What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (5 Viewers)

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Does anyone know if Criterion still has the rights to "Z" (1969)? I tried to do a search to see if this has been addressed before, but it's tough filtering a search for a film isolated to a single letter. I figured it would be easier to ask after some unsuccessful attempts at searching. I'm real interested in viewing this one but the old Criterion DVD commands some fairly high prices.
It is still streaming on the Criterion Channel and it is still available from them digitally on iTunes and Amazon.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
This is turning out to be the year of Bette Davis and it is not even her 100th Birthday. "Jezebel "and "Now, Voyager", new to blu ray and a Criterion release of "All About Eve ". WOW !! "Marked Woman" is the only Bette must have that I can think of not on blu. There are many other titles I would like see but these are the must haves.
PK6x7_gyQi3fBUQgOp0YN0omIf58XGF16v_IWD2OE3ODHs0d_lBu8ZenQgVqIuo39RbSkw8HoplS1Lj3wf1gJGN8YOvIUvXaSiJIJDKD_YsnnfwDSar-oH227CbojNIDm4SIBY6k8PwbxQ5WNXikk2lXDm-5VOQHnE4=s0-d-e1-ft

wVRKa648LaTJngeQJwDXt-Yu_1uGej9cltop2D46lakYgHafa93TW_MHP67T0Rw261dbEHCe8H1OMecUl8FXG3kJh3txLzH-ftfuJDB6JSOrHaMPJBW7IdVyqWqpcUBtVWiR4m1huOgOxEPRsi4w-mkXz-yV0Dy7R2Q=s0-d-e1-ft
okmcjy6ELQSj4MWbnDE3wzxVHOSZm0HVco7TYqiVmd_z23sDIILvUpjyO-Q4OM9cfiut98US9_sdfeKGLhuG-7WphlvVvQ1TiWR3-jwrw6Wpb-6lJ8jSjTfzalWyg3hYANvihrMS-ruP9kfH6WD8m9usvL5g31r8EtA=s0-d-e1-ft

Last edited:

Mark VH

Second Unit
Wow, what an amazing month. The Bette Davis movies feel like must-buys, and Cold War is an incredible film that many thought would never come out on physical media since it's an Amazon release and was only initially released through Prime. Great stuff.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t really understand the thinking behind a second physical release of All About Eve on Blu-ray. It would seem risky in this market to put out a second edition of something that’s already readily available. I wish them success but think their business would be better served with titles new to Blu-ray.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I don’t really understand the thinking behind a second physical release of All About Eve on Blu-ray. It would seem risky in this market to put out a second edition of something that’s already readily available. I wish them success but think their business would be better served with titles new to Blu-ray.

Agreed.

I own the original Fox Blu-ray. If I remember correctly, it looks great.

What is Criterion really bringing to the table here? How much better can they make this film look?

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I don’t really understand the thinking behind a second physical release of All About Eve on Blu-ray.

Well, I for one am thrilled. This is one of my favourite films. Who doesn't want their favourite films to get a 4K restoration?

Plus, there are some new extras, though I can't tell from the descriptions online if all the documentaries are the same.

But these extras are new for sure:

• 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New interview with costume historian Larry McQueen
  • Radio adaptation of the film from 1951
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Terrence Rafferty and the 1946 short story on which the film is based
You can never get enough new extras on one of your favs.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm with you, Josh. Though I'm sure it will look and sound terrific, I'd rather they give us The Little Foxes on Blu-ray. The Fox Blu-ray of Eve (which I reviewed) was plenty good enough.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m not saying don’t be thrilled or that it won’t be a good presentation. I’m just surprised that Criterion feels there’s a substantial market for this. As I said, I hope for it’s successful.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I kind of agree with you to a certain extent, but it is a new 4K transfer with some new bonus material. I'm generally happy with the first BD release of All About Eve. I will most likely buy this upcoming BD release too, but I'm not eagerly anticipating it like I am for Now Voyager.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
At first I was disappointed to see yet another Criterion release of a film already on blu-ray. But now I’m excited. It’s one of my favorites.

But it is joining an ever lengthening list including Do the Right Thing, The Graduate, In Cold Blood, In the Heat of the Night, The Manchurian Candidate, Midnight Cowboy, Notorious, Rebecca, Some Like It Hot, several of the Bergman films and probably a few others I’ve forgotten.

Last edited:

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

I agree, but they put out a second Blu-Ray of Some Like It Hot, which was well received and must have sold well.

Reactions: PMF

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
But it is joining an ever lengthening list including The Graduate, In Cold Blood, In the Heat of the Night, The Manchurian Candidate, Midnight Cowboy, Notorious, Rebecca, Some Like It Hot, several of the Bergman films and probably a few others I’ve forgotten.

Only a Criterion insider would know but perhaps all these 2nd edition blu rays met Criterion's sales expectations. We are constantly asked to support the archive to get more releases. Here is a case where we are getting more releases with new restorations. The system works. Go buy a Warner Archive title. Next year will be "Eve"'s 70th Anniversary so this can rightly be called the 70th Anniversary Edition. I suppose if it was a 4K release people would be as happy as they are for the umpteenth release of the "Wizard of Oz"

Last edited:

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
At first I was disappointed to see yet another Criterion release of a film already on blu-ray. But now I’m excited. It’s one of my favorites.

But it is joining an ever lengthening list including The Graduate, In Cold Blood, In the Heat of the Night, The Manchurian Candidate, Midnight Cowboy, Notorious, Rebecca, Some Like It Hot, several of the Bergman films and probably a few others I’ve forgotten.

There was a point where every single month at least one of the few slots was taken by an already on R1 Blu title.

To add to your list
Blue Velvet
Breakfast Club
Fire Walk With Me
Boyhood
Dr. Strangelove
Silence Of The Lambs
Princess Bride

practically every Wes Anderson film

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks