What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (2 Viewers)

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Is I Am Cuba any good? I’ve always been interested in the Cuban Revolution and have two other Criterion releases that involve Cuba; Che and Memories of Underdevelopment.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Holy crap! Werckmeister Harmonies?! In 4k?!

And Dogfight!

(Normally, I'd be excited by Picnic at Hanging Rock on UHD as well, but I have the Second Sight release. Which I didn't consider "problematic".)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Never seen most of those, except Picnic at Hanging Rock, which I probably won't upgrade, plus also La Haine, which I only fairly recently bought the BD + digital, but not watched yet.

Werckmeister Harmonies definitely looks interesting enough that I might blindbuy in 4K. Maybe the Dogfight BD too.

I Am Cuba also looks interesting... but probably not enough for me to blindbuy. I'll probably look out for it (and maybe also Dogfight) on The Criterion Channel instead.

_Man_

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Holy crap! Werckmeister Harmonies?! In 4k?!
Could be the opening of the floodgates of Béla Tarr on 4K :biggrin: I have yet to see any of his films theatrically, either projected from 35mm, or a DCP, and I'm sure his black and white masterpieces will have the same upgrade in greyscale and compression, as other black and white films have had on 4K UHD.

The fact that Criterion is going 4K UHD with even "deep art-house", is very uplifting. Bodes well for the future.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Peeping Tom for me Day 1 ! :biggrin: :dancing-banana-04:
aaa peeping tom.jpg

Last edited:

Dennis Gallagher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis T. Gallagher
Should we be holding out for a 4K on "All That Money Can Buy"? (Sorry - I just noted it's on the "Coming Soon" page for a March release. Perhaps I should go back a couple pages to see if there's a discussion on this one - and see now that there was already one back in December when its release was announced. What can I say - I'm old.)

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

I'm glad that I hadn't gotten around to ordering StudioCanal's UHD of Peeping Tom. I had a feeling Criterion might do it on UHD. I'm still trying to decide whether to get SC's Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai UHD, or wait to see if Criterion upgrades their BD to UHD. On the other hand, I did bite for SC's UHDs of Lester's first two Musketeers films.

Also in for the Ozu double-feature and the Sembene collection. And happy to see them releasing Anatomy of a Fall.

plektret

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Why is everyone saying that they are glad to not having ordered the UK UHD of Peeping Tom? There's no way NexSpec aka Pixelogic aka Radius60 will do a better job at encoding than Fidelity in Motion. Criterion will just have additional low-pass filtering as usual to ease the encoding process. They've been doing this for years. Very frustrating.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Judging by the extras, I might be going for the StudioCanal. It's considerably cheaper, my local video retailer is getting it soon, and I do have the Criterion DVD for the Leo Marks piece, which is really good. Not waiting until May is only a consideration for people less optimistic than me.

Reactions: PMF

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I've been waiting for Peeping Tom to get released so day 1 purchase for me. The rest i can take or leave.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks