What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

CURSED -- rating, reviews, comments (1 Viewer)

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
This is probably the hardest PG-13 film I've ever seen. Actually, I'm trying to figure out if they somehow screened the original R-rated cut tonight. It's reasonably gory--not terribly, but enough to be creative. And isn't there a limit on the amount of non-sexual f-words a PG-13 lets you use? CURSED has about 10 just in the last half-hour. Maybe this means it wasn't trimmed too fatally. Still, very curious.

And for anyone wondering, the movie is entertaining enough, but just mildly ok.

Colton

Supporting Actor
My wife and I are going to the special advance screening of "Cursed" tonight. She HATES scary movies, but I bribed her with a promise I would take her out to a nice dinner. She chose Hooters for their delicious buffalo wings - so, it's a win-win situation for me. :) There is nothing like taking someone who is deathly afraid of scary movies to sit beside you in the theater! Muuhahahahahahahaaa! :D

- Colton

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I should be seeing it this weekend. At least if the movie is even remotely good (which I have a hard time believing after all the studio cuts and re-filming...) I'm sure the eventual DVD release might be good.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Hmmm, I was curious to see this, but didn't realize it was PG-13. I guess I'll skip it.

I'm skipping all PG-13 horror in the theaters. Studios shouldn't do horror unless there commited to a hard -R. All these stories about films shooting as R and getting cut to a PG-13 is getting depressing:frowning:

Travis W.

Second Unit
I watched this last night and in most scenes it's painfully obvious where cuts were made to get a PG-13. However the stuff that was kept does push the rating. An R rating wouldn't have done much better, it just wasn't that good of a film.

Colton

Supporting Actor
Saw it last night. Mixed thoughts about this movie - it was like the writers couldn't decide if they wanted a true horror movie or a camp-comedy. I went to this movie expecting non-stop horror, but it started getting kooky and that's when I lost interest. I wish the studios could decide who their target audience is before they release their films. No where on the posters or trailers does it suggest that "Cursed" is going to be a horror/comedy. Also, the CGI effects were the worst I've ever seen!

:thumbsdown:

- Colton

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
Interesting. Thanks guys. I'm becoming convinced I saw the R-rated cut. I'll know for sure once more people see it and the screenit.com review comes out.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
The PG-13 Cursed (which I saw this morning) has very little on-screen violence and bad language to speak of. However, it's still a pretty hard PG-13 rated film for the fact that the MPAA let Dimension show the bloody aftermath of a few characters instead of their actual death scenes. I guess showing a head seperated in a bloody mess from the body is okay for PG-13 whereas showing the actual beheading is not okay.

Cursed is a terrible film, but it has a cheese factor that previous awful horror films this year like White Noise, Boogeyman, and Constantine lacked. It might be an awful film, but at least I can sit through it unlike the former three.

Dave Hackman

Stunt Coordinator
Brother and sister find themselves slowly developing a strange propensity for raw meat and a burning intolerance of silver.

Goofy 90210-werewolf flick that does just enough to keep you awake until the end. This is certainly not an asset to the horror genre with its child like story that seems happier being silly and absurd then bone chilling frightening. Definitely not worth a trip to the theater but if dragged by friends you should be ok for it has a unique ability to entertain.

Things that I could have done without were an appearance by Scott Baio, a car crash that occurs on Mulholland drive, a gay werewolf groupie and some silly computer animated effects that looked really bad.

I liked the loud music soundtrack, good use of surround speakers to enhance the terror and the non-serious approach of story telling.

C-

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised. After all the waiting and expectations of failure I wasn't too displeased. It was obviously very tame (I'm anxious to see the R-Rated cut) and some elements felt tacked on (probably due to the re-filming of many scenes) but the film actually worked in most places. I just pray that Dimension Films gives Craven the creative freedom to release something close to the original idea...

And also, the original Werewolf effects (before the horrid CGI replaced ones were inserted) looked great. Keeping the werewolves out of sight worked great at the beginning. Having them exposed revealed some pretty horrible effects.

The werewolf middle finger scene was just too campy for words... very out of place. Still, not a total failure though, definitely better than a few recent crapfest horror films I've seen.

**1/2 (****)

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Well, it came in #4 with 9.6 million. The genius behind cutting it from R to PG-13 lost that gamble.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Apparently the original version had Mandy Moore being killed at the beginning. Christina Ricci hitting Skeet Ulrich's car, and Jimmy happening on the scene (they weren't brother and sister originally). The three of them are attacked by a werewolf and thus must band together to find the original wolf that infected them.

I gotta say I would have liked the original idea a lot more. It seemed more natural and interesting. I'm sure Kevin Williamson and Wes Craven are a little disillusioned with Dimension Films as of now...

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
On of the things that got me though is

When they kill the "lead wolf" they are cured. I thought that was vampires?? Werewolves have no cure and can't revert back to human.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
In response to Shawn...

Werewolves and vampires aren't real, therefore rules to the creatures do need not apply. A writer can create any backstory or mythology involving a creature. Just look at the television show Buffy for an example of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks