What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (2 Viewers)

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Blue Ray seems to remind me of the same waitting game we use to go thought with laser. Criteron seems to take
forever to get to its back cat.,and stills releases a lot more on standard dvd .Why studios think older titles and TV
shows don't deserve Blue Ray

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Criterion doesn't have a "back cat," per say. Personally, I'm fine with their release schedule. They're not going to release everything at once.

burntbyfire

Auditioning
Real Name
Erik
I voted for Howards End on Blu-ray for two reasons, because I love the film and it was the best title of those that were listed. A title like Howards End really benefits from an HD transfer because of the intricate production design and costumes. The cinematography for the film is fantastic and the previous DVD transfers never did it any justice.

I didn't think I'd ever see someone say that Picnic at Hanging Rock should get an HD transfer, especially over Howards End. Everyone I know who has seen it felt the same as I did, that it was boring and pointless. It's too bad all of those whiny little girls didn't disappear at the end.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I happen to like both films and I don't think that dismissing either one is terribly constructive.

I would suggest that it is better to hope for good treatment of all releases whether one is a fan or not, because some of the releases will be ones you desire. Looking forward to Howards End in November, and hopefully Picnic at Hanging Rock (the film I happened to vote for) sometime next year.

As always, just my $0.02.

- Walter.

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
rented Homicide and Last Days of Disco both on SDDVD, thought both looked and sounded good, not BD quality mind you but quite acceptable.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Picnic at Hanging Rock will get it's Blu-ray release in good time. I'm looking forward to it, but I'm not gonna get upset that another release was potentially more popular.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I love Picnic. It's one of my favorite films. Weir is so brilliant and weird. I'd love to have The Year of Living Dangerously on blu.

Never seen H's end, but thanks for the recommend--I'll put it on my netflix queue...

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
ccfix, u dont work for Criterion right? i dont see an insider tag on u =P. they are on facebook BTW, great way to interact with them because they finally accepted my suggestion of creating a filter for their newsletter. i want blu-ray titles ONLY newsletter, not just DVDs lol. hopefully that is coming.

re: Third Man, taht is officially gone... so if u dont buy ur copy now... who knows when the rights will be re-secured. i never knew it was so complicated even for home media.

Originally Posted by burntbyfire /forum/thread/272151/criterion-announces-first-blu-ray-titles/540#post_3621964
I didn't think I'd ever see someone say that Picnic at Hanging Rock should get an HD transfer, especially over Howards End. Everyone I know who has seen it felt the same as I did, that it was boring and pointless. It's too bad all of those whiny little girls didn't disappear at the end.
Well done. Does HTF have a foes list?

ccfixx

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by JediFonger /forum/thread/272151/criterion-announces-first-blu-ray-titles/540#post_3622047
ccfixx, u dont work for Criterion right? i dont see an insider tag on u =P. they are on facebook BTW, great way to interact with them because they finally accepted my suggestion of creating a filter for their newsletter. i want blu-ray titles ONLY newsletter, not just DVDs lol. hopefully that is coming.
Correct, JediFonger. At this time, I do not work for Criterion. ;) Then again, I've never worked for Criterion, and I seriously doubt that I'll ever have such an opportunity.
Alas, I'll just stick to my title as a 'fan' of their work. :)
CC

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Someone got this email response from the Chaplin estate:

"I'm not sure yet but I think that the first dvds to be released will be more or less the same as the Warner ones, unless Criterion are planning something we don't know about. New stuff including HD restorations will be on blueray, ?next year? year after?"

Sounds like it's pretty much a done deal. And sign me up for a City Lights Blu-ray....

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Yes, it would be fascinating to see Chaplin on blu-ray. The Gold Rush, The Circus, and Modern Times would also be great titles. I saw A Woman of Paris once, long ago, and I thought it was interesting, but I missed the tramp...

Originally Posted by Brandon Conway /forum/thread/272151/criterion-announces-first-blu-ray-titles/570#post_3622702
"I'm not sure yet but I think that the first dvds to be released will be more or less the same as the Warner ones, unless Criterion are planning something we don't know about. New stuff including HD restorations will be on blueray, ?next year? year after?"
Hate to be a negative nelly, but it sounds like the Chaplin Estate knows about as much as I do about when Chaplin is coming on blu ray.

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
I don't get it. Do both Criterion and Beuna Vista still have rights to release Armageddon? Criterion has to be stupid not to get that done first. It would almost certainly outsell most of their other releases. Being the only anamorphic release available alone is worth a shitload of sales. I'd pay whatever the asking price was on release day without a second thought.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Viper /forum/thread/272151/criterion-announces-first-blu-ray-titles/570#post_3624815
I don't get it. Do both Criterion and Beuna Vista still have rights to release Armageddon? Criterion has to be stupid not to get that done first. It would almost certainly outsell most of their other releases. Being the only anamorphic release available alone is worth a shitload of sales. I'd pay whatever the asking price was on release day without a second thought.
Some Buena Vista licensed titles to Criterion are simply Buena Vista authored discs with the Criterion label. Buena Vista has already done Blu-rays of The Rock and Chasing Any (arrives 11/17) that are essentially the Criterion discs on Blu. I'm sure Buena Vista will get around to Armageddon eventually, while (like The Rock and Chasing Amy) the Criterion DVD stays in print.
(This was also the deal Paramount had with Benjamin Button on DVD/BD - Paramount authored, Criterion label).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Chasing Any (arrives 11/17) that are essentially the Criterion discs on Blu.
I've only seen the specs but it looks like all the Criterion-produced supplements (the commentary and the DVD intro) are not on the Chasing Amy Blu-ray so I don't think Criterion has any part of the new release. On the plus side, there's a new commentary, a documentary, a 10th anniversary screening Q&A with the cast and crew, the deleted scenes and outtakes and the trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks