What's new

DA777ES vs. DA4ES (1 Viewer)

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
After doing some research on both models here, it looks like technically, the Sony STR-DA777ES, despite being an older model, is still in many ways superior to even their newest models, such as the DA4ES. The 4ES is 7.1, I believe the 777ES is "only" 5.1. However, I believe that 5.1 is all I'll be doing for the near future...even so, I had hoped to just buy one receiver and have it last me for 10 years or more. Still, I see on Crutchfield there's an upgrade kit for the 777ES that upgrades it to 6.1 (it includes a CD-ROM, serial cable to connect to a computer, and new remote), so at least that's something, although at $130 it ain't cheap. But how would that even work, anyway? I mean you can't use a CD-ROM to add a whole other amplifier channel to a receiver...

At around $800 for a new-in-box unit for a 777ES, vs. $640 for a brand new 4ES, which makes the most sense? The rest of the system won't be particularly high-end, at least to start. I'll probably be looking for a complete 5.1 speaker system for $1000 or less, for example, to get me started. I was all set to go with the 4ES, but upon seeing the 777ES offered new at this price, even though it's more than I really want to spend, I'm wondering if it will be so much positively better than the 4ES that I shouldn't pass it up?

JackS

Supporting Actor
Justin- As an owner of the 777 with the upgrade you speak of, the upgrade doesn't convert the 777 to a six channel receiver. The 6.1 is virtual therefor, no rear center speaker need be in place. Worthwhile to many, to me it's mainly a gimmick. Your question asto weather you should prefer this purchase over the DA4 can only be answered by you. If you asked my opinion , I would urge you to go for the 777 especially if your plans are for a 5.1 system for the forseeable future. Receivers come and go, but the 777 continues to be considered a "one of a kind". BTW, if it's not too secret, where did you find them NIB?

JackS

Supporting Actor
Justin- After posting the above response I realized I should have mentioned that the upgrade did repair a few glitches that many 777es owners had. Weather your interested in virtual 6.1 or not, the upgrade is a worthwhile addition if you run into one of these maladies.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Justin,
I too am also curious where you found the 777ES New In Box. I have one sitting to my left connected to my PC system. I have a friend who has wanted one for a while, but did not want to buy it used.
The information would be appreciated.
Charles
Here are 2 forums on the 777ES that might be of interest if you are not aware of their URL's
Link Removed
http://www.cronus.spaceports.com/~mo...STRDA777ES.htm

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
Sorry, I just realized I was mistaken on the NIB part. It's not new. It is being sold by the original owner, however, with original box/packaging and everything that came with it. If you go to your first link, there's a thread near the top called "Mint Condition STR-DA777ES For Sale", and the guy indicates where he's going to sell it if nobody buys it there. Looks like nobody bit. ;)
I was giving a small amount of consideration to this unit while under the impression it was new. I'm in the middle of trying to buy something else (not a receiver) from someone else, though, and would have had to wait for the outcome of that before knowing if I would have the money to spare on the 777ES. But now that I realize it's not new, I believe I've read that one can find used ones for less than $800, so I'm not worried about this one anymore.
I'll probably end up going with the DA4ES. The 777ES may be superior in some--maybe many--ways...but...well, we'll see. If the right 777ES is available at the right time for the right price, I may still go that way. But I've been looking forward to the new-box experience, which I probably won't be able to get with a 777ES for a price I can reach. :)

JackS

Supporting Actor
Justin- A modern DA4 with all its features and full 5yr. warranty versus a used 777 at approxamatly the same price is a choice I think most everyone would make. If you buy the DA4, have no regrets. The DA4 has features that us 777 owners can only wish we had. Good luck, Jack

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Even though this DA4 is unknown to me and the 777ES is a classic Sony receiver, I would agree with Jack.

I'm sure the DA4 has much newer technology and will have all the buzz's and bells of current receiver functions and sound fields.

Purely from a sonic perspective, I have no clue, but I would hope it's on the same level or better then the STR-DA777ES.

However, if you can find a GREAT price on the older model Sony, it might be something to consider. I paid $1K for mine I think 2 years ago, so the price of $800 on that site seems a bit high to me. Even in mint condition, you don't know how many hours are on the receiver. Just my .02

Mark Davenport

Stunt Coordinator
You can have the best of both worlds. I have an older V444es but have it hooked up to a TAN-9000es 5.1 channel amp. The TAN-9000 has the same amp section of the 777es.

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
Sony has STILL not made anything equal to the 777ES or the TA9000 seperates. As a matter of fact, the 777 was killing the seperates at it's original $1,500 price tag. Sony quickly discontinued it. They didn't submit any of them to the typical review mags either. SO not like Sony! It is considered one of the finest sounding integrated Receivers ever made at that price. I have one, and it is one fine unit. I also have a Yamaha RX-V1, a fine unit in it's own right. I WAS going to sell my 777, until I did a side by side. The DA4 that I took home to "try", couldn't hold the 777's lunch pail! GRANTED, it has all the new bells & whistles. For 5.1 and music, the 777 will still dominate most others at that pricepoint. Sony really hit the mark on it, actually making it TOO GOOD. There are some negatives, which are posted on the above sites. The firmware upgrade is a 5 minute process that anyone can do for free. It does run warm, & that's an understatement! The DA4ES is the best Receiver that Sony has offered since the 777 for the $ IMHO.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Justin,
I would consider the DA4 and adding a separate amplifier later on. According to a Sony engineer the latest ES receiver's (DA4 on up) have Sony's best DD/DTS/DSP firmware implementation to date and the power supplies aren't that bad.

Personally, I think you would be hard pressed to say that the 777es or 9000es separates combo is significantly better than a DA4ES paired with a separate amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks