What's new

Crown CE 2000 (1 Viewer)

First post for a while - but I have some questions, and Im sure you boys won't mind helping!

I'm considering using 2 of the proposed "adire uber 15" drivers in a LT configuration using a smallish box and having the drivers pointing in opposite directions in order that the drivers reaction forces will ahnialate each other. MRS style. I intend to fully investigate each component of the system (alignment, box construction, LT, XO, EQ) in order to build simply the best subwoofer per cuft ratio ever achived. This means competeing with the likes of the beast, and all those PR'd strike-15's out there.

Seeing as the driver specs are still unavailable I have been researching amplifier options. There are lots of of CE 2000 amplifiers floating around on ebay for about $500. I have several concerns however:

1/ subharmonic (rumble) filter. I know that the K2 has a rumble filter at 8hz. This is fine for me, but I dont want to get a CE series amp only to find that there is a high pass at 20 hertz.

2/ UK 240 volts. On the K2 you can simply switch between 110 and 220/240 volts and plug it into your mains. Does this apply to the CE amps? Looking at the diagram on crowns site seems to suggest that the amp should just plug straight in to 240... correct?

3/ Fan. Any subjective opinions on how obtrusive the fan on the CE is?

Lastly, what amps have you gents put your money on when needing about 1KW per chanel. I will wait and see if I need the something more powerful like the CE4000 but I will want to get close to the uber 15 driver's xmax if I am to achieve my goal. I just hope that sensitivity hasnt gone completely out of the window with these new driver designs!

I want to ad that my reason for not going for something like the K2 is that I dont think that amplifier "quality" realy matters for subwoofer aplications - just power and durability.

If bass is all about displacement, then bass amplifiers are all about voltamps!

The BCA fan-less technology is desirable, and I may end up getting one for that reason alone (well they look sexy too) but im not sure that the price premium is worth the gain at the moment.

Open to your opinions and observations...

N

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I have a CE1000, Not sure about the 240V thing, I never paid attention. The CE's do not have any filters in them at all. You need to buy a PIP to add filters if you want. The fan is noticable when it comes on. It kicks on every 15-30min or so depending on how hard it's pushed. If your rack is wide open you can surely hear it from 10ft away on quiet scenes. It's a great amp and I'm happy with it.

Did you check to see if there is a PDF of the manual on the crown site? That should answer all your concerns. If not, contact one of the engineers via email. They had great support when I had questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks