What's new

Curtis Mathis TV, Will it do the squeeze? (1 Viewer)

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Belated apologies to Sean for thread hijack.
wink.gif

Lee,
I put in one of the kids DVDs that's full screen and left the player in 16:9 mode. As long as the player was in normal mode, I got the correct image. But if the player was in Auto mode, the picture came up with tall, skinny images.
4:3 aspect choices in my player are (I presume this is standard with other players?):
Normal
Auto
Shrink
Zoom
At this point I just hit buttons until I get what I want onscreen. It ain't pretty, but it works.
wink.gif

------------------
--RR

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I was at Super K-Mart today, and they had this TV there, so I decided to check if it does the squeeze on the AV-inputs. I switched to the AV1 input, went into the picture menu and changed the format to "Widescreen", and the picture did indeed get squeezed. There was nothing connected to this input at the time, however the menu itself got squeezed.
In the antenna mode, I checked that the picture got squeezed, and not merely chopped off at the top and bottom (whataver that would be good for), and it was squeezed, not chopped off.
I realized afterwards I should have checked if it did this on the S-Video input too, but I'm sure it does, if it does it on the AV and the antenna inputs.
Whether the picture quality on this $400 TV otherwise is worth it, I don't know. But at least it's nice to see a $400 non-progressive TV that has a 16:9 mode. Since this is standard in Europe, I was wondering if this is a TV made for the European market, but somewhow found its way into Super K-Mart? I might go ahead and buy it, I'm looking for a cheap 32" TV...
/Mike
------------------

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Belated apologies to Sean for thread hijack
Thats ok Rick i'm a known thread hijacker myself :)
Micke, I havent had a chance to make it back to K-Mart, I had to work. It sounds like we've found a $400 32" TV that does the squeeze trick, and at K-Mart nonetheless!
I wish I had the $400 right now I'd probably get it, I wish it had component though. But hey still a bargain at $400!
------------------
Sean
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

brian a

Second Unit
The Curtis Mathes's www site says that this TV does have component inputs. Can anyone confirm this? Did anyone ever buy one of these? It sounds like a great set for the bedroom.

brianca...

Bill Will

Screenwriter
From what I understand Samsung makes this set. If you go to audio review, I think it's under a 32" cheaper Samsung set a reviewer says that Samsung models from 20" to 36" will do the squeeze trick from the regular tv menu but it's not listed on Samsung's website as a feature but they do list a feature called "ZOOM" which I guess expands a wide-screen picture to fill the 4:3 tube? What a bad idea that is, but I guess you can't complain about "Tube Burn In" with that feature :)

brian a

Second Unit
The Cutris Mathes site shows the option to do the squeeze from the menu. Maybe it's not the Samsung.

brianca.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
My guess is that if the Curtis set does it than so will the Samsung's. I doubt that Samsung would just include it for the C/M sets & Samsung is making the C/M set. If you want to be sure give Samsung a call at 1-800-SAMSUNG but aks for Tech support unless you happen upon a knowlegeable person.:)

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Will it do the squeeze? Yes.
Went to K-Mart tonight in response to this post and saw a 32" Curtis Mathes selling for USD 430. and played with its controls. Not sure whether the model was the same one mentioned here.
Picture size normal mode is filled screen 4:3 for ordinary broadcasts, and non-anamorphic DVD's.
Wide mode is the genuine 16:9 mode squeeze for anamorphic DVD's.
Zoom mode stretches the picture vertically but not horizontally, I think it is only for neophytes who want to make a non-anamorphic letterbox movie occupy more screen area even though everything becomes tall and thin.
The TV had terrible dot crawl when receiving broadcasts via its own tuner, I suppose it has a mediocre comb filter.
According to the manual the TV had two composite inputs and one S-video input in back, and one composite video input in front. But the instructions said that only two things can be connected so I would not be surprised if the S-video jack immobilizes one of the composite jacks. I didn't actually look at the back of the TV and the manual made no mention of component inputs.
As far as "squeezing anamorphic" goes, the TV doesn't know or care whether the picture is 16:9, it is up to you to manually select the mode that looks best. With this TV you should leave your DVD player in 16:9 and make the selection at the TV.
About other brand 4:3 TV's with automatic aspect ratio selection, to prove it is in 16:9 mode, do this: Play an anamorphic DVD. Turn down the contrast to about 10%. Turn up the brightness. If the entire black bars turn gray and scan lines can be seen in them, the TV is still in 4:3 mode or in a fake 16:9 mode that is no better.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Checked audio review for the report on the Samsung & din't find it. I must have read it somewhere else. I would still check with Samsung on the squeeze trick & the Samsung's have component video inputs. Last years Samsung models did not have component video inputs & I'll bet they just used last years model Samsung for the C/M & added the new chip for the menu. I've seen the 32" Samsung advertised for $449 & I understand that it can be had for around $420 Sounds about right if they wanted $399 for the C/M 32" on sale at K-Mart. I'd go after the Samsung just because it has component video inputs well worth the extra few $$ Also what was the audio watts on the C/M? The Samsung is 15 watts(7 1/2 watts a ch)Maybe the C/M is only 10 watts with the amp from Samsung's 27" sets? That's the kind of tricks they like to play to make an odd ball set for a discount chain. Who owns the Curtis / Mathes name now? Is it still C/M or did Samsung or someone else buy up the name?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks for making me aware of this TV! :)
This may be the best choice for a new (cheap) TV for the time being. You can also get the specs from the Curtis Mathes website, and get the user's manual via this link:
http://www.curtismathes.com/pdf/cm32010.pdf
Now to see if my local Big-K has them.
And to see if my savings account can bear the burden...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks