What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (4 Viewers)

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
For what it's worth: In recent visits to various Asian/Far East film--devoted forums (outside HTF), I find a lot of folks seem convinced, based on various factors & recent events -- incl. the success of "Godzilla v. Kong" -- that Criterion may have another Japanese Kaiju (most likely Godzilla-centric) boxset in the works.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
For what it's worth: In recent visits to various Asian/Far East film--devoted forums (outside HTF), I find a lot of folks seem convinced, based on various factors & recent events -- incl. the success of "Godzilla v. Kong" -- that Criterion may have another Japanese Kaiju (most likely Godzilla-centric) boxset in the works.
Godzilla 1984 and Vs. Biolante have recently been spotted with Janus logos on the touring circuit actually. So it does sound like a The Heisei-Era Films set is in the works.

Whether or not that includes the Shinseiki films is anyone's guess.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Yup, I might not buy this Blu-ray.
I will buy it because I like the film and it's a New 4K Restoration ! :) I don't know why they did Not include a Widescreen version with the release ? :confused: :unsure: On the Waterfront Bluray from Criterion has 3 different screen versions. :huh: ? A 1955 movie release should be seen in Widescreen.
aaa SUMMERTIME.jpg

Last edited:

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Godzilla 1984 and Vs. Biolante have recently been spotted with Janus logos on the touring circuit actually. So it does sound like a The Heisei-Era Films set is in the works.

Whether or not that includes the Shinseiki films is anyone's guess.
This much is certain: The likelihood of such a boxset happening greatly diminishes if Janus *cannot* secure rights to BOTH versions of Godzilla '84 (Japanese + U.S./Raymond Burr versions).. Criterion is nothing if not comprehensive.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
This much is certain: The likelihood of such a boxset happening greatly diminishes if Janus *cannot* secure rights to BOTH versions of Godzilla '84 (Japanese + U.S./Raymond Burr versions).. Criterion is nothing if not comprehensive.
I wouldn't say that. Gigantis The Fire Monster wasn't included in the previous set and Toho themselves have been reported to be the ones suppressing Godzilla 1985.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
I wouldn't say that. Gigantis The Fire Monster wasn't included in the previous set and Toho themselves have been reported to be the ones suppressing Godzilla 1985.
Assuming you mean the version of "Gigantis" with that On-screen title, apparently it's no longer available to anyone as Toho has decided this version is only to be seen with the (admittedly better) "Godzilla Raids Again" on-screen title.. Criterion usually will only include somethng if it's 'historically complete', or as 'historicaly-complete' as possible (i.e. If it [film, element of film, interview, whatevr] can be found &/or licensed, it may be included. If it's smth being blocked by a studio/owner, this may prevent a film's inclusion entirely). Considering that---aside frm the onscreen titles, narration & a few moments of new stop-motion FX---the U.S. and Japan versions of this film are othrwise not much different*, it is understndable Criterion was (reluctantly) oK with not including the U.S. version.

*(In contrast to "Godzilla '54", "KK vs.G" and "Godzilla '84", wherein the U.S. versions add new characters [while removing chunks ofthe Japan footage to accommodate said], change the behavior of certain characters, and---in the case of KK v.G---supposedly change the fate of one of the title monsters)

Last edited:

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
Assuming you mean the version of "Gigantis" with that On-screen title, apparently it's no longer available to anyone as Toho has decided this version is only to be seen with the (admittedly better) "Godzilla Raids Again" on-screen title.. Criterion usually will only include somethng if it's 'historically complete', or as 'historicaly-complete' as possible (i.e. If it [film, element of film, interview, whatevr] can be found &/or licensed, it may be included. If it's smth being blocked by a studio/owner, this may prevent a film's inclusion entirely). Considering that---aside frm the onscreen titles, narration & a few moments of new stop-motion FX---the U.S. and Japan versions of this film are othrwise not much different*, it is understndable Criterion was (reluctantly) oK with not including the U.S. version.

*(In contrast to "Godzilla '54", "KK vs.G" and "Godzilla '84", wherein the U.S. versions add new characters [while removing chunks ofthe Japan footage to accommodate said], change the behavior of certain characters, and---in the case of KK v.G---supposedly change the fate of one of the title monsters)
It's an interesting question as to what to include and what not. Personally, I'm in the "release the US cut" of Godzilla Returns as I'm a huge Raymond Burr fan, and because KotM was hugely important to importing these films. Much like how Gammera the Invincible was included in the Gamera Arrow set, if I remember correctly, because it had new footage shot and was the version that most people saw outside of Japan, I would assume. I've never seen Godzilla '85. It never came near me and God knows my parents weren't going to take me if it did. I did see commercial as a 7-year-old and was excited about the idea. At this point, I still mostly just know they put in Burr and a lot of Dr. Pepper product placement, but I definitely feel like it should be preserved and released. Putting it in as a "bonus" in a Criterion set would be a delightful way to do it.

Including the US version of KvG was nice, and of course I want as much of that kind of thing as we can get, but I can understand why it was relegated to a bonus disc. Would it have been great for them to do the same with "Gigantis"? Absolutely, if only for a historical context. Was it a deal breaker? I guess not, because I picked it up during a B&N sale.

I do feel like it would be a good way to get me to pick up a Heisei set when I already otherwise have all of them (including the long out of print Biolante) on blu, whereas I was missing 2/3rds of the Showa era before the Criterion set, simply because it hadn't been released. For some reason Sony put almost all of those and the Millenium series out on those double-feature discs, but we couldn't get Invasion of the Astro-Monster. Go-figure. But for the love of God, please put them in a normal box set and not another one of those books that have my discs sliding around and impossible to get out.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
The new Scott MacQueen restoration of The Devil and Daniel Webster will be premiering at the UCLA Festival of Preservation on May 20th with a “special thanks” to Janus Films. Interestingly, the new restoration is apparently three minutes longer than the DVD. The full restoration credits:

Restoration funding provided by The Hobson/Lucas Family Foundation. Restored by the UCLA Film & Television Archive and The Film Foundation in collaboration with Janus Films, The Museum of Modern Art and The Library of Congress. Laboratory services provided by Roundabout Entertainment, Inc., Fotokem, Audio Mechanics, DJ Audio, Inc. Special thanks to Janus Films.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
It's an interesting question as to what to include and what not. Personally, I'm in the "release the US cut" of Godzilla Returns as I'm a huge Raymond Burr fan, and because KotM was hugely important to importing these films. Much like how Gammera the Invincible was included in the Gamera Arrow set, if I remember correctly, because it had new footage shot and was the version that most people saw outside of Japan, I would assume. I've never seen Godzilla '85. It never came near me and God knows my parents weren't going to take me if it did. I did see commercial as a 7-year-old and was excited about the idea. At this point, I still mostly just know they put in Burr and a lot of Dr. Pepper product placement, but I definitely feel like it should be preserved and released. Putting it in as a "bonus" in a Criterion set would be a delightful way to do it.
One thing they had to really make sure was to not have Burr referred to as "Steve Martin" like in KOTM. He's just called "Mr. Martin" and the end credits show the character is "Stephen Martin."

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas

Including the US version of KvG was nice, and of course I want as much of that kind of thing as we can get, but I can understand why it was relegated to a bonus disc. Would it have been great for them to do the same with "Gigantis"? Absolutely, if only for a historical context. Was it a deal breaker? I guess not, because I picked it up during a B&N sale.
As far as I recall there's just the single scene with a Dr. Pepper vending machine in the backgrnd & maybe a scene or two showing one or more of the Americans drinking from a can of Dr.P while conversing +/or observing the video feed from Tokyo. It otherwise wasn't "poured on" quite as heavy as legend may have it.. :>]

It's the Japanese version of KKv.G that's included as a bonus in the Criterion boxset, not the U.S. version (which serves as the 'primary' version on the set), but I take it that's what you actually meant..

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
As far as I recall there's just the single scene with a Dr. Pepper vending machine in the backgrnd & maybe a scene or two showing one or more of the Americans drinking from a can of Dr.P while conversing +/or observing the video feed from Tokyo. It otherwise wasn't "poured on" quite as heavy as legend may have it.. :>]

It's the Japanese version of KKv.G that's included as a bonus in the Criterion boxset, not the U.S. version (which serves as the 'primary' version on the set), but I take it that's what you actually meant..
I thought it was the other way around after I ripped them for my Plex server last month, but I'm probably misremembering. Regardless, it's nice that they're both on there.

That's almost disappointing, given how much I'd heard about it. One more urban legend bites the dust.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks