What's new

Daisy chaining subs good idea? (1 Viewer)

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor

Wayne, right now I just can't do it. You see I believe that my system sounds pretty good and if I check it and the results come back bad then I will know the truth. At that point there is no going back. I can't say "Oh well it sounds good to me" because I will know that it sounds like garbage. I would LLLooovvvveeee to try one of these sound test out on my system but since I have no money right now to upgrade I'm scared to death of the results.

**I have seen the stuff people have did, bought, built, and installed on this site to realize that upgradious will kill you or cause you to go bankrupt. Haha!

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
THe sound quality of the Dali is much greater than the Sony. I wouldn't run them together. Sell the Sony and use the money to buy a Beringer Feedback Destroyer to correct for your room and get the most out of the Dali.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Arthur,
I hear ya on the money thing! :) I haven’t made any major upgrades to my system in 7-8 years. :frowning:

Still, the BFD and REW set up is pretty cheap, so keep it in mind. It’s the best (and cheapest) tweak you’ll ever do to your system.

Steve,

How much you’ll benefit from two subs really depends on the size of your room. If it’s really large – say, 6000 cu. ft. or more (including any other rooms open to the HT system), then you can probably benefit from a second 12” sub. With the right placement (in relation to the other one) it’ll allow you to get additional extension and SPL and have enough headroom left over to generate the low frequency dynamics many action movies have. A single 12” sub in a large room can often get the extension and high SPL, but won’t have enough headroom left for the dynamics.

The other reason for a second sub, even if you don’t have a large room, is to get the perceived “wall of bass” output that Matt and Arthur were talking about. However, I think that typically works best if they’re both up front. I tried measuring two subs in several separated placement schemes in a symmetrical room once, and if I recall, the catty-cornered arrangement got some of the worst results. You’ll really want to measure your response before you settle on that placement.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Steve>JF

Agent
Thanks, Wayne. Can I use a Rat Shack SPL meter and a test tones to check this? I'm thinking of either buying the Velos (DLS-4000R) and trying it while measuring and taking one back if it isn't beneficial. Where can I get test tones to do this? Does the DVE disc have them?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Steve,

Yes, you can use the meter and test tones. I'm pretty sure DVE doesn't have them, but you can download some sine wave tones at Sonnie Parker’s BFD Guide. I suggest at least 1/6 octave resolution – you can find Sonnie’s chart on the Guide to find out what those frequencies are. Lacking REW, you can plot them manually on graph paper, or the Excel worksheet the Guide has.

By the way, that soundcard – it’s a Creative Sound Blaster MP3+. 

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks