What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (1 Viewer)

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
All in for Blue Velvet and Underground Railroad, two masterpieces. Victims of Sin sounds really great too.
I'm totally going to get Victims of Sin. Directed by one of Sam Peckinpah's buddies Emilio Fernandez (he was in The Wild Bunch and a great Columbo just in case you didn't know.) Oh the tequila consumed by those must have been record breaking.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
The only one I would be interested in is Blue Velvet, but my Blu is just fine. So for me, I'll see what comes out next month. I am happy for the members that want these titles. We all have different tastes and that great.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid!!! Finally!!!
This is amazing amazing news ! I cannot wait. All three versions too (my preferrred is the preview version...).
I saw that it - I think at a screening at the Academy sometime in the late 80's - and legendary director Richard Brooks was in attendance. It was a revelation. I'm still not 100% on board with why Paul Seydor chose to omit certain things from it. To me it the most emotionally powerful of the 3 versions.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid!!! Finally!!!

Just a release of this is Good News. Great News is:

New 4K digital restoration of the 50th Anniversary Release, supervised by editors Paul Seydor and Roger Spottiswoode, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack

New 4K digital restoration of the Original Theatrical Release, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack

New 2K digital master of director Sam Peckinpah’s Final Preview Cut, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
One of the strongest Criterion months ever! And just 10 days before I was going to order the French 4K UHD of Le Samourai! Perfect Days in 4K too - the only English-friendly 4K UHD release! Pat Garrett will have the many Peckinpah and western fans on this forum going gaga! A fantastic mix of classical, commercial, art-house, foreign and recent.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
One of the strongest Criterion months ever! And just 10 days before I was going to order the French 4K UHD of Le Samourai! Perfect Days in 4K too - the only English-friendly 4K UHD release! Pat Garrett will have the many Peckinpah and western fans on this forum going gaga! A fantastic mix of classical, commercial, art-house, foreign and recent.
And the Le Samourai cover is beautiful.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

These are all (very) tempting to varying degrees... though not sure I really need 4K for any of them though, especially if they're not actually derived from new scans, which seems very unclear just from the Criterion descriptions.

I already have prior BDs of Le Samourai (Criterion) and Farewell My Concubine (BFI import from UK), which are both ~7-8 years old now. AFAIK, the latter could definitely use a new scan and probably wouldn't improve much w/out one.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks