What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (2 Viewers)

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
FWIW, I didn't think you expressed negativity, it was a valid post. Heck, I was pleasantly surprised about the announcement.

It was the pile-on posts that came after. Yes, we get it people, you don't like Bette Davis and would prefer almost anything else fill those slots in Criterions release schedule.

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
Which is why these discussions are valuable. I was always "meh" about her, but reading from others about how excited they were for her films, and about her, I started checking out titles and she's won me over. I'm not going to be grabbing these titles, I'm good with my current copies/latest viewings and trying to cut down on physical media. Otherwise I'd be all over them.

FWIW, that is how I used to feel about Humphrey Bogart. After re-watching most of his major films (i.e. "Casablanca," "The Maltese Falcon,"
"In a Lonely Place," etc.), I finally started understanding his appeal and then seeking out his lesser known films. That's why I want to give "Jezebel" and "Now Voyager" second chances. "All About Eve" though has been given a couple of second chances so I consider that one a lost cause for me personally. Yet, I can objectively see that it is an important film so I see no reason why it wouldn't be a reasonable choice for the Criterion collection.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Sorry if I offended Bette Davis fans. No disrepect intended, but I had posted just a few days ago a question about "Z" being released on blu. Just disappointed that's all.

Last edited:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Just received the Kino release of Last Year in Marienbad and did a quick a/b comparison with the Criterion release. Comparing a few scenes I noticed that both were almost the same with Criterion having a sharper image and showing more on all four sides. A little disappointed with the Kino since i was expecting something better in a 4K transfer?

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Instead of rehashing great Blu Rays, why Can't Criterion release films like Z, Missing, Hamlet, Henry V, etc., that haven't been upgraded?

I realize Criterion is trying to reclaim all the films they had released on Laserdisc back in the day, but this is getting a bit much.

and as for Bette Davis, I've never liked her. She's an amazing actress, but it's her looks... I find she always looks like she's sneering down at someone. IDK. There are other Actress' i'm much more fond of.

While I wholly concur with Criterion getting busy to release films like Z, Hamlet, Henry V - and I would add, David Lean's Summertime in here too, plus the other Lean Brit-based masterpieces still MIA states side - particularly Great Expectations, Oliver Twist, Passionate Friends and Madeleine, I really don't understand the backlash herein, or elsewhere on this thread regarding Bette Davis - one of the truly outstanding actresses of the 20th century with a body of work that is not only impressive, but humbling. Can't wait for Now Voyager (from Criterion) and The Letter (from WAC). Would sincerely hope Old Acquaintance, The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, and The Little Foxes are not far behind - and then, of course, the rest.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
While I wholly concur with Criterion getting busy to release films like Z, Hamlet, Henry V - and I would add, David Lean's Summertime in here too, plus the other Lean Brit-based masterpieces still MIA states side - particularly Great Expectations, Oliver Twist, Passionate Friends and Madeleine, I really don't understand the backlash herein, or elsewhere on this thread regarding Bette Davis - one of the truly outstanding actresses of the 20th century with a body of work that is not only impressive, but humbling. Can't wait for Now Voyager (from Criterion) and The Letter (from WAC). Would sincerely hope Old Acquaintance, The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, and The Little Foxes are not far behind - and then, of course, the rest.
I need Great Expectations, too. I'll take that one!

ANd as for Bette Davis... while I don't care for her looks, and I'm not a huge fan of hers, I TOTALLY respect her and her work and I understand why she's such an amazing actress. While I stand by my statement that I'd rather Criterion release upgrades from DVD, If rereleasing All About Eve leads to other film I need for my collection, I'm all for it.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
The latest newsletter clue:

3a129946-21f6-4ee9-8f6d-918977553968.jpg

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
A Paramount film that hastened the implementation of the Production Code. It's based on Faulkner's Sanctuary, and it's a real shocker. After having been missing for decades, a 35mm print surfaced in time for the Paramount retrospective at MoMA in 1972. The museum arranged a private screening for Miriam Hopkins who sadly died shortly thereafter from heart disease. I caught the public screening and thought the film was quite, quite good. A Criterion treatment is very welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks