1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Daniel Boone Season 6 Coming from Shout 12/19/17

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Darby67, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
  2. Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    Thanks Sean for the news...great to have it completed by Shout...even as I read this post, I hear the theme song playing in my head, as usual...what a pleasant earworm, although I can't explain why...just part of a much loved childhood fave, I guess...I have even unknowingly sung it out loud on occasion, and in public...and in broad daylight, ha, ha...

Jeff Flugel and Darby67 like this.
  3. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    This set is finally listed at WalMart with a current price of $18.02 with free 2-day shipping! That beats the current Amazon price of $19.99 by almost $2 making WM the current winner. Plus you don't have to have Prime or other special account or hit a minimum $$ amount to get free shipping from WM on this item.

I discovered, quite by accident, that WM now appears to offer a pre-order price guarantee. The last season dropped in price from the day I ordered and I got the lowest advertised price when it shipped. Of course they also offer in-store returns with a 90 day window (that may be longer since it doesn't ship until mid-December) which makes it even more attractive.

I have a pre-order from Amazon (only because they listed it first) but am seriously considering going with WM instead - or just do both and keep the one that hits the lowest price point before release day.

Jeff Flugel and Darby67 like this.
  4. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    @BobO'Link, or anyone else with the set, I have a question. Has the soundtrack been done in a fake stereo like record companies used to do with albums in the old days? I've been watching YouTube uploads of the show and it seems the majority of them are false stereo, at least the theme song.

Tony Bensley and Darby67 like this.
  5. Message #5 of 12 Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    The soundtracks were remixed into 5.1 for the original DVD releases, but only 2.0 stereo for the re-releases. While the dialog has been kept (mostly) to the center channel, music and effects have been expanded via “pseudo” stereo methods.
    Oh, and I should also mention that they actually added some new foley effects to sweeten the remixes. Purists will consider that to be an abomination.

6. Message #6 of 12 Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I've not yet opened the set but on the back is this:

"English Dolby digital mono"

That same blurb is on the back of all 6 seasons from Shout.

**EDIT**
    I opened my S2 set, started episode 1, and placed myself squarely between the speakers. The audio is absolutely mono. No fake stereo. That includes the theme song. Since S2 is presented in mono, as the blurb on the back of the case states, I can see no reason the rest are not also properly in mono since they, too, state this on the back of the case.

**EDIT #2**
    Since I also own copies of this series in the original Liberation release I got S2 of that set out and played the same episode. The 5.1 mix sounds louder and absolutely has some separation. The English stereo track is less pronounced but still has some stereo presence. The Spanish stereo track has almost the same sound as does the 5.1 mix and is a bit wider than the English stereo mix. All three of those sound different than the mono mix on the Shout release.

It's possible the Fox set uses those 2.0 channel "stereo" mixes but I've not seen the back of that case nor have copies of that one to check.

If the Shout release has any added foley effects they're inconsequential and, at least to me, so far unnoticeable.

As I stated about S1, the video looks to be identical to the Liberation S2 set although with a slightly higher bit rate. It looks fairly good at a normal viewing distance but don't get too close or you'll see anomalies.

Darby67 likes this.
  7. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    The ones on YouTube are fake stereo. I keep my home theater set to 5.1 Dolby Pro-Logic, so I don't have any way (that I know of) of setting it to mono. I kept noticing a response from all 5 speakers when it should be center only.

Darby67 likes this.
  8. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Well, I can’t speak to Shout’s season 2 since I have the original seasons 1-3 from Goldhill Media which are 5.1. But I do have Shout’s season 4 which is definitely stereo enhanced. I haven’t had a chance to pick up seasons 5-6 yet.

Flashgear and Darby67 like this.
  9. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    My setup is stereo only. I very much dislike surround sound and prefer my audio to come from where the image originates.

Do you have any of the Shout seasons? If so, play one. If what I'm hearing is accurate, it should come from the center only.

Darby67 likes this.
  10. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Interesting. The information display on my player shows the audio is "Dolby Digital Stereo" but there are absolutely no stereo effects or separation of any kind that I can hear. It's absolutely dead center.

I'd pull my S4 set to check it but I don't know where I've put it in the unwatched stacks (I really need to organize a bit). I actually looked for it for about a half hour earlier tonight when I discovered it, and S5, were not with S2, S3, and S6. It's here... somewhere...

11. Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris Screenwriter

The last time that happened to me was when I bought the new Arrow Blu-Ray release of Ronin - and then could not find (for several days) the previous releases of Ronin I already owned. And this, despite my efforts to stay organized (which in this case, failed.)

Flashgear and Darby67 like this.
  12. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

This is what, the third time the show is being released? Good grief.