What's new

Crossover question (1 Viewer)

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
This may have been asked before and I apologize if it has. I have a Marantz AV560U Pre/pro, Paradigm Mini Monitors/CC-350/PS1000. Since the Marantz crossover sits at 100hz I was thinking of getting a Paradigm X-30 to bring it down in the 60-80hz range(Some extra $$ to spend also a reason). So I went into a local dealer to inquire and he talked me out of it. He began to go on about 3rd order electro/24db slope(guess my Marantz crossover is the same as that of the sub), and how I should set my subs crossover at 50-60hz range so that the sound from my mains and from my sub would be 0db(from the graph that he drew). I always thought that you should set your subs crossover as high as possible and allow the crossover of the pre/pro/receiver control? Any input would be appreciated.

Kevin

marc seals

Agent
From everything I have read and heard you are correct. I have played around with using both methods and definately thought that setting the sub crossover all the way up sounded better.

I had a Marantz AV550 and a Velodyne F1500. I also ended up buying a Paradigm X-30 and after fiddling with it for several days ended up using it for about a year. It did sound different/better but one drawback was that I had to turn the sub and/or the sub level on the AV550 up to the point that either the sub amp would clip more easily or the sub would bottom out. I think it was the cascading crossovers that might have been the culprit.

If your sub has a crossover bypass then I say go for it, if not then it could be a hit or miss kind of deal. One thing to consider is that you can always use the X-30 for a surround channel sub! That is what I am currently using mine for since I got the Outlaw 950.

Good luck.....

BTW does the pic of a Rotel amp mean you have one? I use a Rotel RB993 and 2 RB981's and love them!

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
The pic is off my Rotel RMB-1066(6 channel) amp. I'm looking at adding a Rotel RB991. Just goto talk the guy down abit in price.

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks