Crossover question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin. W, May 11, 2002.

1. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

This may have been asked before and I apologize if it has. I have a Marantz AV560U Pre/pro, Paradigm Mini Monitors/CC-350/PS1000. Since the Marantz crossover sits at 100hz I was thinking of getting a Paradigm X-30 to bring it down in the 60-80hz range(Some extra $$ to spend also a reason). So I went into a local dealer to inquire and he talked me out of it. He began to go on about 3rd order electro/24db slope(guess my Marantz crossover is the same as that of the sub), and how I should set my subs crossover at 50-60hz range so that the sound from my mains and from my sub would be 0db(from the graph that he drew). I always thought that you should set your subs crossover as high as possible and allow the crossover of the pre/pro/receiver control? Any input would be appreciated.

Kevin

2. marc seals

marc seals Agent

From everything I have read and heard you are correct. I have played around with using both methods and definately thought that setting the sub crossover all the way up sounded better.

I had a Marantz AV550 and a Velodyne F1500. I also ended up buying a Paradigm X-30 and after fiddling with it for several days ended up using it for about a year. It did sound different/better but one drawback was that I had to turn the sub and/or the sub level on the AV550 up to the point that either the sub amp would clip more easily or the sub would bottom out. I think it was the cascading crossovers that might have been the culprit.

If your sub has a crossover bypass then I say go for it, if not then it could be a hit or miss kind of deal. One thing to consider is that you can always use the X-30 for a surround channel sub! That is what I am currently using mine for since I got the Outlaw 950.

Good luck.....

BTW does the pic of a Rotel amp mean you have one? I use a Rotel RB993 and 2 RB981's and love them!

3. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

The pic is off my Rotel RMB-1066(6 channel) amp. I'm looking at adding a Rotel RB991. Just goto talk the guy down abit in price.

Kevin