What's new

Cropping Display (1 Viewer)

HTROLAND

Agent
Real Name
Roland
Is there any reason why my display on TV is cropping? I played Avatar in Blu Ray and it was O.K. Then I tried another Blu Ray movie where the previews were alright but when the real movie starts it starts cropping. I cannot adjust the Aspect from the receiver or from the TV. It displays Unavailable at the receiver and the correct aspect at the TV is not highlighted.

Another concern I have is finding a coaxial cable with an RCA type connector. I need this because when I connect my DVD with component cable and input an analog video then ouput at the HDMI OUT the picutre also crop out.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Is it cropping vertical, horizontal or both? What was the other movie? What setting do you have on your TV?

HTROLAND

Agent
Real Name
Roland
Robert,

The cropping is horizontal, both the top and the bottom is gone. My TV is set to Auto, when I check it I can only take the Auto or the Wide. What it really shows is Wide. I rented a Blu Ray from Redbox called The Losers. I wanted to discover what else I have to learn about HT the reason why I tried renting. My Blu Ray is Sony BDP-S570 connected to the Receiver by HDMI from Monoprice.

HTROLAND

Agent
Real Name
Roland
Sorry again. Some previews are O.K. like Me and Olson Wells, Batman (the brave and the bold-video game). The cropping ones, Lottery Ticket, Clash of the Titans and Batman (under the red hood).

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't have that Blu-ray title so I can't be sure. If I weren't so busy, I'd go rent it at my local Red Box.

Are you sure the previews aren't in a 2.35:1 screen ratio? Can you pause the trailer and take a picture?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Robert_J Some films are just shot in wider aspect ratios which creates black bars at the top and bottom of your screen. The top & bottom are not being cropped...but the black bars actually prevent the sides from being cropped off in these instances.

HTROLAND

Agent
Real Name
Roland
I pause and took a picture and it looks like its 2.4:1 aspect. I set my TV to 16x9 before playing then check it while playing and showed Wide. So this movie was shot at Wide aspect ratio. Seems there is nothing I can do? I have read the site you recomended. It seems that is for the old TV and VCR tapes to be played on older TV. Time to return the movie. Talk to you later.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by HTROLAND

Several years ago, the HT hobby waged a fight against DVD manufacturers who wanted to cut off the sides of the movies' images so that they would "fit" on 4:3 (or 1.33:1) screens--the old-style screen aspect ratios. It was a long, hard fight...but for the most part, there are very few films now released in an altered format.

I hope that helps explain things for you. There are MANY different aspect ratios on which films are shot. So you will notice that the size of the bars will differ on your set depending on the film's aspect ratio (which will be written on the back of any DVD/Blu-ray package.

HTROLAND

Agent
Real Name
Roland
Thank you so much. Will it really mesh up my TV if I watch that kind of movie? Hour and half of horizontal cropping.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by HTROLAND

Thank you so much. Will it really mesh up my TV if I watch that kind of movie? Hour and half of horizontal cropping.

Nope. To badly paraphrase the Doritos ad line: "Watch all you want, it won't hurt at all."

And just to be be certain. There's no "cropping" at work in this situation. In fact, the presence of the bars is to avoid any cropping for home viewing. You see, we HT enthusiasts want to be able to see a movie the way that the filmmakers wanted us to see it--nothing missing.

Some movies, Ben Hur is one example, were shot is a Super Wide format 2.76:1 (nearly three times as wide as its height!) When you watch a film like that the black bars are pretty big...but the visuals are terrific.

From DVDBeaver.com:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
It's been so long since I've heard the black-bars panic, "Oh my God, something's broken with my TV!" Seriously, letterboxing has been a major part of DVD distribution for 13 years now, I thought everybody was finally acclimated to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks