RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

Derrick King

Screenwriter
According to a member at the Criterion Forum these are the July titles (they provided legit links for Raging Bull, Okja and Drive my Car's covers.)
The Virgin Suicides 4k
Raging Bull 4k
Okja 4k
Devil in a Blue Dress 4k
Summertime
Drive My Car

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
According to a member at the Criterion Forum these are the July titles (they provided legit links for Raging Bull, Okja and Drive my Car's covers.)
The Virgin Suicides 4k
Raging Bull 4k
Okja 4k
Devil in a Blue Dress 4k
Summertime
Drive My Car
Figures- I bought the old BluRay of Raging Bull a few weeks ago. I guess this was inevitable. 😁

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Figures- I bought the old BluRay of Raging Bull a few weeks ago. I guess this was inevitable. 😁
Unless you need 4k (and tbqh Raging Bull really isn't a film screaming for UHD) you already have the only real suplement from Criterion's old laserdisc that'll be showing up again. The Scorcese commentary.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
The Virgin Suicides 4k
Raging Bull 4k
Okja 4k
Devil in a Blue Dress 4k
Summertime
Drive My Car

Wow. Four out of the six are UHDs. They've really committed.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Definitely in for Summertime! It's a very beautifully shot film.
Now, about Raging Bull:
I've seen it once years ago and didn't care for it at all. Maybe I should give it another chance?
I love Rocky on the other hand.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Definitely in for Summertime! It's a very beautifully shot film.
Now, about Raging Bull:
I've seen it once years ago and didn't care for it at all. Maybe I should give it another chance?
I love Rocky on the other hand.
Raging Bull or Rocky are about as different boxing movies as you can find. Rocky is a boxing fantasy while The Raging Bull is much more realistic (boxing-wise) as it's a true story about a real boxer that was a despicable human being.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Hope to see a Truffaut box set. The BFI are currently releasing some of his films on Blu-ray.
It has been ages since Criterion last released a Truffaut disc. The last was Day for Night, 7 years ago.
What are the odds of a Kurosawa boxset one of these days?
It has been ages since Criterion last released a Kurosawa disc. The last was Dreams, 6 years ago.

One would assume that the drought in titles from two of the filmmakers that are most associated with the label is because they want to give them the Bergman treatment. But, who knows the boxsets are a lot of work (someone at the Criterion forum reported on a recent event at the Wexner Center and Lee Kline talked about what a nightmare they had putting the Fellini set together. The advantage of a Kurosawa or Truffaut set is that they would be dealing with far fewer licensors than the Fellini (which has nearly as many licensors as films.)

The reason I'm assuming a Pasolini set is in the works for this year, is that I believe there are bunch of new "restorations" and Janus has the rights to a large chunk of the films and, of those that Janus controls, only one is on Blu-ray.

Doom

Agent
Real Name
Nori
They did one on DVD back in the day. I suppose a BD one would depend on what's available in HD masters.
As far as I know every single one of his films other than The Idiot, are now available with HD masters (Dersu Uzula might be from a very old scan). A bunch of them even have new 4k masters that were made in Japan over the last 4 or so years. This includes Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Rashomon and Throne of Blood (if I recall correctly Kagemusha too).

The early Kurosawa movies including: Sugata Sanshiro, The Most Beautiful, No Regrets for Our Youth, Wonderful Sunday, and The Men Who Tread on the Tiger's Tail, all have HD masters released in Japan too (and I believe some in France).

There's at least 7 more important films of Kurosawa not yet on blu ray including Red Beard, The Bad Sleep Well, Stray Dog, Scandal, Drunken Angel, The Lower Depths, and I live in Fear. All of which are with Criterion last I checked. Combined with the above older Kurosawa films, Criterion has a whole lot to bring out on the format still.

The way things look if Criterion doesn't do a box set for Kurosawa, I think we probably won't be seeing all his films in HD in the collection for at least a decade if not more.

Doom

Agent
Real Name
Nori
It has been ages since Criterion last released a Truffaut disc. The last was Day for Night, 7 years ago.

It has been ages since Criterion last released a Kurosawa disc. The last was Dreams, 6 years ago.

One would assume that the drought in titles from two of the filmmakers that are most associated with the label is because they want to give them the Bergman treatment. But, who knows the boxsets are a lot of work (someone at the Criterion forum reported on a recent event at the Wexner Center and Lee Kline talked about what a nightmare they had putting the Fellini set together. The advantage of a Kurosawa or Truffaut set is that they would be dealing with far fewer licensors than the Fellini (which has nearly as many licensors as films.)

The reason I'm assuming a Pasolini set is in the works for this year, is that I believe there are bunch of new "restorations" and Janus has the rights to a large chunk of the films and, of those that Janus controls, only one is on Blu-ray.
I agree. Ideally a box set similar to the Essential Fellini or the Bergman treatment would be ideal.

So you suspect a Pasolini box set could be next. That's very interesting.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Whelp... its after noon again. Still nothing official. I wonder if this "leak" is to blame instead of Criterion cutting the bullcrap and just releasing titles on Friday as they were supposed to.

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
I’ve never seen Summertime, but if it’s part of the July batch (which seems quite likely after last month when they teased Tales of Hoffman), I’ll definitely give it a shot since it’s a David Lean film with Katharine Hepburn.
I have the Criterion laserdisc of Summertime. It’s an enjoyable romance with a great score and a wonderful K. Hepburn performance. It was of excellent quality on the LD, the blu-ray (or maybe 4K UHD) would be very nice. Richard Rodgers composed a fine score for a Broadway adaptation of Summertime, Do I Hear a Waltz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks