What's new

CSI: Crime Scene Investigation Season 9 (mild early season spoilers) (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I didn't know any of this Nicholas, thanks for the info. I knew Naren Shankar had written on Star Trek TNG too. I looked it up, looks like the show will feature more of Hodges and Wendy and their geeky side in this episode.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
That means about halfway through this episode the story will completely go off the rails and lose direction.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I've seen the promos for tonights CSI a few more times and I still think it looks like a Star Trek like show that Hodges and Wendy are at. Not Galactica. But I'll see shortly!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
And now we know that the show was basically the original Star Trek, which the victim was trying to turn into the new Battlestar Galactica. I'm scoring this one as a tie. :D

I just loved everything about this episode, Hodges flip-phone and "He's dead, Jim" to Wendy decoding Hodges' declarartion of love in the alien language. (She apparently has an excellent, maybe even eidetic, memory.) On Babylon 5 Ranger Marcus Cole once told Cmdr. Susan Ivanova that she was beautiful in Minbari, a language she didn't speak. But she did have an eidetic memory, and months later she studied Minbari and found out what he had said.

The Hodges fantasy sequences were great.

And, of course, there was the wonder of Wendy, finally out of those lab outfits.

Regards,

Joe

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Ron Moore's cameo was very brief:

In an ironic move considering who he is, he was the bearded guy to first yell "YOU SUCK!" after that redux was shown.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

mylan

Screenwriter

Joe, I am not even that much of a trekkie but I absolutely loved this episode as well for all of the reasons you mentioned and more, the murder was second the Hodges/Wendy story, and damn, Wendy out of her labcoat......
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That was very sweet how they ending it with Wendy figuring out Hodges' message.

I liked the line about wearing the tin foil bikini.

I agree, it was perfect use of Ron Moore declaring the redux sucked! Did anyone else notice that Grace Park was one of the convention goers as the camera panned around the group watching the redux?

They really nailed a lot of Star Trek's most known episodes. Having Wendy as the Orion Slave girl and as Angelique Pettyjohn's Shahna was pretty well done! It will be interesting to see where this goes between Wendy and Hodges. It was funny how everyone in the lab knew too.

edit: I forgot to add, there was a great line from Archie, where he says: "People don't like it when they mess with their heros." I thought that so apt for the new Star Trek about to come out and the huge split now of some of the fans who aren't happy with JJ Abrams changes as well as the fan outcry when Moore's Battlestar Galactica Redux came out.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Not much to add. This was one of the most enjoyable episodes of the series. And Hodges, I admire the dedication to the lab, but don't be an idiot...

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

There a lot of the jokes and sight gags that only genre fans would understand. I wonder how this ep went over with the average CSI fan. Seeing Kate Vernon was nice too but when I caught a glimpse of Grace Park, my jaw dropped and I actually applauded the TV set.

The only thing that upset me was the fact that the "He's dead Jim" line was spoiled by the show's promos.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member

While this episode certainly focused on Hodges and Wendy, I thought it had a lot of the usual CSI type of conventions. They showed the extreme side of the world they entered into while investigating the murder, like they did recently with the boxing show and the show where people dressed up like animals. They still did all the proper stuff to investigate the evidence, the body and the crime scene.

The Walter Mitty bits with Hodges was definitely going off into new territory. I was surprised how directly they recreate, but with a different twist, iconic scenes from Trek, including the collar of obedience. Nice to see Hodges and Wendy's knowledge of the show help solve the crime.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
To continue with the list of favorite things from the episode begun in various replies above:

1. David in the morgue riffing on McCoy's Occupational Disclaimers (tm)

2. The argument about what is and isn't SF.

3. The generation gap between those who remember the old series with
affection and those born long after it was off the air.

4. "You suck!"

5. Assorted "BSG" cast members involved (some uncredited in crowd
shots.)

6. The great job replicating the Playskool uniforms, the Bill Theiss women's costumes, the cheap sets and the laughable fight moves.

7. Hodges' bad wig.

Later,

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

That, of course, is Hodges' excuse, and to some degree his illusion. He likes to think of himself as monk-like and dedicated (in what he thought was the Grissom mode), but the fact is, he's terrified of women in general, and Wendy in particular. (In fairness, I think a lot of us would be intimidated by a woman that good-looking.)

Regards,

Joe

Joe S

Second Unit
I haven't been watching CSI regularly lately, but when I saw the program listing I set my DVR to record it. It was enjoyable for Trek/SF fans. Does anyone else remember that Liz Vassy appeared as a crewman in an episode of ST:TNG?

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

When she joined the show for season 4, that was when I grew to dislike the show and it turned into a huge chore to watch. She didn't ruin the show, it was just coincidence that she showed up as I got sick of it. The whole supposed allure of her being there did piss me off because it was such a pathetic stunt for the show to pull, but I do credit them for making the character interesting.
I didn't (and still don't) care about the idea of "sex appeal" on the shows I watch. The negative side effect of her showing up (for me) is that I now completely hate the Borg as villains, except for in "First Contact". Whenever a Borg episode of Voyager showed up, I hated it every time.

By the way, in case those interested in the upcoming Blu-ray release of season 1 missed it:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/CSI...1-Bluray/11717

FULL disc-by-disc breakdown.

High price, but I'm sure it won't actually be that high when it hits store shelves.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Now I'm glad that Blu Ray owners are going to have a chance to own the series in the best available quality, but disappointed that they're the only ones who will be able to own the series in widescreen, or have access to the new extras. (I'd especially like to see the original cut of the pilot, hear the commentaries and see the retrospective documentary.)

The vast majority of potentional buyers for an improved S1 set don't own Blu Ray players, and in this economy many of them probably have no plans to upgrade.

Anyway, I sent the following e-mail to Paramount, and I urge anyone else who would like an SD-DVD version of this new and improved S1 set to let them know how you feel as well:

Regards,

Joe

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't afford my PS3 when I got it, but I said to myself 'I have no one to get me so much as a birthday card, so screw it....I'll regret the decision later'.

Truth be told, the chances of my buying that CSI set are extremely slim, because I couldn't begin to afford it or anything else now. Even if they released a DVD counterpart (haven't picked up Bones Season 3 yet because it's still $60) I couldn't afford it.

I wholeheartedly support the email idea and will do the same.
For some reason it seems that a lot of Blu-ray owners turn into elitists who seem to spit on DVD. I assure you I am not one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks