What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (3 Viewers)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
"It might seem early to ring in the New Year, but we’re excited about our just-announced January titles. After some blood, sweat, and tears, the restored Rossellini War Trilogy (spine number 500!)—featuring the landmark Rome Open City, Paisan, and Germany Year Zero—will finally make its DVD debut. Add DVD and Blu-ray editions of restored Che and Paris, Texas, a shimmering new Blu-ray 8½, and a Chantal Akerman Eclipse set, and there’s something for everyone to celebrate." So, that's 3 Blus in January: 8½ Che Paris, Texas
1000x800px-LL-140_BD_box_348x490.jpg
1000x800px-LL-496_BD_box_348x490.jpg
1000x800px-LL-501_BD_box_348x490.jpg
The DVD-only releases are: Rossellini War Trilogy (Rome Open City, Paisan, Germany Year Zero) Chantel Akerman in the Seventies (Eclipse) https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/thumbs/b/b0/500_box_348x490.jpg/1000x500px-LL-500_box_348x490.jpg"> https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/thumbs/b/ba/497_box_348x490.jpg/1000x800px-LL-497_box_348x490.jpg https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/thumbs/0/05/498_box_348x490.jpg/1000x800px-LL-498_box_348x490.jpg https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/thumbs/7/79/499_box_348x490.jpg/1000x800px-LL-499_box_348x490.jpg

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Something new on the 8 1/2 Blu:
"The Last Sequence, a new 52-minute documentary on Fellini’s lost alternate ending for 8 1/2 (available on Blu-ray edition)"
Also, it's interesting to note that the films in the Rossellini Box Set get the spine numbers before the box so that the Box can be #500.
496 - Che
497 - Rome Open City
498 - Paisan
499 - Germany Year Zero
500 - Rossellini's War Trilogy
501 - Paris, Texas

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Gosh! I really *HATE* this new HTF software right about now!!! /img/vbsmilies/htf/furious.gif"> Just made me lose what I was about to post due to that pesky odd browser focus bug that occasionally causes a back keystroke to be interpreted as the browser's back button.

ccfixx

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
After e-mailing Jon Mulvaney last night about not receiving my plastic case for "The Third Man," yet, this is his reply...

Hi Chris,

Thanks for writing in!

The program has been so popular that we are currently out of the
plastic cases! We're expecting more to come in a the end of the week.
I have a record of all the payments so rest assured that as soon as we
receive more I'll be shipping one out to you!

Thanks for supporting Criterion and please accept my apologies for any
worries caused!

Best,
Jon

CC

ccfixx

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway /forum/thread/272151/criterion-announces-first-blu-ray-titles/540#post_3620200
That looks amazing. I can't wait.
I'm right there with ya, Brandon. November 3rd can't come quick enough.
CC

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Criterion's website is showing The Third Man Blu-Ray and DVD as being Out of Print. Don't know if it is a mistake or if the evil Studio Canal/Lionsgate deal has caused Criterion to lose another title, but if you want it you might want to pick it up soon. (Even if it isn't really OOP it is a great disc that you should have.)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Originally Posted by Derrick King
Criterion's website is showing The Third Man Blu-Ray and DVD as being Out of Print. Don't know if it is a mistake or if the evil Studio Canal/Lionsgate deal has caused Criterion to lose another title, but if you want it you might want to pick it up soon. (Even if it isn't really OOP it is a great disc that you should have.)

Yup; Criterion have now confirmed this to be the case; it's looking like Studio Canal are recalling their rights (as they did with Ran and Contempt) in order to put out their own BD, probably in the hit and miss 'Studio Canal Collection'.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Just terrible. Glad I've got my copy. I've said this on other forums, but I really hate the Studio Canal/Lionsgate deal (and not just because of the great Criterion releases that are going OOP.) /img/vbsmilies/htf/angry.gif

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
This was going to be on my Christmas list but I decided to order a copy just in case. Probably would have still been available in a couple of months, but better safe than sorry.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
With expired rights to Ran and now Third Man, I'm very concerned that many of my favorite Criterion licensed titles may never see the light of day in HD.
It makes it especially frustrating for me when month after month I'm not seeing any of my favorites being re-issued on BD. My problem, I know...but there it is.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Boy it really sucks seeing "Howards End "on Blue Ray,thinking we could have had a far better
Film"Picnic at Hanging Rock" which is in need of a new 16x9 transfer

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
There's also a rumor that Leo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire are remaking The Third Man, so that may have tangled the rights even further. A terrible idea just got worse, if you ask me.
And yeah, it's a bummer that Howard's End got the Blu-ray treatment. I wonder how many voters in that Amazon poll actually planned on buying the disc, or if they just voted for their favorite title. It was easily the "safest" title in the poll. I'm sure Criterion will release dozens of titles in the next couple of years, so I'm content to wait for Terry Gilliam, David Cronenberg and Akira Kurosawa titles. It won't be long.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Howard's End is one of my all-time favourite films and will be a release day purchase. I know this may be heresy, but I much prefer it to Picnic at Hanging Rock and am quite gratified that it will be getting a Criterion treatment. Of course, I'd rather they both be available so fans of each can enjoy them at their best--but if I get to choose which one I'd like to see first (and I did), Howard's End is far and away, to me, a more satisfying choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks