her wonderful cabaret records 'Caught in the Act'.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
As I child I absolutely loved Danny Kaye’s TV show. His movies were new to me and a bit of a revelation.

Today I’m afraid he has joined the group of actors that I can’t watch without feeling embarrassed for him. What I once found hilarious, I now find completely over the top and derivative. Tell me “The Court Jester” for instance is not just a loose re-make of Eddie Cantor’s “Roman Scandals”, with the parsley on the birds changed to a poison drink.

I feel bad about this because Kaye was such a philanthropist, but I find he has dated badly.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
As I child I absolutely loved Danny Kaye’s TV show. His movies were new to me and a bit of a revelation.

Today I’m afraid he has joined the group of actors that I can’t watch without feeling embarrassed for him. What I once found hilarious, I now find completely over the top and derivative. Tell me “The Court Jester” for instance is not just a loose re-make of Eddie Cantor’s “Roman Scandals”, with the parsley on the birds changed to a poison drink.

I feel bad about this because Kaye was such a philanthropist, but I find he has dated badly.
I haven't watched a Danny Kaye film for a long time except for White Christmas. You've persuaded me that I should just to check out if I agree that he has dated badly. I thought he was fine in White Christmas.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce

The Court Jester remains one of the funniest movies ever made. You find it over the top and derivative and your embarrassed for him? I'm embarrassed by your post :) There's no secret about The Court Jester and Roman Scandals - first of all, very different time periods and plot - but yes the gag you refer to had its beginnings in that film - why is that, do you suppose? Do you think Mr. Kaye wrote Roman Scandals OR The Court Jester? No. Both films were written by Panama and Frank - they just stole their own joke but made it a hundred times funnier in The Court Jester. Danny Kaye was a performer, not a writer, yet you're blaming HIM for you thinking The Court Jester is derivative. I don't get it.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
(I am ignoring your personal attack). It is the performance I find rather embarrassing. His Silvia Fine Kaye tangents are just too much for me now. I might also note that as a child I was also a great fan of Jerry Lewis.

It is all a matter of taste obviously. I mentioned Eddie Cantor whom I still find hilarious. Perhaps I am more of a 1930’s person than 1940’s or 1950’s.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I don't care as much for Danny Kaye's work as I used to (even less for Jerry Lewis) it varies from film to film, but I'm not embarrassed for them. Both were monster performers in their time and very successful. Times and tastes change. Some movies I liked when I was younger I no longer care for and others I didn't like have now become favorites. Tomorrow I might change my mind again. I can not care for a performer or film yet still understand the talent.

I also think there are different lids for different pots and I have no problem if others disagree with films or performers I like or dislike. It's all good guys. Enjoy your favorites. Cheers.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Artistry comes in many forms, folks. Not every artist is meant to appeal to everyone. But Kaye was such a titanic model of influence on generations yet to follow him that his efforts - however dated they may appear to certain jaundiced views - cannot and should not be discounted or ignored.

Personally, I have always taken a sincere pleasure out of watching him in Wonder Man (1945) in which Kaye plays twin brothers; one, an extroverted nightclub performer, offed by gangland mafia types for knowing too much, and the other, his bookish counterpoint, who inherits his brother's ghost to solve the crime, much to his own hilarious detriment. Best line in that movie comes not from Kaye but supporting player, S.Z. Sakall (one of cinema's true gems - 'shooosh!').

Informed by co-star, Virginia Mayo that Kaye's character has yet to return home after thoroughly flubbing one of his chances to buy potato salad from a nearby delicatessen, the proprietor (Sakall), in his inimitable thick Hungarian accent and broken English adds, "Y-you mean he didn't come back? Con-congratulations...you don't know how lucky you are!"

Classic stuff. A-wacka-wacka-zoing-zoing, to those who know what I'm talking about.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
(I am ignoring your personal attack). It is the performance I find rather embarrassing. His Silvia Fine Kaye tangents are just too much for me now. I might also note that as a child I was also a great fan of Jerry Lewis.

It is all a matter of taste obviously. I mentioned Eddie Cantor whom I still find hilarious. Perhaps I am more of a 1930’s person than 1940’s or 1950’s.

Personal attack? Seriously?

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Just listened to the Original Cast CD of Jerry Herman's charming THE GRAND TOUR,
which led me to wondering about Danny Kaye's all but forgotten ME AND THE COLONEL.
I see it's only mentioned once here. Why hasn't this been released in a decent DVD?

nara

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hugh
this place needs some Danny NOW!! this scene just kills me!! I love it almost like i love my mom.

One man's meat etc...

I'm in my eighth decade now and I loved Danny Kaye films when I was a child. I've gotta say that I found that embarrassingly unfunny now. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks