What's new

CUT! A discussion of films with different cuts on blu-ray... (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
At the time the extended version came out on disc, 3D was still new to home viewers and wasn’t widely adopted. I believe that Panasonic had also paid some big bucks to have the 3D disc version of Avatar as a hardware exclusive to their brand for a period of several years, which meant that Fox couldn’t put out a general release at that time.

By the time that the period of exclusivity ended and the original theatrical version was released on 3D disc to the general public, the writing was on the wall that 3D wasn’t selling as hoped. Fox may have seen little point in putting it out in that market. I don’t think they’ve ever given an official reason.

I cannot imagine that Cameron's three sequels to AVATAR won't at least be shown in 3-D in theaters. We may have to go to Europe for Blu-ray 3-D.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I cannot imagine that Cameron's three sequels to AVATAR won't at least be shown in 3-D in theaters. We may have to go to Europe for Blu-ray 3-D.

100% that they’ll be in 3D theatrically. There just may not have been a market for a physical disc of the extended version in 3D by time that Fox was contractually free of their Panasonic obligation. I have to believe if the general release 3D disc had sold well that Fox would have had no issue with double dipping. But by the time they put out the theatrical version in 3D, that was the third different physical media release of Avatar. The market for that title might have just been exhausted.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks