1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Criterion Blu-ray titles!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Brandon Conway, May 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Howard's End is one of my all-time favourite films and will be a release day purchase. I know this may be heresy, but I much prefer it to Picnic at Hanging Rock and am quite gratified that it will be getting a Criterion treatment. Of course, I'd rather they both be available so fans of each can enjoy them at their best--but if I get to choose which one I'd like to see first (and I did), Howard's End is far and away, to me, a more satisfying choice.

2. ccfixx

ccfixx Stunt Coordinator

Chris
  3. Peter Neski

Peter Neski Screenwriter

Blue Ray seems to remind me of the same waitting game we use to go thought with laser. Criteron seems to take
    forever to get to its back cat.,and stills releases a lot more on standard dvd .Why studios think older titles and TV
    shows don't deserve Blue Ray

4. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Cinematographer

CraB
    Criterion doesn't have a "back cat," per say. Personally, I'm fine with their release schedule. They're not going to release everything at once.

5. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    And they're certainly releasing riskier and a larger variety of "catalog" titles than most major studios.

6. burntbyfire

burntbyfire Auditioning

Erik
    I voted for Howards End on Blu-ray for two reasons, because I love the film and it was the best title of those that were listed. A title like Howards End really benefits from an HD transfer because of the intricate production design and costumes. The cinematography for the film is fantastic and the previous DVD transfers never did it any justice.

I didn't think I'd ever see someone say that Picnic at Hanging Rock should get an HD transfer, especially over Howards End. Everyone I know who has seen it felt the same as I did, that it was boring and pointless. It's too bad all of those whiny little girls didn't disappear at the end.

7. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

I happen to like both films and I don't think that dismissing either one is terribly constructive.

I would suggest that it is better to hope for good treatment of all releases whether one is a fan or not, because some of the releases will be ones you desire. Looking forward to Howards End in November, and hopefully Picnic at Hanging Rock (the film I happened to vote for) sometime next year.

As always, just my $0.02.

- Walter.

8. Vegas 1

Vegas 1 Supporting Actor

Alvin Kuenster
    rented Homicide and Last Days of Disco both on SDDVD, thought both looked and sounded good, not BD quality mind you but quite acceptable.

9. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Picnic at Hanging Rock will get it's Blu-ray release in good time. I'm looking forward to it, but I'm not gonna get upset that another release was potentially more popular.

10. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    I love Picnic. It's one of my favorite films. Weir is so brilliant and weird. I'd love to have The Year of Living Dangerously on blu.

Never seen H's end, but thanks for the recommend--I'll put it on my netflix queue...

11. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    ccfix, u dont work for Criterion right? i dont see an insider tag on u =P. they are on facebook BTW, great way to interact with them because they finally accepted my suggestion of creating a filter for their newsletter. i want blu-ray titles ONLY newsletter, not just DVDs lol. hopefully that is coming.

re: Third Man, taht is officially gone... so if u dont buy ur copy now... who knows when the rights will be re-secured. i never knew it was so complicated even for home media.

12. Guest

Well done. Does HTF have a foes list?

13. ccfixx

ccfixx Stunt Coordinator

Chris
    Correct, JediFonger. At this time, I do not work for Criterion. ;) Then again, I've never worked for Criterion, and I seriously doubt that I'll ever have such an opportunity.
    Alas, I'll just stick to my title as a 'fan' of their work. :)
    CC

14. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Someone got this email response from the Chaplin estate:

"I'm not sure yet but I think that the first dvds to be released will be more or less the same as the Warner ones, unless Criterion are planning something we don't know about. New stuff including HD restorations will be on blueray, ?next year? year after?"

Sounds like it's pretty much a done deal. And sign me up for a City Lights Blu-ray....

15. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    Yes, it would be fascinating to see Chaplin on blu-ray. The Gold Rush, The Circus, and Modern Times would also be great titles. I saw A Woman of Paris once, long ago, and I thought it was interesting, but I missed the tramp...

16. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    my fav. Chaplin is The Kid =). still his most personal work =).

17. Guest

Hate to be a negative nelly, but it sounds like the Chaplin Estate knows about as much as I do about when Chaplin is coming on blu ray.

18. Viper

Viper Second Unit

Joe Fisk
    I don't get it. Do both Criterion and Beuna Vista still have rights to release Armageddon? Criterion has to be stupid not to get that done first. It would almost certainly outsell most of their other releases. Being the only anamorphic release available alone is worth a shitload of sales. I'd pay whatever the asking price was on release day without a second thought.

19. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Some Buena Vista licensed titles to Criterion are simply Buena Vista authored discs with the Criterion label. Buena Vista has already done Blu-rays of The Rock and Chasing Any (arrives 11/17) that are essentially the Criterion discs on Blu. I'm sure Buena Vista will get around to Armageddon eventually, while (like The Rock and Chasing Amy) the Criterion DVD stays in print.
    (This was also the deal Paramount had with Benjamin Button on DVD/BD - Paramount authored, Criterion label).

20. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I've only seen the specs but it looks like all the Criterion-produced supplements (the commentary and the DVD intro) are not on the Chasing Amy Blu-ray so I don't think Criterion has any part of the new release. On the plus side, there's a new commentary, a documentary, a 10th anniversary screening Q&A with the cast and crew, the deleted scenes and outtakes and the trailer.