What's new

CSI: Crime Scene Investigation Season 9 (mild early season spoilers) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I just got a chance to see this week's episode and thought it was a lot of fun (like most episodes centering on the lab folks). Hodges' goofy fantasies were a good time and I loved Wendy's outfits. ;)

Ron Moore's cameo was hilarious. And I thought that was Grace Park in the crowd but wasn't sure.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I came across this article about the CSI episode, A Space Oddity. There are interviews with the writers which talk about the production. It's really a good read if you have a few minutes. Sounds like they had a really good time doing it. Felt like the effort the DS9 crew put into the 30th Anniversary episode for Star Trek recreating the original Star Trek sets. Plus there's a link at the top of the article for a post airing follow-up with additional comments.

Even if you saw the episode, there is one spoiler there that concerns some casting. If you know Battlestar Galactica well, you can spot more then one cast member other then Grace Park in there. I didn't know who that person was, so it didn't matter to me.

Space is the place for a diverting episode of 'CSI' | The Watcher

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
How odd - They couldn't use any references to "Star Trek" at all because of legal reasons, but this show is owned by Paramount just like Trek. Obviously I'm missing something there.

Once they did reference the shows - Archie (the video tech guy) listed all the Trek series by title when helping Nick answer a question Greg wouldn't have understood.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
My understanding is that Star Trek is owned by CBS, they have the TV rights. Paramount owns the movie rights. So it makes even less sense.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

And to add to what you said about past references to Star Trek, I recall a show where dead bodies had green blood and Wendy and Hodges were talking about how Spock has green blood and why and Wendy showed him up with her Trek and science knowledge.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
It was more in tone with the second, third and forth season finales. None of those were huge, earth-shattering episodes. Season 2 had "The Hunger Artist", the story of a starving supermodel and her homeless, mentally ill sister. It ended with Grissom starting to truly feel the effects of his hearing loss.

Season 3 was a bit bigger, with "Inside The Box" which was a larger than usual (at the time) episode about a bank robbery engineered by Sam Braun and led to the death of a recurring detective (something CSI: NY just did). It was more of a "finale", but bookended Grissom's hearing loss as he prepared for surgery.

Season 4 had "Bloodlines" which was a typical episode as well. A rape case with several suspects - all brothers, that shared identical DNA patterns.

I suppose season 1's "The Strip Strangler" wasn't huge, but was certainly big enough for a first season finale.

So this season's finale was kind of a throwback to simpler times, so to speak.

So for once we have no idea of what's to come with, and I'm amazed even by saying this, season TEN. Wow. Ten seasons of CSI. Just wow.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Writers normally get permission to use the names of friends and family (in writing, more often than you might think) and they generally attach the names to neutral or positive characters. (Unless they happen to have a friend who gets a charge out of having his name attached to a serial killer.)

If Goldfinger actually did what is alleged in the suit, it was remarkably dumb and petty. It is also amazing that it got past the studio's legal department, which vets every name in every script to avoid precisely this kind of problem. If a Google/Nexis/Lexis search had turned up a reference to this pair as real estate agents the clearance group should have flagged it immediately, and required either a signed release or that the names be changed.

So I'm puzzled.

Regards,

Joe

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
For the 5th season premiere of "ANGEL", the writer/director of the episode Joss Whedon said in the DVD commentary for it that he named the episode's main guest star after his nephew or cousin (can't recall which) Corbin Fries. The show's main characters went on to say nothing but horrible things about him because he was supposed to be such a nasty piece of work.

Whedon thought the real Fries would get a kick out of it but it turned out to be the opposite. Oops.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I read an article about this a few days ago and it said that the names were changed in the final episode (I'd assume because of the legal department). However, when they were casting the roles, they were still using the real names and according to the people who filed the suit, that somehow damaged their reputation.

I know when I go to buy a house, I usually check out some old CSI casting info before dealing with a realtor and I can only imagine that most people do the same.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks