What's new

Custom LOTR Cover Art (1 Viewer)

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the preview cover, coz that's what I'll use for my CELLUCAM DVD Edition.

LOL

Great shot of ROTK. Is that the highest quality u got?

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Hey there!

If anyone is interested, I just updated my website with a new cover set for all three Extended Editions of the films. Granted RotK isn't quite finished, cuz I don't have the specs and it ain't comin out for a year, but the other two looked lonely without it! They are based on the Teaser poster art that I had been using for the theatrical versions.

To view bigger images or download hi-res versions just click here.

Ric

Albert Oh

Stunt Coordinator
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

PLEASE make 6 disc versions of these covers! Also, are the spines different colors because in the little picture you have of the 3 lined up next to each other, FOTR has a green spine, TTT has a red spine and ROTK has a blue spine and I think they look fantastic. Did I forget to mention, PLEASE make 6 disc versions! Uh, please?

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Yes the spines are different colors. But you got it a little backwards. I made TTT blue and RotK reddish. I just thought they better reflected the rest of the covers and the movies that way.

I'll think about doing six disc versions for the EE's and Theatricals combined, but it will take a little work, so they won't be for awhile. I'll have to redo the dwarven runes to fit a fatter case and get rid of the special features listing and go to the cast credits. I'd never be able to fit the special features from both versions on the back. Anyway, I wouldn't look for them before a month or so.

Ric

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I hope after ROTK comes out on DVD, you do an all-inclusive cover for the theatrical editions. I'd love to have something you made to put in a 6disc amaray and have them all together.

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
I also with the color, I always saw TTT being blue because of Helm's Deep.

Btw, the ROTK and TTT looks alike a bit. Are there some other landmark in ROTK? Maybe a shot of Minas Tirith?

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
The idea was to use the "Teaser" artwork. And althought that ROTK art was not used in a poster, I believe that was it's original intention.

Anyway, I probably won't be messing with it again until the official release.

Ric

Albert Oh

Stunt Coordinator
I'll think about doing six disc versions for the EE's and Theatricals combined, but it will take a little work, so they won't be for awhile. I'll have to redo the dwarven runes to fit a fatter case and get rid of the special features listing and go to the cast credits. I'd never be able to fit the special features from both versions on the back. Anyway, I wouldn't look for them before a month or so.
I see what you mean. In order to fit the special features, you'd have to extend the parchment. That would probably mean losing the gorgeous color shot on the back. I'd prefer to have the special features listed rather than the cast credits, but I also think the way the covers look now is perfect. Aw, crap. Now I'm not sure what I want. :angry: Thanks. ;)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Finally came up with covers for combined versions of the films (theatrical cuts and EE's).

They are desgned to fit around a six or seven disc Alpha, depending on whether or not you have the bonus discs that came with the gift sets...

You can view bigger versions or download the covers at my site.

Ric

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Those are GREAT. And I've been waiting for you to do a 6 or 7 disc cover for the people with EE's and TE's.

I think I'll finally go digging for the TE's and get me some 6 disc cases. Those will look GREAT on my shelf.

Dave Corder

Stunt Coordinator
WOW!!!

:jawd rop:

I already have your other 6/7 disc combined covers (with the Alan Lee art) sitting on my DVD shelf. And I didn't think I'd ever see covers better than those. I guess I was wrong. These are spectacular.

I'm tempted to print out all your LOTR DVD covers and put them around empty cases on my shelf. I probably would, too, except that: (a) not enough space and (b) people look at me funny for my DVD collection anyway--I don't need to give them another reason to do so. :)

Awesome work.

Dave Corder

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm just wondering what kind of paper and printers you all are using to print these covers. Amazing work Ric!

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys!

Dave, I'm glad you liked the Alan Lee covers. As you can see, I featured his Battle of Helm's Deep on the back of the new Two Towers.

Cameron, ideally you would use legal size glossy photo paper with a good ink jet printer. But that kind of paper is nearly impossible to get. A solution that I have found is to get some 13" x 19 " photo paper. I use Epson's glossy Super A3. Cut each sheet into two 8½ x 13 sheets. While you end up with a sheet that's one inch shorter than legal size, the covers should still fit when printed up. Though you may have to justify the image to the left in printer set-up. And don't forget to put in in Horizontal mode. It's always best to do a test sheet with cheap legal paper set on draft mode to make sure you have everything lining up correctly.

Y'know, I really do love those EE cases, and these are obviously inspired by them. I just wanted something special that featured the Teaser posters that I also loved so much. Though it also would have been nice to see that ROTK shot as a teaser poster!

It sure seems like its gonna be a long wait until I can fill up that last case!

Ric

Kami

Screenwriter
Awesome covers, Ric! Very classy looking. Those 6/7 discers would be good if you want to keep the original EE packaging in pristine condition as it can get worn down very easily (especially how much I open and close it! ;) ).

One thing though...if you were trying to keep the colors the same as the original package you got the red/blue reversed for TTT and ROTK.

Again, awesome. :emoji_thumbsup:

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
I think he said earlier he wasn't trying to keep the colors the same. Which I think is cool--I actually like his color scheme better than the official one.

Sten F

Second Unit
Stunning work, Rick Easton! You should be selling these from you website. I´m sure a lot of people would buy them.

How about making some cool covers for the Star Wars Trilogi as well. I´m sure you can do better than the offcial one just announced.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
You should be selling these from you website. I´m sure a lot of people would buy them.
And I'm afraid that would put a stop to the rest of it. After all, these are copyrighted images from the studios and artists and I have no business making money off of their work. So, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with improving my Photoshop skills and sharing the stuff that I like.

As for the colors.... Yes I thought TTT was a much "bluer" movie and ROTK with the whole Mount Doom thing is definately red!

Ric

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ric, where do you find 13x19 glossy paper? My local "usual suspects" (i.e. Best Buy, Office depot) don't carry them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks